talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City - Champions 2018/19

12 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I agree with this bit, but I still see Pep as a league manager primarily.

Simeone for me is a cup manager for example. Also Marcelo Gallardo. Very few times you'll find a manager who knows how to manage both well.

Simeone's La Liga record is very good though. Considering the two monsters he competes against, he's managed to win a title and is the number one side in Madrid once again. His cup record is brilliant too which for me says he's an allrounder. Another thing is the appeal of his football style... Definitely not to my liking.

But it is an interesting topic in general because there is something to it. History tells us there's been managers that have been better in league formats than the lottery that is cup football. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

823676021_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.26831e701d8fb5fddb5293027c01839a.png

Manchester City retain Premier League: 'This is my toughest title,' says Pep Guardiola

download.thumb.png.2ccc7ffd474a563797069438f874402c.png

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola says retaining the Premier League trophy this year was the "toughest" title of his career.

City came from behind to claim a 4-1 victory over Brighton at the Amex Stadium on Saturday and beat Liverpool to the title by one point.

It is the eighth time in Guardiola's past 10 seasons as a manager that his side have won the league title.

"To win the title we had to win 14 games in a row," said Guardiola.

"This was the toughest title in all my career, by far."

Liverpool came to the Etihad in January leading by seven points but were beaten 2-1 by City, their only defeat of the campaign.

Following a 2-1 defeat by Newcastle later that month, City won a league record 14 straight matches to end the season on top.

The Reds finished on 97 points, the third-highest top-flight total in English football history - behind City's title triumphs this season (98) and last season (100).

"I have to say congratulations to Liverpool of course, thank you so much," Guardiola told Sky Sports.

"Last season Manchester City made the standards. They helped to push us and to increase our standards from last season.

"To compete against this team pushed us to do what we have done. It's incredible, 198 points in two seasons.

"Normally if you get 100 points the tendency is to go down but Liverpool helped us to be consistent."

Guardiola won three La Liga titles in a row in his first three years in charge at Barcelona and three consecutive Bundesliga titles in his three seasons at Bayern Munich before joining City.

The Spaniard, 48, said that he expected next season to be tougher still as his side seek a third straight title.

Manchester United are the only club to win three consecutive Premier League titles and have done so twice, from 1998-99 to 2000-01 and 2006-07 to 2008-09.

"It will be tougher but we will be stronger too," said Guardiola.

"When you can win two in a row I have the feeling that next season we will come back and try to be who we are right now."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48248440

23 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Congratulations @Happy Blue

Liverpool ran you all the way.. been a great title race this season no doubt about it.. very unlucky Liverpool.. 97 points and only lost 1 game all season and still wasn't enough to win the title.. great effort

Thanks mate  ..maybe Chelsea can join the party next season :twothumbsup:

344uxl5.jpg

It's a shame Liverpool didn't do it after the way they have played this season and they'd have won it pretty much any other season, but it was always going to be City's once they grew into the campaign. Fair play to Pep also, 8 major European league titles in 10 years. 

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It is impressive but let's see him go to a sleeping giant type club next. Take a Napoli, Liverpool, Milan, Dortmund type club to the top of their league.

He never will - it's like Mourinho and the criticism leveled at him (although Mourinho's now failed twice so maybe he has less of a choice). With his track record, Pep will get offers from sides that are ready, willing, and able to compete right now - probably with any European powerhouse - Juve or a Barca return next would be my next guess.

The other jobs are more of a "challenge" and maybe he may want to give himself a challenge at some point in his career. But at this point, why would we expect him to give up the highest paying jobs with the best chance of success? Those are the jobs he can land, and that's why he's only taken those jobs.

Guardiola is the best manager in the world at making a dominant force more consistent, but he's only ever properly created his own force once, at Barcelona. Obviously its quite natural to take the option of taking on a dominant side, with the freedom to seek perfection, as opposed to being forced to build from scratch.

However, I also think there's an aspect of insecurity, where doesn't feel he could create something truly his own outwith the environment of his hometown club. He never really settled within the culture at Bayern, which I think grated on him slightly. And City have essentially created their club culture around him, even before they had him. He didn't need to worry about fitting in because the club was so desperate to please him and not vice-versa.

He wants to be somewhere where he can only think about the football. 

It's quite a contrast from Klopp, who I think cant think of football as an isolated phenomenon detached from a place and a people. He can't coach somewhere where there isn't a deep well of history and culture to throw himself into. 

It's also why I think he's not worked in Spain, and probably won't ever work in Spain - he could never make himself truly part of a club there because he would be learning Spanish from scratch, and it's too much of a barrier for him.

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

Obviously its quite natural to take the option of taking on a dominant side, with the freedom to seek perfection

This is what drives Guardiola where football is concerned. He is a total disciple of Cruyff and that's what Johan was all about. I bet Pep secretly wishes football wasn't dictated by winning honours and more a disipline with a point format as in gymnastics. He is obsessed with providing the perfect game in the manner he views perfection in football mind you. 

17 hours ago, MUFC said:

Why are City so poor in the CL?

They got knocked out by a cruel twist of fate with VAR.Wouldn't say that was poor IMO, just bad luck.

Last year if they had VAR, they could arguably have beaten Liverpool.

Ultimately they need to crack that competition to complete the set but they aren't necessarily poor in the competition.

Looks like they enjoyed their celebrations...

We're used to fans chanting tasteless things but actual footballers, let alone the Premier League champions, behaving like this is pretty disgusting.

On 13/05/2019 at 02:43, Spike said:

There is quite a gap for every team to make up between the top two dogs! Hopefull it's a threeway race next season :farmer:

City have a second string 11 featuring entirely world class £40m+ players.

95 points will be par for the course for them into the future.

Liverpool will not replicate that level of form so easily. Whilst we nearly equalled their achievement this season it did not come anywhere near as naturally so significant strengthening, particularly in depth is required if we are too make such a contest of it next year.

I really hope FSG and Klopp recognise this.

On 14/05/2019 at 06:20, RandoEFC said:

It is impressive but let's see him go to a sleeping giant type club next. Take a Napoli, Liverpool, Milan, Dortmund type club to the top of their league.

It's not necessarily the same skill set to achieve success in that scenario. It's more difficult and with greater risk of reputation damage if you don't pull it off

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

They got knocked out by a cruel twist of fate with VAR.Wouldn't say that was poor IMO, just bad luck.

Last year if they had VAR, they could arguably have beaten Liverpool.

Ultimately they need to crack that competition to complete the set but they aren't necessarily poor in the competition.

They beat Spurs easily in the league. They are miles better and should not be susceptible to a close decision to win a tie against Spurs.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

They beat Spurs easily in the league. They are miles better and should not be susceptible to a close decision to win a tie against Spurs.

Beat Spurs 1-0 in the league at home and away.

I guess we have different interpretations of easy because to me, that's quite close.

Archived