• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Final - MEXICO 1 - 0 USA

football forum

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Eco said:

What a strike from Curacao with in 93rd minute to draw level 1-1. Holy Shit. 

With Honduras beating El Salvador 4-0, that's enough for Curacao to go through. Historic achievement for them.

They have a very unbalanced squad. 3-4 players who are, or have been in top leagues at some point where as the rest play in the Dutch lower leagues. That's still 3-4 more players than you'd expect a small carribean island to have though!

1 hour ago, Grizzly21 said:

With Honduras beating El Salvador 4-0, that's enough for Curacao to go through. Historic achievement for them.

They have a very unbalanced squad. 3-4 players who are, or have been in top leagues at some point where as the rest play in the Dutch lower leagues. That's still 3-4 more players than you'd expect a small carribean island to have though!

Curacao have done amazing but they have improved since Kluivert was their coach.  

2 hours ago, Grizzly21 said:

Curacao have done amazing but they have improved since Kluivert was their coach.  

1 hour ago, Eco said:

I watched it live. What a moment for Curacao..

I said a while ago that Curacao that will be a decent football side soon,  they will only get better, its amazing the work Kluivert did to put them where they are now. 

Tonight is Panama vs USA. Winners wins the groups and gets to play Curacao. 

On paper, only two teams in this tournament are not a bore to watch, and that's Mexico and USA. I Imagine it could be an easy route for Mexico and USA to meet in the finals. 

Isn’t there any way of integrating the Gold Cup into the Copa América which makes total sense. It would make the competition a world wide phenomenon by being inclusive of the whole continent like the European Championships are.

9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Isn’t there any way of integrating the Gold Cup into the Copa América which makes total sense. It would make the competition a world wide phenomenon by being inclusive of the whole continent like the European Championships are.

I was thinking about this yesterday and how I disagree with it. Sure it's silly that Mexico or the USA always piss it, but it gives other teams like El Salvador or Honduras, with pretty sizeable populations, a chance to compete and celebrate the tournament. It will also dilute quality in the Copa America and qualification times would be difficult.

19 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

I was thinking about this yesterday and how I disagree with it. Sure it's silly that Mexico or the USA always piss it, but it gives other teams like El Salvador or Honduras, with pretty sizeable populations, a chance to compete and celebrate the tournament. It will also dilute quality in the Copa America and qualification times would be difficult.

How would getting two teams in the top 25 in the world be 'diluting' Copa America? 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

How would getting two teams in the top 25 in the world be 'diluting' Copa America? 

Qualification formats could mean one or two weaker teams could sneak in.

Although the easiest thing to do if they do merge is to just make qualifying for Carribean and central american teams, while automatically qualifying all 10 South Americans + Mexico and the USA. Just like in 2016.

Still, I am against it because the Copa America is a tournament with great history.

4 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Qualification formats could mean one or two weaker teams could sneak in.

Although the easiest thing to do if they do merge is to just make qualifying for Carribean and central american teams, while automatically qualifying all 10 South Americans + Mexico and the USA. Just like in 2016.

Still, I am against it because the Copa America is a tournament with great history.

This doesn't make sense to me? It's Copa AMERICA, why not involve....I don't know...the AMERICAS. 

This tournament should always include both North & South America, it makes the most sense and only adds viewers and $$$ to the tournament .Gold Cup can fuck off. 

Canada lead 2-0 against Haiti. I know Haiti are a mess defensively but that doesn't change how good Canada has been in the midfield and up front. A joy to watch. Defensively still suspect but they should have enough to grind this to a victory.

50 minutes ago, Grizzly21 said:

Canada lead 2-0 against Haiti. I know Haiti are a mess defensively but that doesn't change how good Canada has been in the midfield and up front. A joy to watch. Defensively still suspect but they should have enough to grind this to a victory.

Lol. This was all my fault.

Coach should be sacked.  Why is Davies playing as left back??

total collapse. 

And then they wonder why there is no following for the national team when they lose to team whose country is still recovering from an devastating earthquake. 

I need to vent cuz this should not have happened. Heartbreaking. Disgusting.  

What halftime talk did the coach give? Not much of one. 

Costa Rica and Mexico to extra time. I want los Ticos to win. Nowt against Mexico but this Costa Rica generation needs to win something before they move on. They did well in that World Cup but have won nothing. Jamaica and Panama have been to more Gold Cup finals since the start of this generation.

• The title was changed to 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Final - MEXICO 1 - 0 USA

Started too late for me to stay up and watch. 

Saw we lost 1-0, but we missed 'a lot' of chances. 

Regardless, losing to Mexico 1-0 isn't a shock, and this tournament saw a lot of improvement in our team. 

Congrats @Teso dos Bichos

• The topic was unpinned

Archived