talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

If money was no object, what club would you buy?

football forum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

Southend United FC, never been higher than the 1st division which they are in now, we lived in Southend-on-Sea on and off for a number of years and lived just behind their stadium Roots Hall, they were formed in the Blue Boar pub in 1906 and that pub was one of our haunts when going for a pint.   

They were in the Championship in about 07-08 for a year or two. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

They were in the Championship in about 07-08 for a year or two. 

Aye, you are right, I moved back to Scotland in 1996 and lost track a bit but I always nowadays keep track (or try) of their matches, I enjoyed living down there and as we lived right behind Roots Hall stadium and you could always here a roar from the supporters on match day at home if they scored, bit like where I now live here in Scotland right behind Hibernians Easter Road when they are playing at home and score.  

If any club I would love to buy here in Scotland It would be Edinburgh City or Livingston, local teams really.

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Sevilla would be one worth buying I think as they are a club that have potential to be great with the right investment, etc @SirBalon

Haha... You’re right although Valencia have even more potential. But I’m from the mountains in the north and I don’t like southern pussies. :o

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

I'll go with Blue, I'll make my own club in my home town Sargodha FC  

I've gotten back into streaming on Twitch and I've started an FM save with a custom club named K2 United in the Pakistani league. Just thought you'd be keen on knowing. Trying to evolve Pakistan as a football nation.

I mentioned on another thread that if I was rich and had good money, though not quite a billionaire like you get at the top level of the game and especially in the Premier League and I wanted to lose money and buy a Football Club, I’d genuinely consider Hearts or Hibernian in Scotland. 

Firstly, it would likely be cheaper to buy a side in Scotland's capital than a side in London at the same level or the Championship.

Secondly, the location. As I’ve said, Edinburgh is Scotland’s capital, it’s a lovely city and only less than an hour from London via aeroplane and still only a couple of hours from some of Europe’s more desirable cities, so I’d hope that could hold some weight when attracting players, coaching staff, sponsors etc. 

Money is also a factor. Buying a Premier League club requires vast amounts of money and if you’re going to invest that sum, you’re going to want some kind of tangible return like a trophy and the money required to compete at the top end of the Premier League is eye watering and a massive loss each year, the same can be said to a lesser extent of the Championship, the money involved to get a side out of that league is getting larger and then you’d need money to compete in the Premier League, whereas in Scotland, the two Edinburgh sides are already established top level sides and rather than competing with the money some of these Premier League clubs have, you only have to compete with Celtic and Rangers and to a lesser extent, Aberdeen, which, while difficult, will still be less money than the Premier League/Championship. 

It’s a little , or at least I’d expect it to be, easier to get into European competition with Hearts/Hibs than say buying a Championship/Premier League team.

Both grounds seem pretty good too, so you wouldn’t need to invest too much there, which is another cost saving. 

19 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Haha... You’re right although Valencia have even more potential. But I’m from the mountains in the north and I don’t like southern pussies. :o

Valencia are cunts though mate.

Real Betis would actually be another club worth buying. They already have a big stadium which would go along way if you were aspiring to take a club to another level.

Think if I won the lottery, I’d probably buy a little local non-league club as more of a labour of love rather than throwing money at them to get promoted up the leagues, ala Salford City, Billericay Town etc. 

I’d lay one of those 4G surfaces so that there’s a potential income stream there 365 days a year and allows the side to train on it. 

I’d make sure the club had a decent sized bar, that again would be another source of income for the club, that would be open as a bar seven days a week but also holding parties etc. 

Land and cost permitting, I’d try and build something else there that could be under the same umbrella as the club and an income source for the club every day, like a gym or something like that. 

• Subscriber

As I mentioned before as another option of buying Southend United in Essex I would buy a team here in Scotland like Livingston or Edinburgh City, Edinburgh Citys home ground is at Meadowbank Stadium and it's undergoing redevelopment at the moment but Meadowbank is only about a mile from us

And it brings back memories for me as our son was at that stadium in the Schools Athletics and representing the school in 1985 and me and the wife went along and watched and cheered him on, it was also the venue for the 1986 Commonwealth Games.

800px-Meadowbank_Stadium_panorama.jpg

3 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

As I mentioned before as another option of buying Southend United in Essex I would buy a team here in Scotland like Livingston or Edinburgh City, Edinburgh Citys home ground is at Meadowbank Stadium and it's undergoing redevelopment at the moment but Meadowbank is only about a mile from us

And it brings back memories for me as our son was at that stadium in the Schools Athletics and representing the school in 1985 and me and the wife went along and watched and cheered him on, it was also the venue for the 1986 Commonwealth Games.

800px-Meadowbank_Stadium_panorama.jpg

Edinburgh City play at Ainslie Park while Meadowbank is being re-developed. Any ideas how it’s being redeveloped? It looks like an athletics stadium from your picture, hopefully it’s being turned more football friendly. 

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Edinburgh City play at Ainslie Park while Meadowbank is being re-developed. Any ideas how it’s being redeveloped? It looks like an athletics stadium from your picture, hopefully it’s being turned more football friendly. 

The pitch is in the middle, once the re-development is complete it will be another tourist attraction for Edinburgh.

Meadowbank Re-development

Edit: As per VIDEO, the playing field.

Meadowbank Football Pitch.

1637824147_download(1).thumb.png.0fa8980e482d272b665e3616431f7339.png 

download.thumb.png.78215ad9616e68d79a0d9dc27114845d.png

Archived