talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

New England Hire Bruce Arena As New Head Coach

football forum

xD

Bruce Arena appointed New England Revolution head coach, sporting director

New England Revolution has named five-time MLS Cup winner Bruce Arena as coach and sporting director.

The appointment of the former United States men's national team coach comes after second-year head coach Brad Friedel and general manager Mike Burns were dismissed over the past week.

Friedel, who was hired in 2018, finished in New England with a 12-21-13 record. His only previous head-coaching experience was a stint in charge of the U.S. under-19 men's national team. Burns had entered his eighth year as GM, having previously served as the team's director of player personnel. He also spent five seasons as a player with the Revs from 1996 to 2000.

"Bruce is one of the most successful coaches in American soccer history, and we feel his commitment to excellence, track record of winning championships in Major League Soccer, as well as his success at the international level, makes him the best person to bring the Revolution back to MLS Cup contention," Revolution investor/operator Robert Kraft said in a statement.

"We have known Bruce dating back to the advent of MLS, and we have full confidence that he will raise the level of our club to the standard we all expect and demand."

Arena, who will be formally introduced at a news conference on Thursday, has been out of work since leaving the U.S. men's national team following its failure to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, his second spell in the role.

The 67-year-old has previously coached D.C. United, New York Red Bulls and LA Galaxy in MLS. He won two MLS Cups while in charge of D.C. and three while at the helm of the Galaxy and has been MLS Coach of the Year on three occasions.

"In my conversations with the Kraft family and [Revs president] Brian Bilello, it's clear that they have high expectations for the club and I believe there is a tremendous opportunity for me to create a winning culture throughout the Revolution organization," Arena said.

"Boston is a great sports town with a history of championship teams, and I am looking forward to working with the staff and players to make the Revolution a club that our supporters can be proud of and that can be part of the tradition of success in New England."

Arena's first game will be away to Montreal Impact on Saturday (live on ESPN+ at 1 p.m. ET), and his first home game will be against his former side D.C. United on May 25 (live on ESPN+ at 7.30 p.m. ET).

• The title was changed to New England Hire Bruce Arena As New Head Coach
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived