talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Zandvoort! - Dutch GP to Return After 35 Years

• Administrator

It's the type of word that needs an exclamation mark at the end of it.

Dutch GP due to return from 2020 season. Max Verstappen's influence seems to be at the heart of this decision...?

The Dutch Grand Prix is set to return in 2020 after an absence of 35 years.

Confirmation of the return of the historic Zandvoort circuit, which last hosted the race in 1985, is expected on Tuesday.

The race is set to be held on the weekend of 8-10 May, effectively taking the place of the Spanish Grand Prix.

Asked to confirm the deal, F1 boss Chase Carey told BBC Sport: "I don't preview announcements. We'll announce it when we announce it on Tuesday."

F1 bosses are hoping to benefit from the surge in interest in Red Bull driver Max Verstappen, particularly in his home country.

As Verstappen has become one of F1's biggest stars, European races have been attended by huge numbers of Dutch fans, the vast majority wearing orange shirts in the national colours. Zandvoort, which is on the coast close to Amsterdam, is expected to be a sell-out.

Zandvoort will be the second new track to be added to the calendar in 2020, following the announcement of a street race in the Vietnamese capital Hanoi.

If no races are removed, that would mean a record-breaking 23-race calendar at a time when teams are keen to keep the number at the current 21 or even fewer.

However, five races are out of contract at the end of this season - Britain, Germany, Italy, Mexico and Spain - and F1 insiders said at the Spanish Grand Prix last weekend that at least two and possibly three of them are likely to drop off the schedule.

Italy and F1 have announced that they have reached an "agreement in principle" to continue the race at Monza until 2024, having agreed the cost of the new contract but not yet signed it.

Silverstone is said to be close to securing a new deal, but Germany, Mexico and Spain are vulnerable, and all three could potentially go.

Carey said: "We have a number - five tracks - we have to renew for next year. A few of them we already have agreements in principle. We are having constructive discussions elsewhere. We do have new races coming on the calendar as well.

"There will be a little bit of change and in some degree that's good for the sport, some fresh, exciting, new races."

Doubt has also been cast on the claims last week by Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro that a new track in Rio de Janeiro would replace Sao Paulo's Interlagos in 2020.

Interlagos has a contract for 2020 and sources said F1 could not simply ignore it. There have also been questions about the viability of a race in Rio, where the planned track in the Deodoro district does not yet exist.

F1 is trying to establish a second race in the United States to add to the US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas.

They are looking for a dramatic location in an iconic major city. But attempts to hold a street race in Miami that includes the cars crossing a bridge over the sea have foundered because of local opposition.

F1 is now working on a second proposal in a less aesthetically dramatic location near the Miami Dolphins NFL stadium but this will not happen for 2020.

F1 is also in talks in Las Vegas but that is said to be some years away, if it happens at all.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

A lot of work to do to renew the infrastructure and modify the track for the modern F1, but I love it! Just hope they won't ruin the character of the circuit in the process. 

Will be an absolute mad second home race for Max fans! Well deserved as well, given their dedication and effort they put in by following Max throughout the races in large numbers. 

20 hours ago, Stan said:

It's the type of word that needs an exclamation mark at the end of it.

Dutch GP due to return from 2020 season. Max Verstappen's influence seems to be at the heart of this decision...?

Its more to do with the main sponsor of F1 Heineken but having a Dutch driver was the key reason.  

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Jesus Christ, it's so narrow. I can see why there are concerns about the overtaking. 

They will modify the track to suit modern F1 cars... The exit of the Gerlachtbocht and the inside of the Hugenholtzbocht will both be widened; the second part of the Hans Ernst bocht (Audi S) will be shortened and widened to increase speeds and improve the flow; Arie Luyendykbocht will be banked to allow full speeds for DRS. I just hope they don't get rid of the gravel traps.

Circuit_Zandvoort_1.png

zandvoort-map.jpg

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Love the fact there's a corner called Tarzan.

There are at least three explanations for the origin of the name; no one knows which one is true xD 

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I really hope this is a good track with overtaking, last thing F1 needs are anymore tracks like Monaco, Melbourne and Hungary. 

I wouldn't expect much overtaking even after widening of certain areas of the track but the race could be very exciting nevertheless. 

A lot of speed and blind corners due to elevation changes; now they even want to make a few corners that lead to the Scheivlak even faster. It's like the mini Eau Rouge :x

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Apparently Mexico (instead of Catalunya) is set to drop off F1 calendar in 2020 to make place for Zandvoort and Hanoi. 

Now THAT is surprising no? 

With Perez and the backing of Slim, you'd think that'd be a staple.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Now THAT is surprising no? 

With Perez and the backing of Slim, you'd think that'd be a staple.

It lost Mexican government's support who decided to end its funding for the event as they want to invest the money elsewhere.

It's a pity; it used to be a great race with an amazing atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

It lost Mexican government's support who decided to end its funding for the event as they want to invest the money elsewhere.

It's a pity; it used to be a great race with an amazing atmosphere.

That is unfortunate. 

I'm sure it's common for these to be funded by the government, but it's always something that makes more sense to funded privately to me. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

That is unfortunate. 

I'm sure it's common for these to be funded by the government, but it's always something that makes more sense to funded privately to me. 

It costs a lot to host a race; the hosting fee alone is around $30 million... In many countries it's private funds + government subsidies (due to event's positive economic impact) so if the government pulls out of it and if there's not enough private interest, it's going to be tough to finance that.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

It costs a lot to host a race; the hosting fee alone is around $30 million... In many countries it's private funds + government subsidies (due to event's positive economic impact) so if the government pulls out of it and if there's not enough private interest, it's going to be tough to finance that.

Yeah - I just looked at tickets for the Race here in the U.S., and it's not cheap by any means to go to one of these events. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived