talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Schalke 04 Thread - Komm' auch du zum S04!

One that ATL seems to have missed!

Not to worry as on the old TFF I started this thread anyway back in the dim and distant past and usually only Thea (liverbird) and I often kept it going with nice comments from our BVB friend - and for those who are new, forget Man U and Liverpool and Celtic and Rangers - BVB and 04 can be real rivals as you will see this weekend, but the respect that we have for each other on here is unbreakable and as solid as you can get. We all have a sneaking jealousy of the Munchkins down south, but that's really down to their money and the way they tend to 'steal' our best guys - they are happy this season due to both goalkeeper and striker - one from each of us so we have to watch them as we remain true to our original young players.  So what's the thinking about Saturday - another draw????

This Derby is really close, with no team being the really dominant one historically. Tough to call as Schalke have one loss at home since the winter break, whilst BVB have lost 3 times on the road, albeit one of those was in Europe. 

A draw looks to be a decent shout and the bookies have Bvb as favourites. As my loyalties are with the Royal Blue, it's a home win from me.  

Edited by trago

Sport 1 have the usual pre-match guess at the team line-up.  I hope Choupo-Mercenary has not recovered from getting injured sitting on the aircraft and the dick-head in charge starts with Max (or maybe he is determined to get Max to ask for a transfer rather than just sell him) and if our best wing back is fit enough for Hannover why is he still sidelined for the BL?  This is getting sillier match by match! Who's your money on to get Kolasinac?  I know Benny is trying to persuade him to stay, but under the present leader - no chance.

Interesting and more interesting.  Not only do we have Sad K and Max M talking to UK managers, now Leon Goretzka is doing the same with Arsenal leading the discussions.

The coach is certainly getting the best players fed up with his lack of respect and professionalism and we will be left with a team of cast-offs and has-beens led by the No 1 Merecenary in the BL.  Shades of Magrat all over again!  I wonder if the present guy is on a similar % of sales?

Sad K - should read Sead Kolaniac who is ready to leave in June/July having been messed about - neither a winger nor a back as far as the coach is concerned.  In the temperatures of Rio the young German Olympics Captain lasted a full game and scored the only goal when others were wilting.  OInly the Schalke coach refuses to play him for 90 minutes - not even Lowe does that as often for the National side.  And when Leon started the season he was an attacking mid-fielder - what's his position now?  As long as there is space for Choupo and Nastasic and the other 'old men' look out Timo you're next.  Please supply answers on a small piece of white paper and send to whoever at Gelsenkirchen wants to listen!  Benny has always been 04 since a kid, but he must wonder what is going on!  Who does he play with alongside him next game?  How on earth can the defence be solid when it is different for almost every match?  Sorry, I am now moving home and will be without the internet until 18 April - time enough for non-believers to smile and watch whilst we all suffer - me , in silence.  A defeat today against a poor Wolfsburg side will just about sort out the rest of the season and a fight against the rest for third bottom!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Tedesco takes over

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40228554

Bundesliga side Schalke have appointed 31-year-old Domenico Tedesco as coach to replace the sacked Markus Weinzierl.

Last season, Tedesco took charge of second-tier FC Erzgebirge Aue for the last 11 games - his first job as a boss - and guided them to survival.

Tedesco has signed a two-year deal at Schalke, who finished 10th in the German top-flight.

The division's youngest coach Julian Nagelsmann, 29, has extended his deal with Hoffenheim until 2021.

Nagelsmann took over in February 2016 without a proper senior licence, but led them to a club-best fourth-placed finish, qualifying for the Champions League play-offs.

His excellent showing has since seen him linked several bigger clubs,including champions Bayern Munich.

• 3 weeks later...

Possible signing of replacement for Max - I did say some time ago that young Max will leave this summer - after the crap he endured last season it is no surprise. My hope is that he will join up with Kloppy at Liverpool, but Spurs are also keen after this showing in the U-21 games.  Sadly the AGM was a waste of time - full of platitudes and no one prepared to take responsibility for last season's poor decisions. Let's hope the new coach will sort out the rubbish he has inherited and clear the decks for the young obvious talent that is still there (until some one comes for Leon!) At possibly 17.5m for Max it's the bargain of the close season!

1 hour ago, SchalkeUK said:

Possible signing of replacement for Max - I did say some time ago that young Max will leave this summer - after the crap he endured last season it is no surprise. My hope is that he will join up with Kloppy at Liverpool, but Spurs are also keen after this showing in the U-21 games.  Sadly the AGM was a waste of time - full of platitudes and no one prepared to take responsibility for last season's poor decisions. Let's hope the new coach will sort out the rubbish he has inherited and clear the decks for the young obvious talent that is still there (until some one comes for Leon!) At possibly 17.5m for Max it's the bargain of the close season!

Hello Alan,

a move to the Premier League would be a bad choice in my opinion. Yes, the players around him and his former coaches were not ideal for his development, but the main reason why Max hasn't made it yet and will probably never make it, is his lack of athleticism. He's neither very strong, nor fast. Neither the Bundesliga, nor the Premier League are well suited for a player like him. He should try clubs like Sevilla, AS Roma or Napoli.

There are examples which disprove that idea - that was one of the reasons why Schalke were so bad last season - Max was subbed as the easiest option as the coach was scared to upset the others.  Look at Brazil - the final - who was still running and scored at the end to give the BL boys a chance - and in that heat!  He is small and rarely lays down after some of the tackles he takes - he misses fewer games than most other mid-fielders (his proper position) and , as a kid, what he lost in size he made up for with his running and finding space all the time to be available.  Not his problem that players like Choupo -M have no vision to see that!  Last night's approach to the penalty sums up his game - it was the most clinical and exact spot kick in such pressure we have seen for a while - Max is ready for someone who will let him play his natural game - his link-up play with Leroy and Leon has seriously to be watched at times and that corner which gave Germany the goal in the earlier match was a 'Beckham-like' piece of accuracy not often seen!  As a kid he looked like a young David and given a proper role he can do it!  My wish would be to go to Madrid and play alongside Modric to learn from him like Mesut learned from Diego at Bremen - other than that the care and attention he would get from Kloppy would make him as sought after as any player around.  He has  great future - but sadly it looks like being away from Gelsenkirchen! - One final point - I am old enough to remember a little guy named Alan Ball - try and find another wrinkly who will tell you about him and then think of Max!

Was away in Spain and missed Eid with my local friends here, but another party tonight will make up for that!  Bring on the Coke and Sprite!

Be Nice!

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I know it was against and lower side, but the first pre-season match saw a 9-1 win for S04.  Great to see Uchida back in action and his two goals were a nice start after all the injury problems. Our new American guy, Haji Wright got 4 and also joins the three of us with a b-day on 27 March, Manu, Arsuto and moi. With Amin Harit joining us from Nantes it is becoming interesting - maybe plans are afoot to cover space left if both Leon and Max depart.  With Embolo now fit again it will be inter4esting to see the line up which will develop in China later, but this weekend  we have a short trip down the road to Paderborn so we will see what happens.  New boss Domenico Tedesco seems to be paying things calm and has already have great comments from players about his training sessions.  With the warm weather, the warm feelings around Gelesenkirchen seem to be returning.  Anybody want to join me in berlin at the beginning of August?

If you are thinking of banning the English posters on kristo's perhaps I can stay on here.  Anyway after 20 minutes we are 1-0 up in Paderborn and great to see a big crowd there for a friendly match.  Konoplyanka seems on form again already and great to see Uchida running and tackling well.

Ah well - back to the game!

• Upvote 1

half-time and only 0-1.  The 04 defence is a total shambles - Naldo is the only one seems to be trying - and the attack is nowhere as we do not appear to anyone in mid-field with any idea what to do.  Good job this is a pre-season friendly - against BVB or Bayern we would have been 6-1 down at least, and Paderborn are looking far and away the better side.  I trust there will be changes at half time although we knew in advance that the German International boys were not going to play today!  Decent coverage from WDR and in HD too! Free to air on Astra 19E for those looking for it in the UK

Lot of changes after 10 minutes and Harit is one of them - already showing a different approach and more attacking in the next 5 minutes than the whole of the first half.  Wright is also looking dangerous and with service from Geis things are looking better!

0-1 at the end and one or two positive things from this game - basically a poor performance, but with Kolasinac having gone to arsenal we are short of a left back - or we were!  Uchida has played most - if not all - of his games for 04 on the right, but this was a class, solid performance at left back and may well solve the problem. Bentaleb was poor - again - but Hamit and Wright look good on this performance and deserve to be with Goretzka and Meyer and then we might see some chances being created and finished off.  Not a game for too many positive decisions, but something for the new coach to consider and at least it proved that one or two of last season's failures are still not good enough for BL1

'I find Schalke's summer transfers very weird. You have given out almost 50 million Euro so far, but your squad still looks mediocre'

Well, my little Werder friend, you seem to be saying what we say every year and I always try and hold on until at least October before putting it into print.  I am prepared to accept that the new man knows what he is doing, but to bring in such new players and continue with Choupo-Moting and di Santo and others will prove his efforts to be wasted.  He has to get tough and let the young players and the new men have a decent chance.  Leon might still be here for part of the season and I hope Max will still be around, but treating like they were treated last season will guarantee that they depart as soon as possible.  The are others like Platte and Reese who will go the same way if they are not treated fairly and the usual habit of ruining their confidence will have its usual effect.  as for mediocre - yes if you leave it as it is, but to clear out the garbage will make it look much more of a group to be reckoned with.  To-day's game showed where part of the problem lies and the trip to China could be vital in this season's future decisions.  I am sure that Inter Milan and Besiktas will not be travelling for fun so bring it on!!!

• Upvote 2

3-2 at the end - Hemmerich and Konoplyhanka with second half goals, but changes in defence and 2 silly goals given away towards the and made it much closer than it was.

Uchida was solid again in the first half and when he went of there seemed to be last week's problems with no ideas of organisation which gave away the goals.  the defence needs sorting, but nice to see Embolo return for a few minutes.

Like Nudge, I watch Bayern with a different perspective to those who support the Club, but what has made it easier in the past few years has been the respect which Philip Lahm generated by his whole approach to the game and his leadership - not only of Bayern, but of the German International Team.  He will be hard to replace, but having known PM since he was a kid, his honesty and integrity has never been in question and for me he is a natural to follow Herr Lahm.