talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019 MLS Golden Boot Winner: Carlos Vela

football forum

With @José under the belief Carlos Vela is the best player 'by a mile' in last years thread, which was won by a record setting goal scorer. Here is the current top 5 in this year's Golden Boot Award

1. Carlos Vela (LAFC) - 12
2. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (LA) - 9
3. Kaiansu Kamara (COL) - 7

4. Krisztian Nemeth (SKC) - 6
5. Wayne Rooney (DC) - 6

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ruidiaz' injury is going to restrict him from this sadly. He's been out for about 2-3 months so at most I can see him reaching 15 goals. Otherwise he would have been a proper contender like he always is.

7 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

Ruidiaz' injury is going to restrict him from this sadly. He's been out for about 2-3 months so at most I can see him reaching 15 goals. Otherwise he would have been a proper contender like he always is.

He's never been a contender in the States. 

Just now, José said:

:ay:very limited player indeed. 

Vela is having an incredible season though, no doubt. With the loss of Almiron, I don't expect Josef to win it again, unless him and Pity/Barco really start getting their connecting passes on point. 

It'll likely either be Ibra or Vela. Hopefully neither get injured and can play the entire year. 

4 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Yeah, not falling for that ;)

Nothing to fall for. 

He had 10 goals last year (Josef had over 30)
He has 3 goals this year (Vela has 12)

While I understand he didn't play an entire year and is hurt now, he is never been in contention for the Golden Boot. 

4 minutes ago, Eco said:

Nothing to fall for. 

He had 10 goals last year (Josef had over 30)
He has 3 goals this year (Vela has 12)

While I understand he didn't play an entire year and is hurt now, he is never been in contention for the Golden Boot. 

He was always in contention. He has been injured for most of the year and had about 10 goals in half a year, but scored a goal every game or 2. In the Liga MX, he was always within the top 3 goalscorers. Every season. I'm not having that he wasn't a contender, but each to their own. 

Hell - let's do basic math. 

Ruidaz last year scored .72 goals per game. WHAT if he played in 34 games, he'd end up with 24.5 goals
Josef scored .9 goals per game, and DID play in 34 games and ended up with 31 goals. 

No contest. 

Just now, Eco said:

Hell - let's do basic math. 

Ruidaz last year scored .72 goals per game. WHAT if he played in 34 games, he'd end up with 24.5 goals
Josef scored .9 goals per game, and DID play in 34 games and ended up with 31 goals. 

No contest. 

Well, 24.5 goals is still a very good total that would NORMALLY get you within the top 3. Thank you for proving my point.

3 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Well, 24.5 goals is still a very good total that would NORMALLY get you within the top 3. Thank you for proving my point.

Yes, if he had been at Seattle all year AND had kept up his scoring pace all year long without dips or injuries, he would have finished 2nd. 

But he didn't, and hasn't been able to prove that he can keep up that pace for an entire year. Until you are able to do so, you can't be a contender. He'll be a 'what if' guy until he is able to remain healthy and keep up that kind of scoring pace. 

And think what you may, but taking a small sample size, like Ruidaz last year with Seattle, and proclaiming him a contender, shows your obvious Peruvian bias. I don't dislike the guy, but don't come in here spouting bullshit and get offended when everyone calls you on it. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Yes, if he had been at Seattle all year AND had kept up his scoring pace all year long without dips or injuries, he would have finished 2nd. 

But he didn't, and hasn't been able to prove that he can keep up that pace for an entire year. Until you are able to do so, you can't be a contender. He'll be a 'what if' guy until he is able to remain healthy and keep up that kind of scoring pace. 

That's ridiculous. That's like saying Aguero isn't a contender for the Prem golden boot because of how injury prone he can be.

Just now, Eco said:

And think what you may, but taking a small sample size, like Ruidaz last year with Seattle, and proclaiming him a contender, shows your obvious Peruvian bias. I don't dislike the guy, but don't come in here spouting bullshit and get offended when everyone calls you on it. 

Yes, it's "peruvian bias" to say he's a contender when scoring 24.5 goals could normally get you within the top 2 goalscorers. As well as scoring 40+ goals in 2 years for Monarcas. Fuck me.

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

That's ridiculous. That's like saying Aguero isn't a contender for the Prem golden boot because of how injury prone he can be.

It's not ridiculous at all, because we have seen what Aguero can do for years in the EPL. 

Ruidaz has been in the States for half a year. 

Yes, it's "peruvian bias" to say he's a contender when scoring 24.5 goals could normally get you within the top 2 goalscorers. As well as scoring 40+ goals in 2 years for Monarcas. Fuck me.

