talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australian Politics

football forum

7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Unfortunately you're right. The uneducated peasants who vote based on what the PM will look like decided Shortens head was too big. The Liberal candidate will always get centre stage because of their media monopoly.

Our prime minister is now a man who shat himself at McDonalds, leading a party who only want to benefit the ultra rich financially, and who only appease the ultra conservative socially and environmentally. The stupid and poor who voted ScoMo in will get dumber and poorer and they've none but themselves to blame.

Fuck queensland. 

It's not quite that bad, but I can't deny I'm pretty gutted for the primary reason being what it means for our response to climate change, Being essentially a 3 year setback at a time we really can't afford. From what I've seen of the liberals their policy is limited to creating the appearance of doing something to reduce emissions whilst spending actual fuck all and creating no major incentives for industry to embrace more sustainable solutions. The exception being their initiation of snowy hydro 2.0 which will definitely have a good impact on emissions and should allow for the closure of at least one two train coal station.

What's sad about this is we're among the very highest emissions per capita in the world. And our economy is in a fairly strong position to absorb a genuine response that could see us taking a leading position.

I wouldn't blame the people of Queensland for the loss, I think really Labor completely fucked up strategically and Queensland is the area they got it most wrong.

In order of significance below are my hypothesis of where they fucked up.

1. Bill Shorten being given a 6 year stint as leader despite being shockingly unpopular. By far this hurt the most. Like Hillary Clinton people were just asked to go along with it because it was his turn. They ignored his unpopularity and it bit them. It also drove them to make the election less about the leader and more about policy which leads into reason #4.

2. Adani mine. Labor sat on the fence about the approval of the mine and never gave a clear defensible position. The people of Queensland saw this as Labor picking City snobs and climate change over their jobs and economic prosperity in a spineless and cowardly way and punished them dearly.

Personally I would approve the mine and I think Labor should have too. It's somewhat inconsistent with climate change but it's also a real world fact that progress is progress and that coal will be used by other economies in the transition away from coal. It would be stupid for us to refuse to deliver this when our coal is higher purity and ultimately someone else will supply that coal. I can defend that and I think Labor should have too. There needs to be a sophisticated argument on climate change that is Inclusive and not just one that turns all our resource related sectors of the economy into the bad guy... Those bad guys are bankrolling our entire economy, giving us a trade surplus with our biggest trade partners and enabling us to afford half the shit we want to do. 

3. Making the election a referendum on wages rather than a referendum on climate change.... Case in point. Warringah. Zali steggal did exactly that against Tony Abbott and beat him very very easily. In every other electorate climate change was just one issue, and was attached to a party with a very uncharismatic leader, making it more unpalatable to get on board.

4. Policy fatigue. Particularly in the election campaign, but also overall, Labor had such huge volume of policies circulating and on the campaign were announcing a new one every day. At the same time as bill was announcing more policies to give more money to more groups the libs were ranting about how fiscally irresponsible bill was... It played right into their hands.

5. Class warfare. This was overdone in the policies and in the campaign. It move like apparent position more and more to the left.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Azeem said:

Who won ?

The conservatives.

Pretty significant polling error on the day, particularly in one state where the challenging party, Labor dropped about 5 seats they didn't anticipate.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

It's not quite that bad, but I can't deny I'm pretty gutted for the primary reason being what it means for our response to climate change, Being essentially a 3 year setback at a time we really can't afford. From what I've seen of the liberals their policy is limited to creating the appearance of doing something to reduce emissions whilst spending actual fuck all and creating no major incentives for industry to embrace more sustainable solutions. The exception being their initiation of snowy hydro 2.0 which will definitely have a good impact on emissions and should allow for the closure of at least one two train coal station.

What's sad about this is we're among the very highest emissions per capita in the world. And our economy is in a fairly strong position to absorb a genuine response that could see us taking a leading position.

I wouldn't blame the people of Queensland for the loss, I think really Labor completely fucked up strategically and Queensland is the area they got it most wrong.

In order of significance below are my hypothesis of where they fucked up.

1. Bill Shorten being given a 6 year stint as leader despite being shockingly unpopular. By far this hurt the most. Like Hillary Clinton people were just asked to go along with it because it was his turn. They ignored his unpopularity and it bit them. It also drove them to make the election less about the leader and more about policy which leads into reason #4.

2. Adani mine. Labor sat on the fence about the approval of the mine and never gave a clear defensible position. The people of Queensland saw this as Labor picking City snobs and climate change over their jobs and economic prosperity in a spineless and cowardly way and punished them dearly.

Personally I would approve the mine and I think Labor should have too. It's somewhat inconsistent with climate change but it's also a real world fact that progress is progress and that coal will be used by other economies in the transition away from coal. It would be stupid for us to refuse to deliver this when our coal is higher purity and ultimately someone else will supply that coal. I can defend that and I think Labor should have too. There needs to be a sophisticated argument on climate change that is Inclusive and not just one that turns all our resource related sectors of the economy into the bad guy... Those bad guys are bankrolling our entire economy, giving us a trade surplus with our biggest trade partners and enabling us to afford half the shit we want to do. 

3. Making the election a referendum on wages rather than a referendum on climate change.... Case in point. Warringah. Zali steggal did exactly that against Tony Abbott and beat him very very easily. In every other electorate climate change was just one issue, and was attached to a party with a very uncharismatic leader, making it more unpalatable to get on board.

4. Policy fatigue. Particularly in the election campaign, but also overall, Labor had such huge volume of policies circulating and on the campaign were announcing a new one every day. At the same time as bill was announcing more policies to give more money to more groups the libs were ranting about how fiscally irresponsible bill was... It played right into their hands.

5. Class warfare. This was overdone in the policies and in the campaign. It move like apparent position more and more to the left.

1. You're absolutely right. But it shouldn't matter. The PM is just a face. Policy is what's important. But as I said because Shorten has a big head and is bland we get 4 more years in hell. 

2. Do you know which other developed countries are building coal mines? None. It's trash energy and trash for the environment. I of course fucking tootless peasant queenslanders would put a few hundred jobs over the climate which impacts their tourism industry and the crazy weather cycles they have gotten in the last 10 years. I hope they all drown in the rising ocean or fucking burn in the 50 degree sun the mutts. 

3. Maybe. 

4. Policy is the single most important feature of a political campaign. The libs promised very little. labour promised sweeping positive changes economically (not hard) and in renewables and climate change. Only a fuckwit would respond "Man those guys are trying to do too much" And labour are proven far better economic managers than the libs. By miles. The graph that charts this looks fucking mental. But the uneducated wouldn't know.

5. It's the working class who'll suffer. 

24 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

1. You're absolutely right. But it shouldn't matter. The PM is just a face. Policy is what's important. But as I said because Shorten has a big head and is bland we get 4 more years in hell. 

2. Do you know which other developed countries are building coal mines? None. It's trash energy and trash for the environment. I of course fucking tootless peasant queenslanders would put a few hundred jobs over the climate which impacts their tourism industry and the crazy weather cycles they have gotten in the last 10 years. I hope they all drown in the rising ocean or fucking burn in the 50 degree sun the mutts. 

3. Maybe. 

4. Policy is the single most important feature of a political campaign. The libs promised very little. labour promised sweeping positive changes economically (not hard) and in renewables and climate change. Only a fuckwit would respond "Man those guys are trying to do too much" And labour are proven far better economic managers than the libs. By miles. The graph that charts this looks fucking mental. But the uneducated wouldn't know.

5. It's the working class who'll suffer. 

1. In terms of the impact your mostly right. Though there is an intangible benefit to the psyche from having a leader you like and respect. But at the end of the day we have a huge swinging voter population here, and politics is as much a game of perceptions as of realities. Whilst many undoubtedly stayed true to labors policy credentials it seems to have lost one or two of every hundred people and that was enough to turn the game.

