talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Stan - The Football Manager 2017 Journey

football forum

• Administrator

Made it! Just! Went 2-0 up against Maidstone in the first half. Conceded the lead and they had a free-kick which hit the bar in the final minute and final highlight of the game :o

York lost and Barrow drew!

I now face Wrexham in the play-offs. 
Dag & Red face Gateshead. The latter being the favourites for promotion now

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Second leg play-off semi-final

Wrexham 0-1 Tranmerre

Made it to the final!! What a time to keep a clean sheet xD

I will now play Gateshead in the final. 

They beat Dag & Red on penalties after it was 5-5 on aggregate!

• Administrator

TRANMERE ROVERS FOOTBALL CLUB - SUMMARY JANUARY - MAY 2017.

On 1st January, 2017, not only did it mark a new year for the club, but it also marked a new chapter in Stan's managerial career.

Tranmere Rovers at that point had just got rid of their previous manager after lying just outside of the play-off spots in the Vanarama National League and not having won in 5 games. That was clearly not enough so the Tranmere Rovers board wanted to find someone with real pedigree to succeed and someone who relished a challenge in getting Tranmere back in to the Football League. 

In came Stan to steady the ship and guide the The Rovers up the table. Financially, Tranmere are relatively okay compared to the rest of the league but Stan was also given the task to not overspend, keep the wages and overall finances low. After relieving a few less than useful players of their duties, a limited amount of funds were freed up and Tranmere, in desperate need of a left-back, signed Rob Taylor. An experienced left-wing back perfect for Stan's tactical plans.

JANUARY 2017

It was a decent start to Stan's Tranmere life. 

Jan 2017.PNG

3 wins in the first 5 games and things were on the up. Fans had taken to the positive start by Stan and had a bright outlook for the 2nd half of the season. Stan was satisfied with how the squad was looking and settled on a 4-3-3 narrow formation. The 3 strikers were pivotal in Stan's desired method of playing - James Norwood, Jack Dunn & Cole Stockton providing the firepower. James Norwood was the main striker, in the Attacking Forward role. Either side of him would be a Defensive Forward to link up play with the midfield, and a Target Man should we need to resort to pumping long balls up in the air and go a bit more direct.

3 central midfielders were the engine room, the non-stop runners to carve open and/or block out the opposition. 

Things had begun to click as the month ended with a convincing victory over play-off hopeful rivals Barrow.

FEBRUARY & MARCH 2017

By now, the players at the club had really bought in to Stan's philosophy of playing attacking football and guiding themselves up and up to even challenge for the title. That perhaps proved a step too far, however, Tranmere had established themselves well in the play-off hunt. 

Feb March 2017.PNG

A 10-match unbeaten run even got Tranmere at the heady heights of 1st in the league after the game against North Ferriby United. Morale was high in the squad but perhaps the pressure got to the players with a 1-1 draw against Braintree. 

It was at this point Stan went searching for more firepower in the hope that experience and ability could help his side over the line. Stan went delving around deep in to the depths of the Football Manager database and sourced a pace merchant as well as a proven goalscorer. In came Dany N'Guessan (who Stan knows from his Leicester-supporting days) and Marcus Tudgay - a proven Football League striker. 

APRIL 2017

april 2017.PNG
The pressure certainly did tell as we had only won 2 of the last 7 matches, and it majorly hindered the promotion push. Although not dropping out of the play-offs, the 4-2 loss sent Tranmere down to 6th and it simply further emphasised just how tight the division was and even more so, just how precious 3 points are in each game. Losing the leads against Southport and Maidstone proved crucial. Despite the 2 draws, play-offs were confirmed and Tranmere finished in 4th spot.

MAY 2017

Vanarama National League_ Overview Past Positions.png

After rising from 7th to 4th since Stan came in, the players needed that extra bit of motivation and focus for the play-offs. Stan could sense complacency creeping in.

So Stan called a meeting with all the players - re-inforcing the required focus necessary and getting the morale to Very Good levels was very important to Stan. Players responded in the best way....

may 2017.PNG

After defeat to Wrexham earlier in the season, the players avenged that game and dispatched of the Welsh club almost too easily. A convincing home win and a comfortable away victory had meant Tranmere's players would be playing at Wembley once again. Ironically, the last time Tranmere had played at Wembley was in the 2000 League Cup Final - a match which Stan had attended himself and celebrated as Leicester ran out League Cup winners over the club he now manages. 

Sadly, for Tranmere, it was to be heartbreak again as a Gateshead extra-time goal saw victory for the Geordies and Tranmere's players could only sink to the hallowed turf of England's football home. After a roller-coaster of a match, both teams put on the greatest spectacle of football. Stan conceded that Gateshead were the better team on the day and as much battling and fighting Tranmere's players could do, Gateshead ran out winners. 

Stan remained buoyant and post-match, re-iterated his desire to take Tranmere in to the Football League. The foundations are there at Tranmere. Can Stan take them over the line in 2017/18?

• Administrator

well in to pre-season now. nearing the start of 2017/18 season actually.

Happy with my transfer business. My keeper, Scott Davies, kicked up a fuss when I rejected a bid from a League One side and was adamant to leave. So I put him up for transfer and Bristol City came in with a bid over what the League One side were asking for. So win-win for all parties. I get the money, he gets his move. 

Used that money to sign some experience for that division - Theo Robinson, Roger Johnson and Owen Garvan, especially. Walters and Roberts are youngsters.

Sterry continues his loan from Newcastle and was up for Player of the Season last season. Not bad for a right-back! Robbie Patten is also on loan again for this coming season from Cardiff. 

Tranmere Rovers_  Transfer History.png

• Administrator

and for anyone who's interested, this is how looked across the big competitions for last season...

Premier League

Winners - Arsenal, by 8 points. Chelsea & Utd finish behind them on 82 points. 
Relegated - Leicester City (!!) (33pts), Southampton (31pts), Swansea (26 pts). 
Can't remember who it was we were talking with in another thread about Everton in the game itself. But they survived by 4 points. @Cannabis @Bluebird Hewitt

Championship
Promoted - Norwich, Newcastle top 2. QPR play-off winners
Relegated - Rotherham, Preston & Burton

Champions League
Barcelona 1-1 Bayern - Bayern win 3-1 on penalties 

Europa League
Ajax 0-4 Man Utd

La Liga
Winners - Real Madrid - 84 points
Runners-up - Barcelona - 80 points

Bundesliga
Winners - Bayern - 70 points
Runners-up - RB Leipzig - 69 points

Serie A
Winners - Juventus - 82 points
Runners-up - Roma - 71 points

• Administrator

REVENGE!!!!

Drew the first game agains Gateshead 1-1. Disappointed with that to be honest.

However, I was NOT disappointed with the epic replay which ensued. What a game. Possibly my best ever?

Gateshead v Tranmere_ Pitch Split.png

Thought I had it in normal time when Margetts made it 3-2. Then they attacked and attacked and had a header bounce in off the bar. Couldn't believe it. Thought I'd lose it in extra-time, but my boys pulled through! Get in!

• Administrator

Lost against Sheffield Utd 1-0 in the FA Cup. Got to the 2nd round as per objective by my board. They're happy that I'm currently exceeding play-off expectations in the league. Us and Aldershot still neck-and-neck at the top.

Meanwhile, the game is as original as ever.

Look at the name of the press reporter xD 

Sunil Parmar_  Inbox-3.png

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Toony said:

Looking good Stan, hope you don't get shit run of form like I did on my Newcastle save :D

haha so I noticed.

I lost against Aldershot and I thought it would affect my players. Same with the loss against Sheff Utd but I think I've instilled enough motivation and confidence in my players that they bounce back well from defeat :) 

• Administrator

I've absolutely fucked it and I have no idea why. Aldershot now leading at the top and I can't score for shit. Don't fucking understand this cunt of a game sometimes. Weird fucking shit. My strikers have become massive cunts and can't hit the fucking target, let alone score anyway. 

Seriously what the fuck do I have to do to continue the form I used to be in?

• Administrator

in a weird turn of events, I've been linked with jobs at Northampton (21st in League One), AFC Wimbledon (16th in League Two) and been offered an interview with Yeovil (18th in League Two).

Denied all as I want to get Tranmere out of Vanarama National League before considering another job.

• Administrator

Aldershot have bagged the title with 2 games left. A sorry end to my season and I don't think I'll make it out of the play-offs, either. Could be heartbreak again!

Vanarama National League_ Overview Stages-6.png

I mean, what kind of form is this for a title-chasing side?!

Tranmere Rovers_  Senior Fixtures-4.png

• Administrator

TRANMERE PROMOTED BACK IN TO THE FOOTBAL LEAGUE!!!

Image result for tranmere celebrations

The Tranmere Times had exclusive coverage of the play-off final and inside the Tranmere dressing room as Tranmere Rovers celebrated promotion back in to the Football League.

Tranmere throw-in talisman and cult hero, Dave Challinor, couldn't have been happier 'the players have done great, after a long, hard, gruelling season. But all credit goes to the manager for getting these lads across the line. Stan is now a legend for getting Tranmere where they should be and that's in the Football League'. Challinor had clearly been on the champagne early as he went on to say 'the club should change it's name to 'Stanmere Rovers' in Stan's honour. As unlikely as this is to happen, everyone at The Tranmere Times wishes to pass its congratulations on to Stan, the players, and the board for giving their backing to such a young and ambitious manager over the past couple of seasons.

Below is a match summary of the game. James Norwood was the start of the show, bagging a brace in what turned out to be a comfortable victory. It was less intense than last season's heartbreak but at least the players can now put that to bed and look forward to playing amongst League Two's finest. Who knows where this Tranmere side can go next?!

York v Tranmere_ Analysis Post-Match.png

• Administrator

Competitions Summary - 2017/2018

Premier League

Winners - Tottenham - 82 points
Runners-up - Arsenal - 81 points. 
Relegated - Sunderland (34 points), Newcastle (32 points), QPR (22 points)

Championship
Promoted - Leicester (96 pts), Southampton (93 pts), Fulham (play-off winners)
Relegated - Barnsley, MK Dons & Gillingham

Champions League

Bayern 2-2 Atletico Madrid (Bayern win 3-2 on penalties) 

Europa League

AS Monaco 2-2 Tottenham (Tottenham win 5-4 on penalties)

La Liga

Winners - Real Madrid - 97 points
Runners-up - Barcelona - 86 points

Bundesliga
Winners - Dortmund - 70 points
Runners-up - Bayern - 69 points

Serie A
Winners - Juventus - 79 points, +34 GD
Runners-up - Napoli - 79 points, +28 GD

• Administrator

Time for a bit of an update.

Still with Tranmere! Scoring and conceding for fun in League Two. Mid-table but scored the most in the league. 

Quite pleased with 25 points so far. Some ridiculous away wins i.e. against Portsmouth who were top (I was in bottom 2), and Colchester just for the amount of goals.

I care not for the cup competitions so wasn't bothered i got thrashed by Rotherham or got knocked out of the pointless Checkatrade Trophy. As @Cannabis said, it's all about avoiding relegation. I'm inconsistent but you pretty much get that for a mid-table team in any league, let alone League Two. 

Sky Bet League Two_ Overview Stages.png

Tranmere Rovers_  Senior Fixtures-5.png

Getting job offers left, right & centre as well. Been offered an interview for Southend (21st in League One), Swindon (2nd in League One) and Wigan (24th in Championship).

Rejected them all as I want to see how far I can get Tranmere in this division or maybe higher. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

That's impressive. :ph34r:

This definitely fucking is. I actually can't believe it. Ridiculous run of form. 

Never expected this in the slightest. Think I was so inconsistent earlier because I chopped and changed formation too frequently.

Sky Bet League Two_ Overview Stages-2.png

Tranmere Rovers_  Senior Fixtures-6.png

• The title was changed to Stan - The Football Manager 2017 Journey

Archived