1st in group stage
BATE Borisov - 3-1 on aggregate
Rennes - 4-3 on aggregate
Napoli - 3-0 on aggregate
Valencia - 7-3 on aggregate

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought the Champions League final allocations were bad... Can imagine this will be a ballache to though

As if the stadium they've chosen for the Europa League final is bigger than the one for the Champions League as well.

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Thought the Champions League final allocations were bad... Can imagine this will be a ballache to though

As if the stadium they've chosen for the Europa League final is bigger than the one for the Champions League as well.

Something badly wrong with that allocation... they should be forced to produce a comprehensive list of where those tickets are going.. 

What the fuck? The tickets are also going to go on general sale to the public, 37k. So I imagine Chelsea and Arsenal fans can buy them from there. Only thing is, these won't be segregated and I assume banned fans will be able to go because the club can't monitor it? You end up with a Headhunters reunion in the 'neutral end'.

• Subscriber

I would also like to see the reasoning behind this. 6K for a 69K stadium per team is ridiculous. I'd imagine they'd give out at the least 15K per team to create a bigger fan-base for both teams but 6K is a pittance. 

• Subscriber

Petr Cech, ex-Chelsea keeper now playing for the Gunners in his last game and facing his old team, he could go out on a high or a low.

1195901299_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.25f59011846e0710a49e2fbedcd6d333.png

Arsenal qualify for Europa League final: Petr Cech says Chelsea game is dream end

Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech says it will be a "dream" to face former club Chelsea in the Europa League final in the last game of his career.

The Gunners booked their place in Baku after beating Valencia 7-3 on aggregate in the semi-final, and Cech, 36, is set to retire after the final.

Cech has consistently played in Europe this term, despite dropping behind Bernd Leno in the Premier League.

"It will be remarkable to end my career against Chelsea," he told BT Sport.

"The last dream was to play this European final and it has come true. Now the dream is to win the trophy."

The former Czech Republic international believes he could continue playing, but "wanted to retire on my terms".

Cech added: "You have days when you play well and you think you could continue, but I think I have made the decision with a lot of thought.

"I could possibly go another two years but I would rather retire early than too late."

Arsenal will play London rivals Chelsea in Baku, Azerbaijan on Wednesday, 29 May and manager Unai Emery said he is "proud of the whole club" after their impressive victory at Valencia.

Leading 3-1 from the first leg, Arsenal fell behind to Kevin Gameiro's opener before Pierre-Emerick Aubemeyang struck an impressive hat-trick and Alexandre Lacazette scored another as Arsenal progressed to their first European final since 2006.

Emery believes his side take "confidence from their strikers taking chances".

The Gunners boss told BT Sport: "We knew we had to be calm after they scored and we needed to control our emotions. It is very difficult to score four goals against this team because they are very organised.

"It is very difficult to play in finals and we took our opportunity today which we are happy about."

Aubemeyang and Lacazette have been pivotal in Arsenal's route to the final, having scored 13 competition goals between them, and the former says the club have "learned from last season" when they were knocked out by Atletico Madrid in the semi-final.

"This year we didn't make the same mistakes," the Gabon striker told BT. "Now we are through to the final.

"We have talked a lot about our relationship [with Lacazette] and it is a pleasure to play with him, above all, when you win games like this."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48222957

9 hours ago, Azeem said:

Battle of Mediocrity 

I prefer battle of the bottlejobs. 

Arsenal should want this more given it's their only path to CL. But our players look hungry for a trophy, as does Sarri. Just depends which Chelsea turns up or if we can maintain our intensity for the full 90 before going tits up. 

438726e2efbb0d3df86dd731278dccf5.jpg

• Administrator

Just find it so dumb that if they know the airport has smaller capacity, why have that city hosting it? 

They say they don't know who's going to be in the final when the location is decided 2 years previous to the final being held; but realistically surely even the smaller teams could have more than an allocation of 6k fans?! 

Just totally illogical from the start from UEFA. 

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

Countries like Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan etc are desperately trying to fit in Europe thats why you see them hosting these events like F1 and cup final

Well they're spending shitloads of money to have the ability to host these events to use them as PR for their countries. It's a joke though, if Baku's airport can't handle that many people coming in... it shouldn't be hosting a final where tens of thousands of people will fly in.

Mkhitaryan also is unlikely to be able to make the final... on the basis that he's Armenian and Azeris fucking hate Armenians, for the most part they're not even allowed in the country, and the club haven't received guarantees of his safety. Ridiculous to host the final there tbh.

2 hours ago, Azeem said:

Countries like Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan etc are desperately trying to fit in Europe thats why you see them hosting these events like F1 and cup final

That's all well and good but if the airports and buses etc are not up to scratch to host such huge crowds then somebody somewhere needs to be keeping things realistic... When I see things like this going on I still believe that there are little back door handshakes and deals going on that have fuck all to do with football and more about filling pockets with money and it's always the fans that get shafted.. 

• Administrator
Just now, Bluewolf said:

That's all well and good but if the airports and buses etc are not up to scratch to host such huge crowds then somebody somewhere needs to be keeping things realistic... When I see things like this going on I still believe that there are little back door handshakes and deals going on that have fuck all to do with football and more about filling pockets with money and it's always the fans that get shafted.. 

Corruption in football?! 

Surely not... 

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I never stopped believing that football was corrupt

3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Sports are now more geo-politics, image building, money then pure competition. The players and the fans are just secondary to the off field drama.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well they're spending shitloads of money to have the ability to host these events to use them as PR for their countries. It's a joke though, if Baku's airport can't handle that many people coming in... it shouldn't be hosting a final where tens of thousands of people will fly in.

Arent the number of flights that fly into the city are the same everyday? Or do they fly extra flights for events like this in europe?

If they dont schedule extra flights, how does that matter to the city? There should be same number of people coming via airports just like any other day? isnt it

1 hour ago, Asura said:

Arent the number of flights that fly into the city are the same everyday? Or do they fly extra flights for events like this in europe?

If they dont schedule extra flights, how does that matter to the city? There should be same number of people coming via airports just like any other day? isnt it

Well assuming that these fans don’t take an extended holiday in Baku either before or after the final... there’s more Arsenal & Chelsea fans that’ll be flying in (because of where London and Baku are, it’s really the most feasible option - if not the only option) than the airport can handle.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well assuming that these fans don’t take an extended holiday in Baku either before or after the final... there’s more Arsenal & Chelsea fans that’ll be flying in (because of where London and Baku are, it’s really the most feasible option - if not the only option) than the airport can handle.

Are airports meant to have special arrangements for traveling fans for such events ? or they have to go through the procedures with normal passengers 

33 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Are airports meant to have special arrangements for traveling fans for such events ? or they have to go through the procedures with normal passengers 

No but typically European finals are held in places where the airports generally can handle a massive influx of people for just a day or two that’s way over what an ordinary day is.

But maybe that’s why UEFA offered so few tickets to fans of clubs for both their finals. But however you slice it, UEFA are a bunch of twats and Baku is a poor choice for a host city of a final

20 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I get that mate, but my question is. Will there be special flights (additional flights) just to cater to the fans from london? Because, if thats not the case I dont see why it should be a problem as the airport is not seeing any additional flights on that weekend. 

Lets assume 200 flights fly into Baku every day, if there are no additional special flights for the final then there should be ~200 flights on that weekend too, how is that going to affect the airport handling capacity in this case?

However, if its a norm in europe to have extra flights for events like this then that could be an issue for smaller cities/airports.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Chelsea 4-1 Arsenal - Wednesday 29th May, 2019 - FINAL

Archived