talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What is the worst decision your club has made?

football forum

football forum

As the title suggests. 

As I've been only following Everton for the past 20 years I can't think of many bad decisions that we've made at board level although the one that sticks in my mind is the appointment of Roberto Martinez. He took us from challenging outside of the European places to fighting relegation within three years and I'm convinced if he'd seen us through year four we'd have been relegated. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can probably rattle for a few for Chelsea

• Chris Sutton
  • Fernando Torres
  • Andrey Shevchenko
  • Releasing Frank Lampard
  • 'Electric Fences'
  • Selling Kevin de Bruyne
  • Andre Villas-Boas
  • Firing Jose Mourinho the first time
  • Hiring Jose Mourinho the second time
  • Radamel Falcao
  • Mateja Kezman
  • Adrian Mutu
  • Selling Petr Cech to Arsenal
  • Hiring Robbie di Matteo after winning the CL
  • Letting Drogba leave for no reason just to have him return
  • Buying youth like Lukaku and Matic only to sell them and buy them back at inflated prices (holding my breath for the fucking former to happen)
  • Arjen Robben's contract
  • Shaun Wright-Phillips
  • A decade long reliance on 'stars' as opposed to finding diamonds in the rough

Getting Kenny Dalglish to replace Kevin Keegan instead of Bobby Robson. At the time Bobby had just been "moved upstairs" at Barcelona and wanted to remain loyal to them. History could have been very different if Bobby was given that Keegan side.

23 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Getting Kenny Dalglish to replace Kevin Keegan instead of Bobby Robson. At the time Bobby had just been "moved upstairs" at Barcelona and wanted to remain loyal to them. History could have been very different if Bobby was given that Keegan side.

Bobby Robson is very loved at Barça and done a lot of great work for the club when he moved into the "boardroom".  He was an ambassador for the club and even acted as an intermediate on signings.  One of the most respected figures FC Barcelona have ever had.

But you're right that Newcastle United would've benefited massively with him inheriting Keegan's side, especially what Robson was coming from as a head coach at the time.

• Administrator

The demise our club had after winning the League Cup in 2000 is astonishing. But for one successful season in the Championship finishing 2nd in 02/03, anything after that for the majority of the rest of that decade is a shit-storm. 

Letting O'Neill & Heskey leave the club. Granted I think O'Neill had taken as far as he could and we were offered a lot of money for Heskey, but it started the downfall of our club to be honest. The embarrassing decisions made at board level. Getting Peter Taylor in who seemed to just suck the soul out of the club. Spending silly money on Ade Akinbiyi who turned out to be one of the worst signings ever. The years of 2004-2008 are just a massive blur of mediocrity. I could barely name any side in those years because it was such a lull, a bore of a time at the club. 

There are too many to count at Arsenal but the main one was when Arsenal changed the structure into a "feudal" one.  That occurred the day David Dein was ousted from the board as he was in effect our sporting director and we were headed in the correct direction while the new stadium was being built.  That day there were quite a number of Arsenal fans that looked at each other as they saw him drive off from Highbury...  Never before have I seen people ask for autographs from a board member, not that that's important or that it matters.

What I'm getting at is that it's the same as what's happened in the world in general four years after the economic crisis...  Less than 1% of the world's population have gotten perversely richer while raking in 99% of the wealth created since then. In the meantime the rest have been coaxed into thinking that they're getting something out of it.  But when you look into it a bit deeper and with more detail, it's the total opposite while the hoarders are just holding onto everything.

Where to start.

In recent memory, sacking Chris Hughton, appointing Alan Pardew, appointing John Carver, appointing Steve McClaren, then leaving it far too long before sacking him.

I have a terrible feeling I'll be coming back to this thread in a month or so when Rafa leaves because he hasn't been backed in the transfer window too.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Selling Ozil for 17mil + bonuses instead of creating a bidding war and getting double that

Signing Silvestre and Wesley

Allowing Thomas Schaaf to remain coach after the 2010/11 season

Signing Carlos Alberto was wayyyy worse :P

Silvestre at least came on a free transfer and scored that goal against BVB on the last matchday in 2011. Wesley was an expensive flop and didn't work out, but at least he didn't disrupt team morale. Carlos Alberto was a complete disaster as a player and as a person. 

Pre-Benham we were a club in debt bouncing between League 1 and League 2, so there were a host of bad decisions.

Since Benham took charge I'd say the biggest mistake was appointing Marinus Dijkhuizen, fortunately we recovered well and now have one of the better managers in the league and someone who can take us up. But the Marinus era was just a massive shitstorm for us, a pitch that got destroyed, losing our key players and reshaping the team. If we'd of had Dean Smith then we'd be better for it.

Other than Marinus, the biggest mistake was Warburton not strengthening in the January transfer window. The owner made funds available and it was our best chance to go up but Warburton refused to buy and instead we dropped away from the automatics and got hammered by Middlesborough in the play-offs. What could have been.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Tanksie said:

Lol agreed. Didn't Wesley score a hattrick at Frieburg as well?

I aimed at those 2 as it was transfers like that that put us in the position we found ourselves in during the 2010/11 season of shame and suffering

haha i don't recall him scoring a hattrick, but we got 6 millions back when we sold him to Palmeiras, so it's all good as much as I'm concerned!

No idea where to start.

Maybe not a huge mistake but the one that leaves me always wondering what might have been was if we'd kept Torres after signing Suarez.

As much as we were only one Gerrard slip away from a title even without Nando i really feel that Luis would have clicked with him,  helped him get his groove back and we could have really cemented ourselves back in the champions league with one of the best strike forces in world football. 

But gee. Even only going back to Rafa there were plenty of huge mistakes. The rot started with entertaining selling Xabi Alonso. 

Hicks and Gillet.

Damien Comolli.

Paul Konchesky and his sensai Roy Hodgson.

Kenny Dalglish nostalgia appointment. 

Letting Gerrard finish his career outside of LFC.

These are the last ten years or so

• Trying to change our name to Hull Tigers, twice.
  • Abolishing disabled and children's concession tickets.
  • Signing Jimmy Bullard.
  • Forcing Steve Bruce to resign due to lack of investment.
  • Kicking local sports clubs (trampolining, basketball etc.) out of council owned arena in favour of laying 3G pitches there. (This isn't directly related to the club but it was the Allam's doing)
  • Hiring Iain Dowie to save our season in 2009/10 xD
  • Hiring Mike Phelan (nothing against the bloke he just wasn't god enough) 
  • Neglecting our academy for years. (Although this is being rectified now)

Sacking Rafa. He should have been more time. He did commit a huge mistake by selling Xabi, but he should have been given time to rectify that error.

But the biggest mistake by far has to be hiring Roy Hodgson, who set the club back substantially. What hurts even more is that they chose that fucking owl over Manuel Pellegrini. Having the Argentine and his attacking football at LFC would have been something, compared to the utter shite that we were subjected to for half a season. 

Moores selling to Hicks and Gillett is the obvious one where it all started to go wrong. 

Getting rid of Benitez stemmed from the problems caused by that. Then appointing Hodgson to replace him. Hodgson should have been sacked after FSGs first game where we were terrible in the Merseyside derby. 

22 hours ago, Harry said:

No idea where to start.

Maybe not a huge mistake but the one that leaves me always wondering what might have been was if we'd kept Torres after signing Suarez.

As much as we were only one Gerrard slip away from a title even without Nando i really feel that Luis would have clicked with him,  helped him get his groove back and we could have really cemented ourselves back in the champions league with one of the best strike forces in world football. 

But gee. Even only going back to Rafa there were plenty of huge mistakes. The rot started with entertaining selling Xabi Alonso. 

Hicks and Gillet.

Damien Comolli.

Paul Konchesky and his sensai Roy Hodgson.

Kenny Dalglish nostalgia appointment. 

Letting Gerrard finish his career outside of LFC.

Thinking about Torres and Suarez playing in front of Gerrard gives me the saddest boner.

The biggest mistake we've made since I've been a fan was probably selling the club to Hicks and Gillette, but I can't look past paying £35m (in 2011 money) for Andy fucking Carroll. Then there was the disastrous summer transfer window of 2014 in which we sold Suarez and spent the money on utter shite like Moreno, Lambert, Markovic, Lallana, and Balotelli. It killed any and all progress we'd made that year and meant our only Champions League campaign this decade was a fucking embarrassment. At least Lallana finally came good in his third season with the club.

1 hour ago, Burning Gold said:

Thinking about Torres and Suarez playing in front of Gerrard gives me the saddest boner.

The biggest mistake we've made since I've been a fan was probably selling the club to Hicks and Gillette, but I can't look past paying £35m (in 2011 money) for Andy fucking Carroll. Then there was the disastrous summer transfer window of 2014 in which we sold Suarez and spent the money on utter shite like Moreno, Lambert, Markovic, Lallana, and Balotelli. It killed any and all progress we'd made that year and meant our only Champions League campaign this decade was a fucking embarrassment. At least Lallana finally came good in his third season with the club.

Doubt it would of worked well. Torres with another partner doesn't suit him at his best. Look how poor he was when partnered with Villa on the national side or with Drogba. 

Archived