2. We have plenty high quality coal resources which are very easily accessed. Not many first world countries can offer that. America are going gangbusters in shale oil though which is a shocking practice... you'll find many Queenslanders in those parts will be climate change sceptics. Coal is their livelihood, and like a doctor that performs abortions they'd rather not see themselves as murdering unborn babies. They react negatively to sanctimonious articles and online preachiness that paint them and their whole community as the devil.

4. It is important but most people aren't fully across all the specifics, and it all came together to make a difficult, confusing narrative. You have to do both. Put out policies, and have a simple message. 

7 hours ago, Azeem said:

You guys just blame Queensland like Americans blame Russia right ?

No. What happened was we have a similar election system to the us, where instead of a popular vote it's broken down into sections. Queensland, who are a bunch of inbred Soggy Baguettes who bend bananas and dig mines for a living voted against the trend that NSW and Vic set. Overwhelmingly favouring the liberal party.

The best part is it doesn't benefit them one bit.

12 hours ago, Azeem said:

You guys just blame Queensland like Americans blame Russia right ?

No more like how the blue states in America blame the Alabama's Dakota's and the Oklahoma's

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Liberals already breaking promises. 

To be fair this could be a key theme. I honestly think they were going into the election just trying to preserve a solid footing in the house from which they could come back at the next election... The pork barreling promises in and around my electorate were shameless and next level and should be hard to fulfill.

4Bn for the East west link just to retain Deakin and Chisholm for example. 

44 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

What they done?

“The Prime Minister told low and middle-income earners they would have just over $1000 extra in their 2018-19 tax returns if the Coalition was re-elected to Government.

But he now faces the prospect of having to let down those 10 million taxpayers.” News.com.au

he should’ve known getting parliament together to try do this before June 30 wouldn’t be possible but still said these things?! 

For the record in the Senate I didn’t have either of the major parties in my 6. And liberals didn’t factor into my 11 that I decided to number on that bastard long white piece of paper. 

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

For the record in the Senate I didn’t have either of the major parties in my 6. And liberals didn’t factor into my 11 that I decided to number on that bastard long white piece of paper. 

Doesn't matter. Your preferences would have deferred to one or the other of them. 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Doesn't matter. Your preferences would have deferred to one or the other of them. 

If we all did what I did... we would have at least more independents or smaller parties represented I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

So the few thousand jobs at some shithole indian mine that's going to destroy the surrounding environment that caused Queensland to vote liberal is actually going to be a maximally atomised process. Driver less trucks and the whole shebang.  Dumb toothless QLD cunts getting what they deserve. 

Meanwhile after 12 years of a government who greedily shovels all the nations wealth into the pockets of the top 5%, who've flat lined workers wages while interest rates have risen NAB (national bank of Australia) has officially announced the retail recession.

No shit. 

• 2 years later...

Man I wish @Harry were here. 

The libs were re elected. The deadcat issue they raised all of last election was over jobs at a coal mone in QLD. The mine was automated. 
In their recent term, the prime minister distanced himself from every catastrophe, was never held accountable at all. Then he created a natural disaster fund for disaster prevention and relief. None of it has been spent, it just sits accumulating interest while the north of the nation flooded out massively this year. He even pork barreled disaster relief! Fuck me dead.

He holidayed during the bushfires because he 'doesn't hold a hose' 0/10 on disasters. 

He bungled the pandemic lockdowns by palming them off to state governments, then fucked up aged care protections (a federal jurisdiction) resulting in most covid deaths being in care homes. PS. The royal commission into aged care found the federal government responsible for enormous lack of funding and neglect of Australias aged care systems and called it an embarrassment. 
Then he tried to monopolize Australian vaccines, as Astra Zenica only, because his mates are shareholders, resulting in a slow vaccine roll out, causing lengthy lockdown delays. Oh, and then they NSW liberal government pork barreled vaccines from labor seats into Lib seats. Fuck me dead.
Then he under ordered RATs, just like he under ordered vaccines.
Paid out huge cash bonuses to businesses who's bottom lines weren't even affected. Harvey Norman were making record proffits, but sure bro, here's a few billion, on the house mate.   0/10 on Covid. 

In defense, we gave the French 5 billion for literally nothing, cancelling a submarine deal, lying to them about it, pissed them off so hard their ambassadors left, and instead gave billions to the US for subs that might be here in 30 years. Also, the Solomon Islands are letting China build bases there because we cut their foreign aid every year. 0/10 on defense. 

Inflation is rising hard, wages have been stagnant for 10 years (damn, I wonder if that corresponds to a 10 year Liberal government?) Unemployment is at 4%! An awesome statistic, bar the fact it counts volunteers and people working 1hr per week as 'employed'
Plus the usual privatization of whatever they can, strip money from schools and hospitals ect ect. 
If you vote liberal you'll get $450 in the mail come tax time, but they're also stripping LAMITO (Low and middle income tax offset) which means people earning between 30k and 120k will pay THOUSANDS more in tax per year. Minimum 1k more tax for those on 30k. 
0/10 on finance. 

Oh, and we've dropped down the corruption index faster than Venezuela, and the federal ICAC promised last election was never tabled. The PM says they tabled it, but there is literally video of Labor asking them to, and Dutton refusing. I don't understand how he can lie so much and never get called out on it in public. 

But vote libs everyone, because the opposition leader forgot what the overnight cash rate was. 

Did I forget anything @Spike @Toinho

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The libs were re elected. The deadcat issue they raised all of last election was over jobs at a coal mone in QLD. The mine was automated. 
In their recent term, the prime minister distanced himself from every catastrophe, was never held accountable at all. Then he created a natural disaster fund for disaster prevention and relief. None of it has been spent, it just sits accumulating interest while the north of the nation flooded out massively this year. He even pork barreled disaster relief! Fuck me dead.

He holidayed during the bushfires because he 'doesn't hold a hose' 0/10 on disasters. 

He bungled the pandemic lockdowns by palming them off to state governments, then fucked up aged care protections (a federal jurisdiction) resulting in most covid deaths being in care homes. PS. The royal commission into aged care found the federal government responsible for enormous lack of funding and neglect of Australias aged care systems and called it an embarrassment. 
Then he tried to monopolize Australian vaccines, as Astra Zenica only, because his mates are shareholders, resulting in a slow vaccine roll out, causing lengthy lockdown delays. Oh, and then they NSW liberal government pork barreled vaccines from labor seats into Lib seats. Fuck me dead.
Paid out huge cash bonuses to businesses who's bottom lines weren't even affected. Harvey Norman were making record proffits, but sure bro, here's a few billion, on the house mate.   0/10 on Covid. 

In defense, we gave the French 5 billion for literally nothing, cancelling a submarine deal, lying to them about it, pissed them off so hard their ambassadors left, and instead gave billions to the US for subs that might be here in 30 years. Also, the Solomon Islands are letting China build bases there because we cut their foreign aid every year. 0/10 on defense. 

Inflation is rising hard, wages have been stagnant for 10 years (damn, I wonder if that corresponds to a 10 year Liberal government?) Unemployment is at 4%! An awesome statistic, bar the fact it counts volunteers and people working 1hr per week as 'employed'
Plus the usual privatization of whatever they can, strip money from schools and hospitals ect ect. 
If you vote liberal you'll get $450 in the mail come tax time, but they're also stripping LAMITO (Low and middle income tax offset) which means people earning between 30k and 120k will pay THOUSANDS more in tax per year. Minimum 1k more tax for those on 30k. 
0/10 on finance. 

Oh, and we've dropped down the corruption index faster than Venezuela, and the federal ICAC promised last election was never tabled. The PM says they tabled it, but there is literally video of Labor asking them to, and Dutton refusing. I don't understand how he can lie so much and never get called out on it in public. 

But vote libs everyone, because the opposition leader forgot what the overnight cash rate was. 

That's just so depressing, reading through that. Do you think they'll be re-elected? 

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

0/10 on finance. 

And that’s just federal blunders. Need another post just for local corruption in Sydney and another fir NSW.

Perotet told the residents of Lismore to get off the footpath so he his shoes wouldn’t muddy up. 

Archived