talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga 2018/19 - Week 38 Fixtures - 18th-19th May 2019

football forum

Final La Liga Fixtures 2018/2019

The times were changed on various games due to the extreme heat being suffered on the Iberian Peninsula this week and times where 25°c or less have been selected.

image.jpeg

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Would usually say it's a ahame that game times have been changed but I've just noticed that in the games that have something riding on them, they're all at the same time so there's some sensible logic there. And suppose there's still a bit of drama for fans to anticipate.

Sevilla/Valencia/Getafe/Bilbao/Sociedad all playing at same time in race for 4th and Europa League and Celta/Girona same time to avoid relegation although it looks like Girona will go down anyway.

Would complete the proverbial fairytale if Getafe were to pip Valencia to 4th but can't see Valencia losing at Alaves.

Getafe are beating Villarreal at home, although Valencia have scored just through Carlos Soler away to Valladolid meaning that the Valencian club, as it stands, will be playing Champions league football next season, although 1 goal could still change everything.

@SirBalon Who do you think will finish in that elusive 7th place then? :coffee: As it stands, Athletic will be grabbing that last Europa spot, although if they lose against Sevilla today and someone wins in the Real Sociedad vs Espanyol game, then it'll be they(Espanyol or la Real) who will grab that last place in Europe.

As I write this, Villarreal have equalised against Getafe to make it 1-1.

Valencia now 2-0 up away to Valladolid, while Getafe are still drawing so it looks like Valencia will end up going on to secure 4th now. Which is a big turnaround when you consider how awfully they were for half of the season. I was expecting bottom half from them after that first half of a season showing.

Athletic losing to Sevilla now means they have dropped into 8th, with Espanyol, who are now 1-0 up against Real Sociedad, currently occupying 7th spot. If it stays like this, Espanyol will be in the Europa next season. I wouldn't be surprised if Real Sociedad still had a say in this though. It's not over yet.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Weird how all the games last week were at the same time but not the last weekend.

On 13/05/2019 at 12:24, SirBalon said:

The times were changed on various games due to the extreme heat being suffered on the Iberian Peninsula this week and times where 25°c or less have been selected.

8 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Getafe are beating Villarreal at home, although Valencia have scored just through Carlos Soler away to Valladolid meaning that the Valencian club, as it stands, will be playing Champions league football next season, although 1 goal could still change everything.

@SirBalon Who do you think will finish in that elusive 7th place then? :coffee: As it stands, Athletic will be grabbing that last Europa spot, although if they lose against Sevilla today and someone wins in the Real Sociedad vs Espanyol game, then it'll be they(Espanyol or la Real) who will grab that last place in Europe.

As I write this, Villarreal have equalised against Getafe to make it 1-1.

I'm sorry I couldn't answer this as it was occuring as that's the funnest way of making these threads be active. But due to commitments I couldn't post during the games.

I feel sorry for Getafe even though (as I've said in the past) I profoundly dislike their president as he's a bit of a loud mouth and quite unethical in the manner he goes about making a point. But still, they're a very small club even though they've been in and around Spain's top division for a number of years now. Just like when Villarreal first burst into La Liga and slowly under a very good eternal presidency (well he is the owner) they achieved great goals considering how diminutive they are... Even a Champions League semi-final and they can blame Juan Román Riquelme for not playing Barça in the 2004 final. Although anyone can miss a penalty in the final minute. It would've been a massice boost for Getafe to have been in club football's biggest party piece next season. But Valencia is Valencia, with a massive history and Getafe failed to get the right results in these final weeks of the season. Los Che sensed blood and they were like hounds althohgh Valencia's season in reality has been mediocre and in all honesty, absolute garbage due to not having any essence or consistency.

I'm happy for Espanyol even if Gerard Piqué won't manage to muster a caring smile... They're a really great club and it's great to see them back in Europe next season.

10 hours ago, SirBalon said:

I'm sorry I couldn't answer this as it was occuring as that's the funnest way of making these threads be active. But due to commitments I couldn't post during the games.

I feel sorry for Getafe even though (as I've said in the past) I profoundly dislike their president as he's a bit of a loud mouth and quite unethical in the manner he goes about making a point. But still, they're a very small club even though they've been in and around Spain's top division for a number of years now. Just like when Villarreal first burst into La Liga and slowly under a very good eternal presidency (well he is the owner) they achieved great goals considering how diminutive they are... Even a Champions League semi-final and they can blame Juan Román Riquelme for not playing Barça in the 2004 final. Although anyone can miss a penalty in the final minute. It would've been a massice boost for Getafe to have been in club football's biggest party piece next season. But Valencia is Valencia, with a massive history and Getafe failed to get the right results in these final weeks of the season. Los Che sensed blood and they were like hounds althohgh Valencia's season in reality has been mediocre and in all honesty, absolute garbage due to not having any essence or consistency.

I'm happy for Espanyol even if Gerard Piqué won't manage to muster a caring smile... They're a really great club and it's great to see them back in Europe next season.

I'd rather have seen Real Betis in it again or Real Sociedad. They are more made for the competition and I believe they would do well in it if they could consistently qualify for it.

Celta Vigo were VERY lucky this year and would certainly be down if they didn't have Iago Aspas. I'm glad they stayed up though as La Liga would have missed them. It won't miss Girona or Huesca if we are honest.

I hope to see Mallorca back for next season.

29 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I'd rather have seen Real Betis in it again or Real Sociedad. They are more made for the competition and I believe they would do well in it if they could consistently qualify for it.

Celta Vigo were VERY lucky this year and would certainly be down if they didn't have Iago Aspas. I'm glad they stayed up though as La Liga would have missed them. It won't miss Girona or Huesca if we are honest.

I hope to see Mallorca back for next season.

I have personal sentimental bias when talking about Celta and my preferences as you onow mate, but they were indeed very lucky. He came back early (off his own back risking the remainder of his career) from semi-serious injury to try and help the team survive... It paid off! Without him they would've been doomed to La Liga 1|2|3 without a doubt.

Girona's fairytale has come to an end and if they lose all those loaned players (that's the issue with basing reality on something that doesn't contain something tangible) they will find it extremely difficult to return as there are various big clubs in that division looking to return.

Real Mallorca, Real Zaragoza, Real Oviedo, Sporting Gijón or Deportivo La Coruña all belong in La Liga as it would make it alot more exciting for me mate.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I have personal sentimental bias when talking about Celta and my preferences as you onow mate, but they were indeed very lucky. He came back early (off his own back risking the remainder of his career) from semi-serious injury to try and help the team survive... It paid off! Without him they would've been doomed to La Liga 1|2|3 without a doubt.

Girona's fairytale has come to an end and if they lose all those loaned players (that's the issue with basing reality on something that doesn't contain something tangible) they will find it extremely difficult to return as there are various big clubs in that division looking to return.

Real Mallorca, Real Zaragoza, Real Oviedo, Sporting Gijón or Deportivo La Coruña all belong in La Liga as it would make it alot more exciting for me mate.

I agree with all of those teams. I hate Real Zaragoza but they bring something to the league, they are a big club in Spain.

Maybe the next surprise team we could see in the top flight in the coming years is Extremadura UD, who yesterday assured their survival in the segunda division yesterday.

Real Madrid are currently losing at home to Real Betis 0-2 and if it stays like this, they will finish on just 68 points for this season. Crazy.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

I don't know how a team with so much talent struggled so much...they should be nowhere near relegation. Aspas, Gomez, Brais Mendez, Lobotka, Mallo...

16 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Would love to see Lobotka go somewhere challenging for CL spots and having good campaigns in the Europa League. 

Lovely player. 

As crazy as it may sound considering what's occurred this season, Celta with the correct guidance can easily challenge for Champions League spots... Everything about Celta is far bigger than Getafe for example, just to put some perspective in this.

3 hours ago, ...Dan said:

I don't know how a team with so much talent struggled so much...they should be nowhere near relegation. Aspas, Gomez, Brais Mendez, Lobotka, Mallo...

It's been an interesting season as Villarreal were close to relegation themselves and Valencia(believe it or not now) and Athletic looked like they could have been sucked into a relegation fight mid-way through the season. It's been a difficult season, but also one where no team(other than Barcelona and to an extent Atletico) have been able to gather a consistent run of form. Sevilla were in a battle for the league title for half of the season and in the end, they finished 6th place and only just grabbed a Europa spot.

I also expected better from Real Betis and Real Sociedad, who I'd have had both down as finishing in Europa spots this season.

To be honest, "on paper" there is a lot of competition for those European spots at the moment with Valencia, Sevilla, Villarreal, Real Betis, Real Sociedad, Athletic Bilbao, Celta and an improving Espanyol. The problem is, none have been as consistent as they can this season, some have been dreadful for their standards, specifically Villarreal and Celta.

3 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

It's been an interesting season as Villarreal were close to relegation themselves and Valencia(believe it or not now) and Athletic looked like they could have been sucked into a relegation fight mid-way through the season. It's been a difficult season, but also one where no team(other than Barcelona and to an extent Atletico) have been able to gather a consistent run of form. Sevilla were in a battle for the league title for half of the season and in the end, they finished 6th place and only just grabbed a Europa spot.

I also expected better from Real Betis and Real Sociedad, who I'd have had both down as finishing in Europa spots this season.

To be honest, "on paper" there is a lot of competition for those European spots at the moment with Valencia, Sevilla, Villarreal, Real Betis, Real Sociedad, Athletic Bilbao, Celta and an improving Espanyol. The problem is, none have been as consistent as they can this season, some have been dreadful for their standards, specifically Villarreal and Celta.

Agree with that completely!

But I want to add a personal point of view on Atlético Madrid who even though they once again end up being the kings of Madrid by finishing above their nemesis Real as runners-up in La Liga, they've actually had a crap season in my opinion.

Atleti's squad on paper is extraordinary and before the season started the Spanish football pundits were adamant that their squad was the best in Spain and Simeone's greatest opportunity to show what he can do with a great side... They added that 'El Cholo' no longer had a right to use his typical excuse of overachieving with lesser resources in terms of players. Against Juve in the Champions League they had it all done at home and then done a Barça. In La Liga they had way too many off moments and their defeat to Real Madrid was pathetic with even the Real Madrid journalists were expecting Real would be or should be spanked by Atleti's superior footballers. Way too inconsistent and even during Atleti's best moments it all felt like there should be more on offer. 

Incredible to say, but they've underachieved.

What do you think mate?

_20190519130325910-0127-kFoF-U4623349712

Didn't watch the Real v Betis game but I've just read that the whole team were whistled off the pitch except for Keylor Navas who was given a standing ovation by the Real faithful.

Navas has been told to search for a new club this summer by Zidane as he is not in his plans for next season... Looks like the Bernabéu were sending a message to everyone.

22 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Agree with that completely!

But I want to add a personal point of view on Atlético Madrid who even though they once again end up being the kings of Madrid by finishing above their nemesis Real as runners-up in La Liga, they've actually had a crap season in my opinion.

Atleti's squad on paper is extraordinary and before the season started the Spanish football pundits were adamant that their squad was the best in Spain and Simeone's greatest opportunity to show what he can do with a great side... They added that 'El Cholo' no longer had a right to use his typical excuse of overachieving with lesser resources in terms of players. Against Juve in the Champions League they had it all done at home and then done a Barça. In La Liga they had way too many off moments and their defeat to Real Madrid was pathetic with even the Real Madrid journalists were expecting Real would be or should be spanked by Atleti's superior footballers. Way too inconsistent and even during Atleti's best moments it all felt like there should be more on offer. 

Incredible to say, but they've underachieved.

What do you think mate?

Yeah, they could have done much more and they have not been able to make the most of great opportunities, both in La Liga and the Champions League. Atletico could well have gone on and won it this season if they had played to the best of their abilitie. I also believe that at the start of the season they had as strong a squad as anyone in Spain and it was probably their best opportunity to go all the way since they last won it, or atleast challenge until the death.

As for the Champions league, they should really have been taking care of Juventus there and had they done that, there was an opportunity to go all the way to the final as Ajax and Spurs would not have enjoyed playing them when at their best.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived