talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Stan - The Football Manager 2017 Journey

football forum

Firstly well done on getting promoted. With two teams going up I can imagine it being a shit league to get out of.

Second I expected a mid table finish given the way some teams roll over in league two but back to back promotions is very impressive.

I reckon Tramnere in terms of size of club and possible players to attract could be a Championship club. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Cheers. Not quite got promotion yet and I think the weaknesses of my squad are coming through as I've been a bit inconsistent recently. Still in with a shout though!

• Administrator

Well isn't this getting a bit tasty!

Capture.PNG

I've got Bristol Rovers and Mansfield away as my final 2 games. One more win should do it depending on Doncaster's results. 

Having said that, I just beat Doncaster 4-3 at home after being 3-2 down. Tense but great finish!

Can't believe I'm fighting it out for promotion in my first season in League Two. Crazy stuff.

I'm going to do a transfer summary because I kept a lot of my squad from Conference last season. A lot on frees or minimal amounts. Their values have shot up so I'll be making the club a lot of money if I get promoted and/or sell players. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

What do you reckon about next season now Stan? The first ten games are going to be interesting to see where you find yourself.

Will be very interesting. 

I'll go in to it as I did in League Two at the start of this season. Avoid relegation. I put together a sensational run of form out of the blue so maybe I can replicate that again.

Will have to be very shrewd with my signings though.

These were my signings for this season just gone. Some were far too good for League Two so was lucky I could nab them. Players like George Evans, Oliver McBurnie, Josh Sheehan. Excelled at that level.

As with anything, there were a few transfers that didn't get much time to play because they were poor (Paul Taylor, Billy Knott, Vashon Neufville)

Loans:
loans.PNG

Cash Transfers:
cash.PNG

Frees:

free.PNG

• Administrator

@Aaroncpfc 10 games in...

Sky Bet League One_ Overview Stages.png

xD. Ridiculous. Unbeaten as well. My team's determination to come back after conceding or to keep on scoring and seeing out games is top notch.

Also, Bolton are bottom, sorry @StefBWFC xD 

• Administrator

the annual 'down all tools, lose a lot of games, make the league competitive' time has come again.

Horrid run of form. Lost top spot and now it's bunched up between the top 5/6. I think the game gets bored of a winning tactic and decides to make it interesting for everyone ¬¬¬¬

Sky Bet League One_ Overview Stages-2.pngTranmere Rovers_  Senior Fixtures-7.png

I'm still backing you for promotion there. Would be an incredible story. I think The Championship is where you may get stuck mind you.

Wayne Rooney must have had some pretty shit luck on your save to accept those terms before he retires. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I'm still backing you for promotion there. Would be an incredible story. I think The Championship is where you may get stuck mind you.

Wayne Rooney must have had some pretty shit luck on your save to accept those terms before he retires. 

Cheers. I feel like I'm just scraping over the line right now!

Agree about The Championship. I'm torn whether to keep trying with Tranmere or perhaps look for a bigger club to move to.

• Administrator

also, in the Premier League, FOUR teams all level at the top going in to the final day of the season.

Oh and @Cannabis, sorry, but Everton sticking to the FM Rule of being shite. 

English Premier Division_ Overview Stages.png

Utd play Liverpool at home on the last day. 

• Administrator

The Tranmere journey is coming to an end. I think I've taken them as far as I can. Lost in the play-offs to Wigan and as the saying goes, I was punching above my weight with them in League One and fighting it out at the top. Exceeded expectations as was meant to be avoiding relegation! Can't complain about 2 promotions and coming ever so close to getting promoted to the Championship in 2 seasons!

Time to go searching for jobs. Norwich are available - they just got relegated from the Premier League so the challenge would be to get them back up instantly...

• The title was changed to Stan - The Football Manager 2017 Journey
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Whats your squad like? With parachute payments I presume Automatic Promotion is the expectation?

automatic promotion definitely on the cards. Had to promise that to a few players to keep them in the squad.

Despite that, other players wanted to leave so I've let them. Managed to get Raheem Sterling & Patrick Roberts in on free transfers (!!). Jese was let go by PSG for cheap so got him in. Made a lot of transfers to be honest. THeir squad was so poor and no wonder they got relegated. They barely had any defenders to start with.

Transfers in: (add Marcus Edwards on loan from Spurs as well just off the page)
in.PNG

Transfers out:
out.PNG

Net profit of £8m which has given me room to manouevre in the transfer market and some of the players sold were on between £40-50k so freed up a lot of wages.

It's a shame you couldn't have kept Sanabria but having Sterling and Jese in The Championship is a massive advantage. Connor Goldson, Lewis Dunk, Marcus Edwards and Joe Gomez are traditionally good FM players. Whilst Issac Hayden is just the fucking man. I reckon you should be aiming for top two.

I couldn't get tunes out of Ben Pearson and Patrick Roberts on this game but as everybody else has managed to do it with Tom fucking Bradhsaw apart from me it's probably just poor man management on my part.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

It's a shame you couldn't have kept Sanabria but having Sterling and Jese in The Championship is a massive advantage. Connor Goldson, Lewis Dunk, Marcus Edwards and Joe Gomez are traditionally good FM players. Whilst Issac Hayden is just the fucking man. I reckon you should be aiming for top two.

I couldn't get tunes out of Ben Pearson and Patrick Roberts on this game but as everybody else has managed to do it with Tom fucking Bradhsaw apart from me it's probably just poor man management on my part.

what team did you have the players with? how should I not use them xD?

Sterling and Jese have to perform for me in this division. They're simply too good for it which is why I was so surprised that they wanted to enter in to contract talks with us.

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

what team did you have the players with? how should I not use them xD?

Sterling and Jese have to perform for me in this division. They're simply too good for it which is why I was so surprised that they wanted to enter in to contract talks with us.

Probably being a bit harsh on Ben Pearson at Preston. He was always good for mid/lower Championship level. It's just all my other central midfielders were better than where we were at so selling him for a good price made sense.

Patrick Roberts was signed in January when we were second at Ipswich. More of a statement of intent that we would get promoted that season, but he was never more than 6/10. Played as an attacking right winger he never got going. I tried playing him in The Carling Cup to gain confidence but it never happened, and when he said he felt he wasn't good enough to play for us I decided to let him go. More of a confidence thing I imagine. He seems to do well at West Brom on every save mind you.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Probably being a bit harsh on Ben Pearson at Preston. He was always good for mid/lower Championship level. It's just all my other central midfielders were better than where we were at so selling him for a good price made sense.

Patrick Roberts was signed in January when we were second at Ipswich. More of a statement of intent that we would get promoted that season, but he was never more than 6/10. Played as an attacking right winger he never got going. I tried playing him in The Carling Cup to gain confidence but it never happened, and when he said he felt he wasn't good enough to play for us I decided to let him go. More of a confidence thing I imagine. He seems to do well at West Brom on every save mind you.

fair enough. I'll see how they get on. Pearson won't be first team unless 2 other defensive midfielders get injured. 

Roberts I'd like to use quite often but I've got a plethora of attacking midfielders. Tammy Abraham is also in the squad too and he can be used as a winger. 

• Administrator

this is painful :( 

Keep conceding last minute goals and I don't know how to combat it. Patrick Roberts is a shitcunt. Fucking shite player. Jese hasn't got going. Sterling is very injury prone. 

Average all over. I think the several signings i've made is coming back to bite me. Taking ages to gel. Not won in about 6 games. Struggling to find a successful tactic to suit my players but also need to persevere with a tactic so my players can get used to playing in one. This game is pissing me off big time. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Patrick Roberts. What a cunt.

the irony of it all (he's still shit but the form got better immediately after that previous update xD )

So this is what prompted that update...
form1.PNG

This is immediately after that update, settling on a 4-2-3-1 Control formation. 2 CMs as a Central Midfielder/Deep Lying Playmaker. AML and AMR as a winger. 1 AMC as attacking midfielder. 1 Attacking Forward.
form2.PNG

This is recent form, where I lost my grip on the top 2 and eventually had to settle for play-offs
form3.PNG

League table at Game 45:
Sky Bet Championship_ Overview Stages.png

Form guide over the season. Landed on the point where I was mid-table and shot up after the superb mid-season form.
Sky Bet Championship_ Overview Past Positions.png

Tammy Abraham has got me 18 goals. Zach Clough (Everton) has bossed it with 31 goals). 
Jese got his scoring boots on with a few long-distance goals. Raheem Sterling has 5 goals and 8 assists in 33 games. My other striker, Corentin Jean, has 14 goals and 3 assists in 22 games. 

Archived