talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka Signs for Man Utd

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

I can only dream Stanley boy... keeping jones AND adding a decent bench defender to solve the issue is just adding more problems than solving. I thought Woodward couldn't let me down anymore but this is a new low especially given that LCfc will spend that money foolishly like they have lately. Waste of money in every direction you turn if it happens xD

Perez + Tielemans foolish? Let's be serious mate you're having a laugh. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
18 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Tielemans would walk into that United midfield.

And I'm guessing if he chose to move to them instead of us it'd be part of the 'process' and in no way foolish :coffee:

• Subscriber

Who is James Garner? And hasn't Fosu Mensah had two pretty average/unsuccessful loan spells in two seasons? Mata doesn't play central and nor does Pereira as far as I know. Fred is shite and Matic changes direction about as sharply as a shopping trolley with the wheels removed. McTominay might turn out decent to be fair, and Pogba has his moments but yeah there's no reason you couldn't claim it's pretty easy to find Tielemans a slot in that team.

• Subscriber
On 17/07/2019 at 18:36, Teso dos Bichos said:

Pogba, matic, scottie, TFM, Pereira, fred, mata and James Garner... I dont see Tielemans getting no were near that midfield tbh. Not only talented but the chemistry among them will be vital for the upcoming years. The process is real 

Hahahahahahaha even by your standards this is incredible

• Subscriber

As for his defensive stats - impressive, but largely skewed by playing in a defensive side by nature where he'll be asked to do less attacking and be better protected. Lets see if he's posting similar stats for Man Utd - I'll say not.

23 minutes ago, Dan said:

As for his defensive stats - impressive, but largely skewed by playing in a defensive side by nature where he'll be asked to do less attacking and be better protected. Lets see if he's posting similar stats for Man Utd - I'll say not.

I think he’s got the physical attributes to be a good solid defensive fullback that makes good attacking runs. I don’t know if he’ll ever be a good crosser though, we’ve only seen a season of him - so time will tell I think.

I think it really depends on how United set up and how they use him.

• Subscriber

I'm surprised by the negative comments regarding this transfer. I think he will be great at United. It's what they need, more young hungry players and less ego's. He has the makings of a World Class player. 

5 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I'm surprised by the negative comments regarding this transfer. I think he will be great at United. It's what they need, more young hungry players and less ego's. He has the makings of a World Class player. 

It is strange how before he signed for United he was the best thing since sliced bread and now he’s not that good

4 hours ago, Danny said:

It is strange how before he signed for United he was the best thing since sliced bread and now he’s not that good

His performance against France I’m assuming. Only as good as your last game it seems. 

I think this thread shows that I have consistently held the view he’s a good player and that I didn’t want United to get him.

If they get Maguire in addition to him, they’ve improved pretty significantly at the back compared to last year, regardless of how much they’ve paid.

31 minutes ago, Stan said:

My gripe was more the fact they've just forked out £50m for a player after only one season. 

There’s a few reasons he’s costing so much: 1) he’s English, so English-player-tax applies, 2.) he’s a physical beast and he’s young - he’s got the raw attributes to build on his one good season to be a top player with the right coaching. Whether that speculation is right or wrong, players like that at his age have always commanded a premium. Especially when it’s an English player going to a big club... , 3.) he made a move to a big club and a club with very deep pockets. Palace could understandably demand a King’s ransom (like you can/are with Maguire) as they’d probably like to keep him - and United can afford to pay. And it’s always better to get your top targets.

But it’s fair to question whether there were better or cheaper - but in Wan-Bissaka’s case they’re paying for the potential, which I think is pretty high.

• Subscriber

My question about him is mainly style. I could be wrong on that though. He just strikes me as a bit more of a defensive minded full back under a manager who'll want more attacking - more out of his comfort zone, defensive stats propped up by playing in a Hodgson side.

I could be totally wrong though.

• Subscriber

I don't think anyone is saying he's shit, I just have doubts about his attacking output which is basically essential for a top level full back these days. Perhaps they reckon they can coach him to reach Robertson/TAA levels of attacking output, but that would require joined up thinking on the part of United's hierarchy so that's a bit farfetched in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't think anyone is saying he's shit, I just have doubts about his attacking output which is basically essential for a top level full back these days. Perhaps they reckon they can coach him to reach Robertson/TAA levels of attacking output, but that would require joined up thinking on the part of United's hierarchy so that's a bit farfetched in my opinion.

Yeah, he's not a modern attacking fullback in the sense that he's not got the same sort of incisive runs and crossing our two fullbacks do. But I do think there's two things to say about that. First, he's been playing at Crystal Palace - so he's going to be asked to be a defender first and foremost. We'll have to see how he does at a different club, but for what it's worth (and because it's pre-season and it might not mean much) I saw a bit of one of United's pre-season matches and he was making decent runs. He's not got the same crossing ability and maybe he never will, but if he can make the runs and create width he can still be a good attacking fullback. He just won't be putting in the ridiculous number of assists our fullbacks do.

The second point is, how much of Robertson and Trent's output is due to the system we play. Our wide men cut inside constantly and our midfield will have 2/3 of Milner, Henderson, Gini, or Fabinho - some of our hardest working players - that do a lot of leg work for our fullbacks to bomb forward so much. It also helps that both fullbacks have also done their fair share of defensive work... and we're lucky we have two very good players like that, that work so well in our system. But how would these fullbacks attacking output look in a different system? My guess is a system that doesn't have it's wide play built around it's fullbacks (granted, that's more rare in the modern game)

I think both of them would still look class - because they're very good fullbacks who are very well rounded. But I also think that Wan-Bissaka can develop into a well rounded modern fullback that has offensive and defensive strength out wide - just more focused on the defensive side. And in the right side with the right system, he'll look quality - assuming he does develop into that.

And even if he doesn't, he'll be a hell of a lot better than Ashley Young. So there's that.

• 4 months later...

Archived