But he didn't score 24.5 goals which is my point. Do it for a calendar year, and absolutely you are a contender. But sadly he hasn't been able to. 

Besides, like I said, I don't give a shit what he did at Monarcas, as it's a totally different league that has seen players don't perform the same when moving between the two leagues. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

It's not ridiculous at all, because we have seen what Aguero can do for years in the EPL. 

Ruidaz has been in the States for half a year. 

And yet he's dominated a superior league than the states.

Just now, Eco said:

But he didn't score 24.5 goals which is my point. Do it for a calendar year, and absolutely you are a contender. But sadly he hasn't been able to. 

Besides, like I said, I don't give a shit what he did at Monarcas, as it's a totally different league that has seen players don't perform the same when moving between the two leagues. 

It's still a better league though.

The bolded part is a good point, but Ruidiaz has had a good average. He's been unlucky with his injury, but it's nonsensical to put his injury in place as something that "won't allow him to keep the pace". I can't recall the last time he's been injured for this long and he got it about 6 games in anyways.

And yet he's dominated a superior league than the states.

So did Pity, who even won the South American PoY, yet has been fucking awful until a week ago. 

Sometimes your performance in a different league (whether superior or not) doesn't translate. 

Just now, Eco said:

So did Pity, who even won the South American PoY, yet has been fucking awful until a week ago. 

Sometimes your performance in a different league (whether superior or not) doesn't translate. 

By that logic, Harry Kane won't be a contender in the MLS either. He's done well in a different and superior league, so I can't see him do well in the MLS.

Apparently thinking Ruidiaz is a contender for the golden boot is "peruvian bias" despite having dominated every league he's played in so far. You have literally even mentioned his average and it's excellent, so it is ridiculous to claim he is not a contender looking at facts.

It's still a better league though.

The bolded part is a good point, but Ruidiaz has had a good average. He's been unlucky with his injury, but it's nonsensical to put his injury in place as something that "won't allow him to keep the pace". I can't recall the last time he's been injured for this long and he got it about 6 games in anyways.

It's a better league for sure. It also doesn't help the MLS that the Champions League is played before our season starts, whereas the Mexican teams are in mid-season form. But that's an MLS issue.

I think Ruidiaz 'could' be a top 5 at worst goal scorer in this league. But I need to see him do it for a calendar year before calling him a true contender. Ruidiaz has a great average for GPG, alongside Josef, Ibra, and Vela. But 3 of those players have done it for a longer stretch of time, which is my point in this whole conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

By that logic, Harry Kane won't be a contender in the MLS either. He's done well in a different and superior league, so I can't see him do well in the MLS.

Apparently thinking Ruidiaz is a contender for the golden boot is "peruvian bias" despite having dominated every league he's played in so far. You have literally even mentioned his average and it's excellent, so it is ridiculous to claim he is not a contender looking at facts.

And maybe that's the difference in our points. If right now Harry Kane came over, I'm not sure he would be a contender since he'd start 12 goals behind Vela at this point. Next year you'd expect him to contend for sure. 

This year Ruidaz won't be a contender because of his injury AND the fact that Vela is sooooooooo far ahead and likely not slowly down. 

Which is my point. 

Just now, Eco said:

I think Ruidiaz 'could' be a top 5 at worst goal scorer in this league. But I need to see him do it for a calendar year before calling him a true contender. Ruidiaz has a great average for GPG, alongside Josef, Ibra, and Vela. But 3 of those players have done it for a longer stretch of time, which is my point in this whole conversation. 

Fair enough. I don't agree because he's shown quite a bit so far but each to their own. Top 5 in goalscoring is fair.

Just now, Eco said:

And maybe that's the difference in our points. If right now Harry Kane came over, I'm not sure he would be a contender since he'd start 12 goals behind Vela at this point. Next year you'd expect him to contend for sure. 

This year Ruidaz won't be a contender because of his injury AND the fact that Vela is sooooooooo far ahead and likely not slowly down. 

Well my point was before the season, not during it.

Well my point was before the season, not during it.

Well -  we 12 matches into the season so you are about a month and a half late. 

4 minutes ago, José said:

xD he didnt dominate the Mexican league... he was lucky to play in a shitty team that had no other options forward. Scored a good amount of goals but most of them came against the bottom teams. Would score a brace or a hat trick against puebla and go missing against Tigres, Monterrey, leon, and club America. That's far from.dominating.

giphy.gif

• The title was changed to 2019 MLS Golden Boot Winner: Carlos Vela
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived