Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
Stan

England Squad Announced for UEFA Nations League Finals

Southgate said he won't call on some U21s as he wants them to have best chance of winning U21 Euros.

Here is the confirmed England squad:

Goalkeepers:
Butland
Pickford
Heato

Defenders:
Chilwell
Delph
Keane
Maguire
Alexander-Arnold
Gomez
Rose
Stones
Trippier
Walker

Midfielders:
Alli
Barkley
Dier
Henderson
Lingard
Redmond
Rice
Ward-Prowse
Winks

Forwards:
Kane
Rashford
Sancho
Sterling
Wilson

Isn't it too early after the Champions League final 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

The fuck are Delph and Lingard doing there 

Don't know about Delph as I have not been keeping tabs on him but Lingard I agree, he has been playing shite for United for a while now and is never a regular in the United team and is only a bench man.

Delph? Trippier? Dier? Lingard?

I'm guessing Southgate wants these players to finish up with this competition, as they were part of qualifying for it, before he drops them. Or hopefully that's the case.

We're clearly not taking it that seriously really. If we were we'd have had the likes of Maddison and Wan-Bissaka in the squad and we'd have called Vardy out of retirement.

12 hours ago, 6666 said:

I'm guessing Southgate wants these players to finish up with this competition, as they were part of qualifying for it, before he drops them. Or hopefully that's the case.

Or Southgate is going to phase in the younger lads like Wan-Bissaka etc in the Qualifiers, because they’re pretty easy games, rather than in the semi-finals and potentially, Final, of a tournament. 

Bulgaria and Kosovo in September are glorified friendlies, really. We’ll win both pretty convincingly. 

14 hours ago, Dan said:

We're clearly not taking it that seriously really. If we were we'd have had the likes of Maddison and Wan-Bissaka in the squad and we'd have called Vardy out of retirement.

Not taking Maddison and Wan-Bissaka is hardly not taking it seriously. Wan-Bassaka is a good talent but we’ve got Walker and TAA at RB.

Maddison doesn’t make the starting 11 in that squad, so both get to play for the u21s at a tournament instead.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Not taking Maddison and Wan-Bissaka is hardly not taking it seriously. Wan-Bassaka is a good talent but we’ve got Walker and TAA at RB.

Maddison doesn’t make the starting 11 in that squad, so both get to play for the u21s at a tournament instead.

That bit in bold there basically proves the point anyway. We're not taking it seriously as we're leaving out players who should really be in this (Lingard over Maddison, seriously?) and sending them to that instead. That's fair enough but to me it just shows we aren't taking it seriously.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

That bit in bold there basically proves the point anyway. We're not taking it seriously as we're leaving out players who should really be in this (Lingard over Maddison, seriously?) and sending them to that instead. That's fair enough but to me it just shows we aren't taking it seriously.

Mate Maddison is a bit better than average and won’t get ahead of Alli or Barkley to start, we’ve then got Henderson, Rice and Dier if we go for a defensive midfield 2. After Alli and Barkley he has to take a spot from Kane, Sterling, Rashford and Sancho. You’re kidding yourself if you think he makes the starting 11.

We’ve got a right back from a side who just won the league and a right back from a side who nearly won the league and are in the final of the Champions League and we’ve got a right back who played well for us in the World Cup even if he’s not as good as he was for us.

Youre joking if you think not taking Wan-Bassaka or Maddison means were not taking this seriously considering the players we have in the squad. And let’s be honest Lingard on form really Isn’t that much different to Maddison. Maddison just has lower expectations to perform to.

On 16/05/2019 at 12:01, 6666 said:

Trippier's not had the best season... but he's also proven himself in this England side. And I think this year there's the very real possibility that he's not the England starting left back, as Trippier's not impressed this season while Trent has built on his impressive break-out season and looks to have improved a bit. So I'm not surprised to see him in the squad, particularly because Southgate has said he wants the U-21s to take their tournament seriously - so Wan-Bissaka will be playing in that rather than sat on the bench.

Delph I can understand including in the squad because of his versatility. He's very clearly a squad player, he can play in the midfield and he can cover the fullback spots. And he knows what it is to be a squad player in a good side - Manchester City are a much better side than the current England national team. Think he serves a purpose 

I think Dier is shite. Not gonna justify his inclusion, other than the fact that England don't have many pure ball winning midfielders currently. Having said that, in modern football just being a ball-winner really isn't enough. I think Spurs should get rid and I don't think he should be an England regular.

Lingard is another one I can't justify his inclusion because of how shite he is. He barely scores, he's had less assists in his entire career than Trent Alexander-Arnold, a fullback, had in just the last season. He's a player that offers so little in terms of attacking output and I don't think he's got an exceptional workrate where you can justify putting him in a side because you know he'll give 110% and would run through brick walls for the team if asked. For some reason he's treated like he's still some emerging young talent, but he's 26. And throughout his career he's demonstrated limited attacking output, even in the Championship, yet here he is being called up to the England squad and still at Manchester United.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Mate Maddison is a bit better than average and won’t get ahead of Alli or Barkley to start, we’ve then got Henderson, Rice and Dier if we go for a defensive midfield 2. After Alli and Barkley he has to take a spot from Kane, Sterling, Rashford and Sancho. You’re kidding yourself if you think he makes the starting 11.

We’ve got a right back from a side who just won the league and a right back from a side who nearly won the league and are in the final of the Champions League and we’ve got a right back who played well for us in the World Cup even if he’s not as good as he was for us.

Youre joking if you think not taking Wan-Bassaka or Maddison means were not taking this seriously considering the players we have in the squad. And let’s be honest Lingard on form really Isn’t that much different to Maddison. Maddison just has lower expectations to perform to.

Scored and assisted more than Alli, Barkley and Lingard this season so I don't get this attitude that it's a ridiculous suggestion by any means. I thought it was too early for him earlier in the season but he's worthy of a call up now - certainly if the likes of Lingard are still getting them.

15 minutes ago, Dan said:

Scored and assisted more than Alli, Barkley and Lingard this season so I don't get this attitude that it's a ridiculous suggestion by any means. I thought it was too early for him earlier in the season but he's worthy of a call up now - certainly if the likes of Lingard are still getting them.

Ridiculous to suggest we’re not taking the tournament seriously because we’ve not picked Maddison, you need to take the tinted glasses off. Alli is a better player regardless of his low numbers this season, Barkley has already played well for England and won’t be pushed out of the team that easily and yes Maddison has played better than Lingard but there’s really not much between them as players atm.

Theres no room for Maddison in the starting 11 and so he’s been sent to the U21 Euros to get game time. Good decision.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Ridiculous to suggest we’re not taking the tournament seriously because we’ve not picked Maddison, you need to take the tinted glasses off. Alli is a better player regardless of his low numbers this season, Barkley has already played well for England and won’t be pushed out of the team that easily and yes Maddison has played better than Lingard but there’s really not much between them as players atm.

Theres no room for Maddison in the starting 11 and so he’s been sent to the U21 Euros to get game time. Good decision.

Danny Knows. 

Decimating the U21’s so that Maddison, Wan Bissaka etc could sit on the bench in Portugal, because that’s exactly what they’d have done, would have been a poor move by Southgate, whose “bigger picture” approach to the England set-up means we have a strong team going to Portugal for the Nations League and a strong squad heading to Italy for the U21 Euros. 

• Upvote 1