talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Daniel James - Leeds United Interested in Loan Deal

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Daniel James Leaves Swansea - Man U next?
  • The title was changed to Daniel James Completes Man Utd Move

He scored 5 goals last season...

Will be interesting to see how he gets on, is a speed merchant and by all accounts only started playing really well from January onwards (around the time he spanked us). Obviously Giggs has had a word with someone at Old Trafford to make this happen. Be interesting to see if he’ll turn out good or was just bought off of the back of a good spell that won’t last.

• Subscriber

I can't decide if this is a shrewd bit of business or just Man Utd playing a young, hungry player narrative to justify not spending big money.

Very undecided. Time will tell on this. My gut instinct is that it's a mistake for both them and the player and he'll be sold to someone like Newcastle in a couple of years.

20 hours ago, Danny said:

He scored 5 goals last season...

Will be interesting to see how he gets on, is a speed merchant and by all accounts only started playing really well from January onwards (around the time he spanked us). Obviously Giggs has had a word with someone at Old Trafford to make this happen. Be interesting to see if he’ll turn out good or was just bought off of the back of a good spell that won’t last.

Was it his job to score goals? Does he do anything else well but run very quickly?

With the greatest respect, @Danny's opinion is based on hearsay more than watching the lad. And if you've watched him, you'll know he is a good player.

Having seen the player in the Championship, yes he's very fast but he emerged around September October and really burst onto the scene. His job is not to score goals, but to create. He may be developed more into a forward as time goes on, like Sterling. He has that in his locker. But i think Solskjaer will want United to use the wings more like they did under Fergie.

I like a player that isn't scared to be direct. He will run at defenders and get them back peddling. I would say he needs to work on his football brain, identifying the better pass, final ball, finish etc.

But he's bags of potential. And at a club who can develop him further given their success with youth. My only concern is he isn't holding down a place straight away. And maybe that is what United need to remember. 

We nearly signed him on the last day of January. Player was waiting at Elland Road after agreeing terms, photo in the kit, just needed Swansea to dot the i's and cross the t's and they pulled the plug last minute. Absolute shithousery mucking the lad about over board politics.

We'd have got him for £7m plus add ons if we went up. Instead we lost out and ended with no one which hurt us. He'd have fit our system under Bielsa like a glove.

Salt in the wound United have him now. We will see what happens. But I rate him because he has bags of potential to grow.

Yeah I’ve not watched loads of him so I couldn’t say, he’s had a good half a season or so and built a good reputation with Wales hence United probably signing him off of Giggs’ recommendation.

But my question about whether he’ll be good enough is just based on what we’ve done with players. Scott Hogan and Jota for example, both had a good couple of 6 months in the Championship with us and were bought by their clubs for big money under the pretense they could keep their form up. But neither could because we sold before their performances could drop back to their more consistent levels which weren’t as good. Seeing Dan James suddenly burst onto the scene like that and get a big move off of it just raises alarm bells.

He might be great, I don’t know. Just speculating, obviously people who’ve watched him more consistently will know better.

2 minutes ago, Fusion said:

Is he a winger or another Martial/Rashford that is a striker and is getting deployed in the wings? If it's the first, then its great because we don't have any natural wingers.

giphy.gif

• 7 months later...
Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Squad player at best. 

Yeah interesting to see how it's panning out, obviously United are a shambles and he shouldn't be criticised individually for that but he was scoring left, right and centre at the beginning of the season. Reckon teams have worked him out now or was he just performing above his standard?

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Yeah interesting to see how it's panning out, obviously United are a shambles and he shouldn't be criticised individually for that but he was scoring left, right and centre at the beginning of the season. Reckon teams have worked him out now or was he just performing above his standard?

Neither. He's mentally exhausted. It's the same with Mason Mount.

These are young players playing their first season in the Premier League. For a top club. Instead of being easily transitioned in, they are being asked to play every game. At times the entire 90 minutes. 

It's no surprise their decision making has gone down. 

• Subscriber
On 13/06/2019 at 00:15, Dan said:

I can't decide if this is a shrewd bit of business or just Man Utd playing a young, hungry player narrative to justify not spending big money.

Very undecided. Time will tell on this. My gut instinct is that it's a mistake for both them and the player and he'll be sold to someone like Newcastle in a couple of years.

Yeah trust your gut instinct. Not good enough.

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Neither. He's mentally exhausted. It's the same with Mason Mount.

These are young players playing their first season in the Premier League. For a top club. Instead of being easily transitioned in, they are being asked to play every game. At times the entire 90 minutes. 

It's no surprise their decision making has gone down. 

I think maybe a mix of that and his ability tbh...he's scored some screamers I'll give him that but a few of those goals were also not the best taken and probably more indicative of his level

• The topic was locked

Archived