talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Antoine Griezmann Signs For FC Barcelona

14 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Coming back to what’s going on in the Antoine Griezmann saga, there’s news...

Amazingly both FC Barcelona and Atlético Madrid who have a great relationship historically have gotten together to do a deal and negotiate instead of Barça paying the buy-out clause of €120m after July 1st. 

It’s known that Atleti are currently negotiating with Benfica for the acquisition of João Félix and that this will set Atlético back a supposed €126m. Well the plan is for Barcelona to pay slightly over that buy-out clause stipulation by €6m and in so doing paying for the amount João Félix would cost and in so doing balance out Atleti’s worries on further signings with their limit reaching FFP issues. They would be able to ignore the signing from Benfica and continue without restrictions on further summer signings. There is a further plus for both Barcelona and Atlético Madrid in that they would bypass further taxes on the transfer with the Spanish fiscal system.

Makes one think that Barça should just aign Félix themselves

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Its a win-win for both clubs and they both get really good players in two areas they're going to need them too. I wonder how much game-time Felix is going to get in his first season but only time will tell I guess. Benfica are also going to benefit from all this as I think the original deal was a bit-part payment system? Having the whole amount allows them to go hunting for necessary bolstering too.

9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Expectancy from today (1st of July) due to Antoine Griezmann’s buy-out clause going down from €320m to €120m. News should start to filter through pretty soon on his destination.

Crazy how Atletico have such a small clause in his contract when you consider how much they could actually get for him these days. In this day and age you can't expect to have such a clause and keep your players. Amateur mistake on their behalf and it's something they need to change.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joao Felix had a smaller clause than the actual fee they paid for him. Spanish clubs are weird like that. Buy him for 120 and stick a 90 mil clause in his contract xD

Just now, The Rebel CRS said:

Crazy how Atletico have such a small clause in his contract when you consider how much they could actually get for him these days. In this day and age you can't expect to have such a clause and keep your players. Amateur mistake on their behalf and it's something they need to change.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joao Felix had a smaller clause than the actual fee they paid for him. Spanish clubs are weird like that. Buy him for 120 and stick a 90 mil clause in his contract xD

I understand what you’re saying although I think Atlético only paid €30m for Griezmann if I remember well.

When he renewed before the World Cup he agreed to the €320m buy-out clause but for it to be reduced to €120m a year later. What I criticise in this is that he didn’t also dictate that his wages should also be reduced accordingly as he is one of the highest paid footballers on the planet with Atleti... He is on €28m a year without bonuses.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I understand what you’re saying although I think Atlético only paid €30m for Griezmann if I remember well.

When he renewed before the World Cup he agreed to the €320m buy-out clause but for it to be reduced to €120m a year later. What I criticise in this is that he didn’t also dictate that his wages should also be reduced accordingly as he is one of the highest paid footballers on the planet with Atleti... He is on €28m a year without bonuses.

Yeah he only cost them around 30-40 but it's still poor on their behalf.

I agree with you about his wage being reduced if his clause is, although football clubs are mugs in this regard.

• The title was changed to Antoine Griezmann - Buy-Out Clause Down To €120m

Both FC Barcelona and Atlético Madrid are deep into negotiations regarding the transfer of Antione Griezmann.

Barça trying to muster some sort of deal or it could also be to hide the fact that they’d already made a deal with the footballer without informing Atleti and waiting until the buy-out clause went down from €320m to €120m.

23 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Atletico have accused Barca of being disrespectful. Where have they been the last decade or so? Are the Spanish the last to learn their big clubs are incredibly disrespectful? 

But what they’re accusing Barcelona of is what they did to Real Sociedad with Griezmann. The irony of it all!

Plus any foreign club that has ever activated a buy-out clause will have had to do the same thing as there is no other way. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

But what they’re accusing Barcelona of is what they did to Real Sociedad with Griezmann. The irony of it all!

Plus any foreign club that has ever activated a buy-out clause will have had to do the same thing as there is no other way. 

Did they talk to Griezmann before activating that clause? Because that seems to be what Atletico are most pissed off about.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did they talk to Griezmann before activating that clause? Because that seems to be what Atletico are most pissed off about.

Why would you activate a buy-out clause without knowing if the player actually wants to play for you mate. There’s a lot of hypocrisy here. Who Atleti should really be pissed off at is Griezmann who made a show of his renewal last summer and then does this to the club that paid him one of the highest salaries in football anywhere in the world. 

Barcelona president also coming out and saying that the Neymar wants to leave PSG but they won't sell him. 

And you're telling me there isn't a culture in that club to put the pressure on like little snakes. 

35 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Why would you activate a buy-out clause without knowing if the player actually wants to play for you mate. There’s a lot of hypocrisy here. Who Atleti should really be pissed off at is Griezmann who made a show of his renewal last summer and then does this to the club that paid him one of the highest salaries in football anywhere in the world. 

I mean... isn't that tapping up though? Which isn't allowed and pisses clubs off a lot, as Liverpool found out when we tapped up big Virgil.

But yeah, Atletico also accused Griezmann of disrespect as well. That's what the BBC article on this is saying.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean... isn't that tapping up though? Which isn't allowed and pisses clubs off a lot, as Liverpool found out when we tapped up big Virgil.

But yeah, Atletico also accused Griezmann of disrespect as well. That's what the BBC article on this is saying.

We’ve spoken about this before mate. It is indeed tapping and not only that where activating a buy-out clause is concerned. Doing that is an act of aggression to the owning club as it obviously means that they don’t want to sell and because of that clause the contract has a price.

As for tapping up in general. It happens all the time everywhere. Do you think Arsenal haven’t spoken at all to Zaha when they did this latest thing?

• Subscriber
On 05/07/2019 at 20:38, SirBalon said:

Because if he turns you down then you don't have to actually pay it?

6 hours ago, Dan said:

Because if he turns you down then you don't have to actually pay it?

Yeah, clubs go around functioning like that mate.

Was that an ironic joke or were you being serious with that statement?

News this morning is that Antoine Griezmann has informed Atlético Madrid that he will be depositing the stipulated amount of €120m at the LFP headquarters in Madrid that buys-out his contract and frees him of obligations with the club.

If this is the case and he keeps his word that he won’t execute the orders by the club of returning when training commences for pre-season, then this will have to be done today as the return date for Atleti is tomorrow, Monday 7th of July.

So in theory we should have an ending to this saga today.

On 06/07/2019 at 06:31, SirBalon said:

We’ve spoken about this before mate. It is indeed tapping and not only that where activating a buy-out clause is concerned. Doing that is an act of aggression to the owning club as it obviously means that they don’t want to sell and because of that clause the contract has a price.

As for tapping up in general. It happens all the time everywhere. Do you think Arsenal haven’t spoken at all to Zaha when they did this latest thing?

I can see the logic to it. Discrete enquiries to find out whether it's worth taking anything further. Fairly practical really.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

So in theory we should have an ending to this saga today.

Not a moment to soon.

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

I can see the logic to it. Discrete enquiries to find out whether it's worth taking anything further. Fairly practical really.

Indeed there’s logic to it because it costs money and resources to negotiate and execute transfers without even starting to talk about transfer fees and terms with players. Imagine you do all that work and the player doesn’t even want to go to you while having wasted time and money to convince the owning club to have access to the player via the legal channels!

All clubs do this even though it’s not permitted. The problem is where you ascertain that a particular player wants to move to you and then when you go to the owning club they are adamant they don’t want to sell. In Spain we have buy-out clauses for this which Man City themselves have just used with the signing of Rodri, ironically from Atlético Madrid. The crap stuff is when the club that wants to buy uses other methods publicly to pressurise a sale.

Archived