talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Schalke 04 Thread - Komm' auch du zum S04!

Just now, nudge said:

I think @Tommy has him on Facebook; maybe he knows?

I wonder why liverbird never re-joined the forum after we moved.

His name was Ryan, right?

liverbird seems to be constantly traveling. She's always somewhere else :D

• Subscriber
Just now, Tommy said:

His name was Ryan, right?

liverbird seems to be constantly traveling. She's always somewhere else :D

Yeah I think so...

I have Teo on fb (and had her on Instagram until I deleted my account) but never talk to her... Just thought it's a pity she didn't join us here.

Just now, nudge said:

Yeah I think so...

I have Teo on fb (and had her on Instagram until I deleted my account) but never talk to her... Just thought it's a pity she didn't join us here.

I messaged him. But his last activity on FB was in October 2018. So I dunno. 

I would message Teo, but she scares me a little.

• Haha 1

Nice to have another 04 crazy person on here. Happily you have just about missed the worst season in years since Magrat decimated the team, but Tedesco even managed a greater debacle and the idiots upstairs sat and let it happen.  I am only 3 miles from the Terriers ground in the UK and had a few moments with David W early this year when things were looking sad here, but the thought of his 'coming home' was never far from his mind - now it's happened my spirits are back up again.  His rebuilding - like he did here in the UK - will be interesting as there are a few of the present squad who - to use a common phrase - are simply not fit for purpose.  It would be nice to sit and watch the present gang go out on a high today, but even though there is nothing to play for they will probably just go through the motions and await what fate has for them.

As for our friend Thea (livabird) she is still in Essen living a very happy life with he new husband who we all met on the get together in Duisburg and is still very passionately singing in or around the Nordkurv, but work and travel are her second and 3rd passion after husband and her singing is still as bad as it was - but a really lovely young lady to spend time with. - in fact kind enough to save me a hotel bill last time we sat and watched Eintracht knock us out of the Pokal!  I will try her this weekend on Skyp and tell her you are all asking - if she has not already had a sneaky look at this thread!

Leroy and Ilkay are down in London for their big day today, but he is still thinking about coming home to Germany next season and the Munchkins and Leon are trying to persuade him with money!!!  Raquel (Ivan's lady) is wanting Milan not Gelsenkirchen as first choice next year so that's another not possible for DW, but I still get the feeling that at least one former player of stature will return - Thea's fav, Benny, could be the one! Gawd knows the defence needs him!

As for Peter (Manuel) his love of Italian food and the fact that his girl friend from school is now Mrs Neuer ended up with her becoming Frau Neuer in a little Italian Church in Monopoli, just South of Bari, gives you another link with your fav guy - long may you have such good taste.  Live with the barbs and comments that nudge and Tommy throw at us - again they are really fine people and despite what might seem the opposite, we all live here with Respect as our key word.  This is not facebook as there is far too much honesty and decency on this site for that.  When I looked after it I used to (sadly) spend time removing all the f and c words but they do not have the same degree of abusiveness to my German Students so I live with them - sometimes still daily when I return to Berger Feld, but when Tommy took over I knew TFF was in safe hands.

Welcome, stay nice (sei Nett as Manuel says) and live long and prosper!

Edited by SchalkeUK
grammar correction
  • Like 1

Finally the season is over and we can look forward.

In an ideal world, my cornerstone for the next season are Cali and Serdar.

I would also like to keep two of Stambouli, Nastasic e Sané.

I like what I've seen from Boujellab in the last games and I hope he can be something next season.

The rest (yes, even Nubel at the right price) is expendable.

Edited by ManuelNeuerGegenPorto

Nastasic has been getting less and less reliable with each game - finally resulting in being left out - amen to him!

Sane has the grace and speed of an elephant and when Joel was younger his nickname 'spater' fitted his play sometimes (and still does) Sane is better at being late than ever Joel was.

Sadly, Boujalleb is a bit like young Amin Harit- very clever at times, but lacking the strength to compete in BL - he was bullied off the ball too many times on Saturday and Amin has already got himself on to the referee's list of players who dive, cheat and pretend - so no free kicks for him!.

Nothing to add in favour of either Stambouli or Caliguiri - both have been awful this season more than they have been good.

Nubel looks like a young Manuel so our habit of bringing up young good keepers for other teams has to stop!

Matondo looked good at City but has yet to show he is strong enough to compete against the big boys

I won't even waste more than a sentence on the offside king, Burgstaller, or the walking 'mouth' Bentaleb who is disruptive every time he takes the field or gets into the dressing room.

In August it will be 70 years exactly since I saw my first 04 game on the old pitch and I have never felt so negative about  a season like this - even Magrat couldn't achieve that or Slomka falling out with Mustafa - Mesut's dad which saw his departure for Bremen.  David Wagner missed out on playing in the final in Italy, but still has a medal and I look forward to him getting another one soon - but even one season may not be enough time to repair Tedesco's damage.  Some might consider the future to be Orange!  - hopefully it could be slightly Royal Blue!

My thoughts on Michael Reschke are simple - like all management in sport (I spent 15 years with a professional team and did what I am saying here) keep out of the team Manager's face!  Be there to assist and help - not to instruct or interfere.  If he is the right man he will succeed, if he is not he will fail but either way it should be down to him and not to the people upstairs who have their own job to do without trying to employ others and then do that as well. So much recent time in Munich and Stuttgart puts him at a disadvantage in knowing very little about the present squad and even less about the Academy which has produced brilliant youngsters in the past - and present - only to see them prosper elsewhere and still be playing better than our present squad members (Khan at Dusseldorf is a prime example).  David Wagner has proved he is to be trusted to be his own man - just let him get on with the job - Tedesco was allowed to live on a reputation for 2nd place in the BL which was given to him by other teams under-performing at the end of season 2017/18 - it was not earned or deserved and his inability to deal with senior players who did just what they wanted, and young players who were bullied and disrespected was reflected in the way the upper men let him tear the team to pieces.  His inability to talk to Leon, Max and Thilo or deal with Di Santo or Betaleb was terrible and David has to start and get the respect back again - partially by being drastic in sorting out the August 2019 squad.  Reschke has worked with some brilliant managers and knows when to be seen and heard and when not to be either - 04 now needs a period of stability and that may take more than just one season to achieve.  My normal Monday morning greetings in schools in the UK used to be 'Morning Sir, - drawn again eh?' I could live with that again for now! With 34 games drawn and 34 points in the table we would this year have been safe and 1 point better off. keeping the 8 we won and drawing the rest would have given us 50 and just above Tommy's lot in 10th. No one is even thinking that Fortuna have had anything other than a good season and deserved their position.  For me next season - anything there or there abouts would be nice!

• Upvote 1

Not sure paying 7 million for a player who was let go as being not good enough at the time is a brilliant idea.  I know he has had a good season with goals and assists but in a lower division against inferior opposition. Still, if the choice if David Wagner's then I am prepared to respect and trust his judgement and let him get on with the job!  Bernard is certainly a great improvement on Burgstaller - mind you anything would be an improvement on Burgstaller!

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Not sure paying 7 million for a player who was let go as being not good enough at the time is a brilliant idea.  I know he has had a good season with goals and assists but in a lower division against inferior opposition. Still, if the choice if David Wagner's then I am prepared to respect and trust his judgement and let him get on with the job!  Bernard is certainly a great improvement on Burgstaller - mind you anything would be an improvement on Burgstaller!

7 million? His buy-back clause was 2,5 million (and only because Paderborn got promoted; otherwise it would have been 1,5 million only). At any case, it seems Schalke want to sell or loan him out directly again, apparently a deal with Fortuna is on the cards already.

• 2 weeks later...

Good and bad news today!  David is bringing 04 to play against old friend Kloppy's Liverpool team in a friendly in August - My wife and I fly to Canada the day after - 7am check-in in Manchester.  Not sure if I will be allowed to sit in Anfield and then drive to The Airport for an overnight - how weird can it get?

Watching Leroy having a good game in Belarus at the moment - he's playing well with Gnabry and Kimmich - sign of things to come?