talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Australian Politics

football forum

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

There's only a few things you should familiarize yourself with. Because these are the things that you should use to help vote, or affect you directly. 

GDP
Inflation
Trade agreements and trade intensity
How the strength of your currency affects your spending power, and how it affects exports.
Unemployment stats
Taxes and subsidies for negative/positive externalities. 
Fiscal vs monetary policy
Interest rates and their role in combating inflation.
And maybe a little about price elasticity of demand. 

Here's a real world example

Our shitbag prime minister is blocking a $1 rise in minimum wage, and a wage rise for the public service which is an idea offered by the opposition to help create a wage rise throughout the whole economy. (this is an example of a fiscal policy)
The Prime Minister says 'the only way to make wages rise is to reduce unemployment, and we have unemployment at record lows, so you can trust us to drop it further'

First of all, while unemployment levels do contribute to wage growth, this is happening less and less as corporations get greedier and greedier, and look for new ways around rising wages to attract employees (look at the US, where lots of people are happily unemployed and companies are offering signing bonuses, and 6 month/1 year bonuses but not raising wages) 

2ndly His unemployment stats are more doctored than Frankensteins monster. 

And finally, if that were the case, wouldn't wages have risen already given we have record low unemployment? Damn. Makes ya think right? 

Someone with no idea about economics will happily parrot the PM. Someone who's even covered it at a high school level knows better. 

It is truly a bizarre conundrum. People’s purchasing power is down, so a lot less goods and frivolous purchases are being made, and that is bad for the consumer economy. So they increase tax on booze and alcohol ‘TO DISCOIRAGE PEOPLE FROM DRINKING AND SMOKING’ but that is a lie because Australians are champions and drink and smoke like champions are supposed, and the lawmakers know it is a bottomless pit of tax revenue, and it it better to tax Damo the concreter more for his sugarcane champagne than it is to tax billion dollar mining companies. Now this is fine if you have money, but this a povertyvice  tax, because Johno with three kids to four women needs two cartons a week and he isn’t buying his fucking kids school supplies because he needs he slabs and durries.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Toinho said:

I'm nervous for the weekend.

If I have energy after physio tonight, I'll pop into an early voting booth though, as actual election day will be hard to navigate this year.

Haven't you got postal votes out there? they are a lot handier than dragging yourself out of your home if it's pissing down with rain or a heatwave. 

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Haven't you got postal votes out there? they are a lot handier than dragging yourself out of your home if it's pissing down with rain or a heatwave. 

Yeah I’ve done that in the past, however life was too hectic to organise that this year. 

Voted anyway. Pretty empty. The local labor candidate was there. Almost wanted to tell her she would definitely be higher up than Wyatt. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Yeah I’ve done that in the past, however life was too hectic to organise that this year. 

Voted anyway. Pretty empty. The local labor candidate was there. Almost wanted to tell her she would definitely be higher up than Wyatt. 

I fucked up the wife's postal vote this year, we both filled the forms out with the ticks or crosses, I put mine into my return envelope and sealed it up, the wife asked me to envelope and seal hers up which I did but I put her form in back to front and sealed it up.

There was no point in opening it up and trying to re-seal it as it would have been classed as void when returning it, so I just binned it, we were not worried about that anyway and she was not fussed either as we both think that political parties and leaders are a load of bollocks nowadays anyway.

38 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I fucked up the wife's postal vote this year, we both filled the forms out with the ticks or crosses, I put mine into my return envelope and sealed it up, the wife asked me to envelope and seal hers up which I did but I put her form in back to front and sealed it up.

There was no point in opening it up and trying to re-seal it as it would have been classed as void when returning it, so I just binned it, we were not worried about that anyway and she was not fussed either as we both think that political parties and leaders are a load of bollocks nowadays anyway.

You won’t get fined, will you?

4 hours ago, Toinho said:

I'm nervous for the weekend.

If I have energy after physio tonight, I'll pop into an early voting booth though, as actual election day will be hard to navigate this year.

I just don't want another fucking night of watching an initially pessimistic liberal party tv panel member becoming increasingly delighted as the count rolls in

On 15/05/2022 at 02:53, Devil-Dick Willie said:

As an economics student, let me fucking tell you 1 thing @Harry. Financially, covid really wasnt that big a deal. There was a sharp, short economic decline in most countries, and then a huge rebound and markets continued on to new highs. 

Labor avoided recession in 2008, spending a 3rd of what the libs did, to NOT avoid a recession, in a much less turbulent financial time. 
in 2008 entire economies tanked, huge banks and firms went bust, lehman brothers, bear sterns, greece, spain, ireland, all bit the fucking bullet. Compare that to covid where most markets were unaffected, some improved, and most that were hit had a massive rebound. 

I think it is more complicated than that and have lived through both.

During the Banking Crisis Banks tightened up on lending rules and so many SMEs went under as revolving credit facilities were ended. The markets reacted as the whole system was under threat until the US agreed the bail-out.

COV-ID was different yet arguably as damaging and maybe still not out of it.

Many SMEs went under as did self employed as they were not allowed to operate. Some retailers also went out of business due to low footfall.

The knock effects are still happening like Boris Johnson trying to get Civil back into office, I think despite vaccs they are still worried about the virus. If workers do not comeback to London the arts will not get enough footfall.

Shanghai is back in lockdown with the shipping held up there too.

During COV_ID

9 hours ago, Waylander said:

I think it is more complicated than that and have lived through both.

During the Banking Crisis Banks tightened up on lending rules and so many SMEs went under as revolving credit facilities were ended. The markets reacted as the whole system was under threat until the US agreed the bail-out.

COV-ID was different yet arguably as damaging and maybe still not out of it.

Many SMEs went under as did self employed as they were not allowed to operate. Some retailers also went out of business due to low footfall.

The knock effects are still happening like Boris Johnson trying to get Civil back into office, I think despite vaccs they are still worried about the virus. If workers do not comeback to London the arts will not get enough footfall.

Shanghai is back in lockdown with the shipping held up there too.

During COV_ID

Why do you separate COVID after the COV part? Cos the CO in COVID means coronavirus. The VI stands for virus, and the D stands for disease.

• Subscriber

I know I already said it once but I could read most of this thread, replace any sentences containing Liberal/Libs with Tories and I'm basically reading about the past decade of underlying UK politics minus the B word. It's actually uncanny.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I know I already said it once but I could read most of this thread, replace any sentences containing Liberal/Libs with Tories and I'm basically reading about the past decade of underlying UK politics minus the B word. It's actually uncanny.

is it? We have shared cultural heritage

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Makes sense I suppose. A murdoch backed party who have so little care for the welfare of the nation it's borderline treasonous when you think about it vs another moderate party who are made out to be communists for reasons such as "they're gonna spend 1 billion less on defense than us, or, he rides a red bicycle, or, they're gonna spend money on health and education how dare they"

The more I think about it the more stupid and evil the libs 'solution' to the housing crisis is. 

For those who don't know, the cost of a house (and renting) are both going big mode. A mediocre house cost 300-400k 20 years ago. 500-600 10 years ago. A million now. Wages have been stagnant for 10 years.

So the liberals have come out at the 11th hour of the election and said "bro, just use your super, we will legislate for it"

Wow. Just fucking wow. 

First of all, this is attacking the demand side of the issue. Which leads to even more inflation! Same number of houses in the market + more buyers = another decade of wild price increases and yet another spoke turning over in this viscous fucking cycle. 
Secondly, it's another attack from the liberals on super. Horrid cunts want us all to be on welfare in our old age? Move into low rent care homes early? 
Just fucking god awful.  

3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The more I think about it the more stupid and evil the libs 'solution' to the housing crisis is. 

For those who don't know, the cost of a house (and renting) are both going big mode. A mediocre house cost 300-400k 20 years ago. 500-600 10 years ago. A million now. Wages have been stagnant for 10 years.

So the liberals have come out at the 11th hour of the election and said "bro, just use your super, we will legislate for it"

Wow. Just fucking wow. 

First of all, this is attacking the demand side of the issue. Which leads to even more inflation! Same number of houses in the market + more buyers = another decade of wild price increases and yet another spoke turning over in this viscous fucking cycle. 
Secondly, it's another attack from the liberals on super. Horrid cunts want us all to be on welfare in our old age? Move into low rent care homes early? 
Just fucking god awful.  

That is actually evil. I think I mentioned it but they tricked one of my mates into thinking it was okay to dip into his super over the pandemic. THAT IS RETIREMENT MONEY, for fucks sake,  it isn’t disaster relief, it up to the government to protect it’s citizens from events like this, not manipulate them into dipping  into their super so they can pay out less interest over time. 

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

That is actually evil. I think I mentioned it but they tricked one of my mates into thinking it was okay to dip into his super over the pandemic. THAT IS RETIREMENT MONEY, for fucks sake,  it isn’t disaster relief, it up to the government to protect it’s citizens from events like this, not manipulate them into dipping  into their super so they can pay out less interest over time. 

Their solution to poverty is to encourage people to dip more into their own money. Every time. They'll subsidize their mining mates to the moon.  

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Someone I know, got 'forced' into using their super to make renovations to a house their parents-in law actually own. Absolute disgusting. These people have multiple houses (own a fucking huge farm - which the said person's husband (their son) runs full time), yet made her pay for part of the renovations. As it's family related I really can't say much but I can guarantee those in-laws are liberal scum.

Anyway, god I hate the liberals.

3 hours ago, Waylander said:

Over here you cannot use any of your pension money until you hit 55. 

Rightfully so, because it's meant to mature and accrue interest so you end with more money than when it opened. It isn't a savings account.

Pretty anxious about this election result today. Worried about unexpected seat losses in Labor Heartland due to UAP winning antivax votes from Labor union types and preferences liberal, offsetting gains elsewhere.

Archived