• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

League Two 2018/19 Play-offs - Tranmere Promoted

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, Dan said:

I don't get the complaints about this Newport penalty call. Surely the offside comes before the foul?

Seen the replays, and yes.

But it's ever so close.

Hypothetically though, if the Newport player leaves it though, perhaps knowing he's offside, does the ref give the foul? Is the Newport player seen to be interfering with play just because he's there but the ball was going out?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Seen the replays, and yes.

But it's ever so close.

Hypothetically though, if the Newport player leaves it though, perhaps knowing he's offside, does the ref give the foul? Is the Newport player seen to be interfering with play just because he's there but the ball was going out?

It is very marginal, very little in it but ultimately I think the time taken between the offside and the lifting of the flag is irrelevant because he was offside when the pass was made, which came just before the foul.

It is very unlucky, it's similar in a way to the Man City offside v Spurs a few weeks ago when Sterling scored. The finest margin ultimately rules it out.

Interesting hypothetical scenario in fairness. I'm really unsure what would happen there.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dan said:

It is very marginal, very little in it but ultimately I think the time taken between the offside and the lifting of the flag is irrelevant because he was offside when the pass was made, which came just before the foul.

It is very unlucky, it's similar in a way to the Man City offside v Spurs a few weeks ago when Sterling scored. The finest margin ultimately rules it out.

Interesting hypothetical scenario in fairness. I'm really unsure what would happen there.

I don't even think he's passed it as such. Just tried to knock it past the player to get a shot but hit it too far and just unfortunate his teammate is offside.

• The title was changed to League Two 2018/19 Play-offs - Tranmere Promoted

Only saw the second half of extra time and while Newport with their ten men had more of the ball, they literally had zero creativity whatsoever, which is somewhat understandable given that this is their 49th League game of the season and they’ve played easily another ten or so Cup ties, so they’ll be absolutely gone. Credit to Tranmere for their patience against ten men though. 

• Administrator

Yep. Think Kevin Friend was due to do the Chelsea vs Spurs game a few years ago but because he was from Leicestershire, Spurs fans kicked up a fuss that he may be unfair in favour of Chelsea because of links to Leicester city/county. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived