• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round 06: Monaco

football forum

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Sigh. Gutted for Max; especially for that 5 second penalty for unsafe release. Would have deserved to be on the podium today; the only one who kept the race intense a bit at least. Kept up with Lewis and pushed him for the whole race; too bad that last overtake chance didn't work out.  

Hamilton whining about his tyres and making it sound as if he's having huge issues with the car in order to make his win appear more dramatic is annoying af every time though.

I know its hard to pass on this track, but Bottas again shown why he will never be championship material. Made no attempt to put any pressure on Vettel, it is early in the season but you're playing catch up already. The guy has no balks at all.

• Subscriber

Also what an awful weekend for Sauber... Everything that could go wrong went wrong today :( Dammit. Finishing behind one of the Williams and Stroll. Damn. Happy for Russell though; 15th is a good place to finish with that car!

Red Bull and Toro Rosso both looking good; Honda made some serious improvements; love it. Red Bull look so good on corners.

3 hours ago, nudge said:

Sigh. Gutted for Max; especially for that 5 second penalty for unsafe release. Would have deserved to be on the podium today; the only one who kept the race intense a bit at least. Kept up with Lewis and pushed him for the whole race; too bad that last overtake chance didn't work out.  

Hamilton whining about his tyres and making it sound as if he's having huge issues with the car in order to make his win appear more dramatic is annoying af every time though.

Initially never agreed with what you wrote, but they do blag F1 drivers to over-glorify things. Looking back I now 100% agree, because despite his tires I never saw Hamilton lock up once.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, MUFC said:

I know its hard to pass on this track, but Bottas again shown why he will never be championship material

That's rubbish mate. I'm not saying he is championship material necessarily but Vettel who has won 4 titles followed Ricciardo who was 160BHP down for most of the race last year and couldn't get past. Verstappen the same with Hamilton today with a much faster car but you wouldn't say that means Max isn't championship material. Bottas didn't have anything like the same performance advantage over Vettel this afternoon, it's just impossible to pass at Monaco unless it rains or your rival makes a mistake.

Odd race overall. Enjoyed the tension but you get that same feeling of frustration you always get with Monaco where there's an exciting race set up and then nothing actually happens because it's impossible to overtake, and youbend up feeling dumb for spending 50 laps convinced there might be a lead change. Leclerc was very hot headed and you could tell his race would end the way it did from very early on. Hamilton was lucky with the pit lane incident and Mercedes were lucky because putting the Mediums on was a pretty stupid call under pressure. He did well in the end not to make any mistakes. Max is also unlucky today, drove well but suffered from the team's mistake.

I still can't tell at all what the pecking order is in the midfield. It's literally

Mercedes

Ferrari/Red Bull

??????

Williams.

Kubica looks completely lost at sea, he actually seems to be getting further away from Russell each weekend.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That's rubbish mate. I'm not saying he is championship material necessarily but Vettel who has won 4 titles followed Ricciardo who was 160BHP down for most of the race last year and couldn't get past. Verstappen the same with Hamilton today with a much faster car but you wouldn't say that means Max isn't championship material. Bottas didn't have anything like the same performance advantage over Vettel this afternoon, it's just impossible to pass at Monaco unless it rains or your rival makes a mistake.

Odd race overall. Enjoyed the tension but you get that same feeling of frustration you always get with Monaco where there's an exciting race set up and then nothing actually happens because it's impossible to overtake, and youbend up feeling dumb for spending 50 laps convinced there might be a lead change. Leclerc was very hot headed and you could tell his race would end the way it did from very early on. Hamilton was lucky with the pit lane incident and Mercedes were lucky because putting the Mediums on was a pretty stupid call under pressure. He did well in the end not to make any mistakes. Max is also unlucky today, drove well but suffered from the team's mistake.

I still can't tell at all what the pecking order is in the midfield. It's literally

Mercedes

Ferrari/Red Bull

??????

Williams.

Kubica looks completely lost at sea, he actually seems to be getting further away from Russell each weekend.

This isn't just about today, have made many similar posts about Bottas being good at defending from the front but not being ruthless when chasing down. I agree about Vettel last season vs Ricciardo, but like Bottas today he never really made an attempt to pass, reason was last season Vettel had bad tire wear so just held position. I felt today Bottas should have went for it, he is trailing, last season Vettel was able to play the percentages in Monaco and take no risks.reason is is because prior to the Monaco GP he was leading and ahead of Lewis all race. Today Bottas was trailing Lewis prior to the race and really needed to give it ago at least. Last season Max cut through the field at Monaco and went for it today.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, MUFC said:

This isn't just about today, have made many similar posts about Bottas being good at defending from the front but not being ruthless when chasing down. I agree about Vettel last season vs Ricciardo, but like Bottas today he never really made an attempt to pass, reason was last season Vettel had bad tire wear so just held position. I felt today Bottas should have went for it, he is trailing, last season Vettel was able to play the percentages in Monaco and take no risks.reason is is because prior to the Monaco GP he was leading and ahead of Lewis all race. Today Bottas was trailing Lewis prior to the race and really needed to give it ago at least. Last season Max cut through the field at Monaco and went for it today.

There have been other occasions where Bottas has betrayed himself as a not quite elite driver but being unable to pass a fully healthy Ferrari driven by a four time champion on a dry Monaco track isn't one of them.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

There have been other occasions where Bottas has betrayed himself as a not quite elite driver but being unable to pass a fully healthy Ferrari driven by a four time champion on a dry Monaco track isn't one of them.

I understand where you're coming from, but saying unable is being kind as he applied no pressure at all.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived