talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Schalke 04 Thread - Komm' auch du zum S04!

On 19.7.2017 at 5:39 PM, SchalkeUK said:

Like Nudge, I watch Bayern with a different perspective to those who support the Club, but what has made it easier in the past few years has been the respect which Philip Lahm generated by his whole approach to the game and his leadership - not only of Bayern, but of the German International Team.  He will be hard to replace, but having known PM since he was a kid, his honesty and integrity has never been in question and for me he is a natural to follow Herr Lahm.

PM?

• 2 weeks later...

Another weird move - we have a rather poor back line with weakness not only in the present first choice, but not much behind them in the way of quality - so we let Atsuto Uchida go to Hertha Berlin.  He is in my team for the BL comp. but he was left out on Saturday.  At least now I can start picking up points as he will almost certainly be treated better in Berlin.  Both he and Embolo are fit but not yet played - so Di Santo must have some form of hold over the coach - or nepotism!  He was dreadful (again) on Saturday.  Ten days for max to find a side that will appreciate his abilities - it's not going to happen in Gelsenkirchen if Saturday is anything to go by.

On 8/15/2017 at 10:53 AM, SchalkeUK said:

Sorry Olive - Weston was subbed later than he should have been last night - he was awful.....

Was watching the game, and to be honest the whole side kinda laid off a bit later.  He's still very young.  All I ask is he does nothing stupid to cost the team points at point.  I'll hold judgement until March or so.

Uchi to Bremen and it looks as if Benny is likely to join Juventus soon.  If Naldo gets injured and with Kolasinac at Arsenal, how many goals will we concede this season?

Answers on a postcard to anywhere!  Oh and first game back home and the Hunter is off again!  With Lallana wearing a leg brace, Max should be talking to Kloppy.  At least he might have a chance of getting a game there!

• 3 weeks later...

It would be nice if, after the result on Tuesday, we could say that we were back to square one.  Sadly, we are well below that again.  The 04 website is full of complacency and an unwillingness to accept that bad decision were again made before the game with team selection.  Goretzka ran his heart out for nothing and Bentaleb was back in the team and taking over from Choupo-Moting in the idle lack of effort stakes which we had hoped had gone.  He was awful and walked about without any purpose. Burgstellar spent more time in the defence and lost his idea that he was a striker - and when he decided to go up front he was so far up front that there were no Munchkins between him and the keeper and he seems unable to look in a straight line across the field.  In the strike department we were not only lacking, but only Leon was providing any support to whoever was in the penalty area and most of the time that was no one. Di Santo was again totally inept when he came on and was only slightly worse that Konoplyanka - who cannot  even pass a ball with any accuracy.  If Embolo is fit why is our potentially best striker sat on the side? Why is the International youngster with the best support game in the team being ignored?  I know it was only a friendly, but in his last full game, Meyer scored 4 goals.....  Senior players have cost recent coaches their jobs and this is happening again!  If there is a plan they should implement it rather than just walking about aimlessly.  Take off Harit who started the season with brilliance and has gone backwards with lack of confidence being displayed in him from the sidelines.  Anyway, as always, the cowards sub the kids - it's easier than argue with the old folks!  We were awful against Bremen, but they were even worse so we won, but that after losing to a newly promoted side from BL2.  Another defeat at Hoffenheim this week and perhaps someone will start asking these questions! Any bets on Leon and Max leaving this year for nothing - meanwhile Leroy is scoring in every game, Sinead is the best Arsenal defender and with PSG talking about letting Julien go, there are PL teams lining up to buy- Oh and Benny is sitting in the sun in Italy - even Aogo is having a good time in Stuttgart!. Would be interesting to see if there were any bids for Bentaleb, Konoplyanka or Di Santo!  Perhaps I'm getting too old for this or maybe we needs some more experience at the Veltins - not on the pitch but someone with a proven record on the side.  Once the season determines no Europe for next year we will have another change!  Criticise my comments, but anyone else keeping track of out record of coaches and managers over the past few seasons - careful, if you do you will probably be smiling for a month!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beware of the response to Friday's game.  A win against a poor Mainz team will get the blood rushing to heads in Gelsenkirchen that we have a decent team again, particularly if we are still persisting with Di Santo up front and the fragile defence at the back.  I would love to be wrong, but this season is playing out just like last year and the year before that - too many old wasters keeping out the kids and taking our finances for a ride and a coach who is out of his depth!

Now sometime later and the game over we had Di Santo who touched the ball 3 times - twice lost it and the third time as a good striker made a header in his own penalty area to give away a corner!  Nice one and sadly he was substituted early in the second half only to be replaced by Konoplyanke who proceeded to tray and kill the fans at the back of the stand with his pointless efforts to find the net - or even the posts or even the corner flag. Leon was his usual good self and Max got 90 minutes - trouble is he is one of the best 'dead ball' players with remarkable accuracy from free kicks and corners and he took none!  All corners went directly to the first defender and free kicks were not much better. Sad the lady ref seems never to have played the game and Naldo's card was pathetic as was the flurry of yellow towards the end of the game when she totally lost the plot.  My only error was to forecast a 3-0 victory - should have realised that with Leon and Burgstaller getting their usual goals there was no one else to get the third! My Fantasy team is not doing too badly, but I lose a player each week - BVB seem not to want to put Shinji and Nuri on the park at the same time and that's not fair!  Probably going to get badly bitten by the Wolves next week!

Edited by SchalkeUK
Match over

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Leon seems to have had a good session with the guy from Barca so his future may be a little clearer.  Either there or Arsenal if he has to go and let's hope the d eal will be money and/or a swap.  It would be great to get either Mesut or Ivan back home as part of any deal!

• 1 month later...

First signing of the transfer period for 04 brings Cedric Teichert from Nurnberg to Gelsenkirchen for an undisclosed fee.  the young striker has been impressive this season withy Nurnberg and will join the squad in Benidorm on Wednesday and, hopefully, will get a chance to wear the shirt in the friendly against Genk before the Benidorm sessions are over on Sunday.  Leon is still holding on for a change to Bayern, but 04 are trying to tempt him to sign a new contract before a final decision is made.  Sunday's game is being carried on Sky Sports News de which is free-to-air on firstonetv.

Edited by SchalkeUK

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

First signing of the transfer period for 04 brings Cedric Teichert from Nurnberg to Gelsenkirchen for an undisclosed fee.  the young striker has been impressive this season withy Nurnberg and will join the squad in Benidorm on Wednesday and, hopefully, will get a chance to wear the shirt in the friendly against Genk before the Benidorm sessions are over on Sunday.  Leon is still holding on for a change to Bayern, but 04 are trying to tempt him to sign a new contract before a final decision is made.  Sunday's game is being carried on Sky Sports News de which is free-to-air on firstonetv.

Baumann was apparently interested in signing him for Werder, we offered him more playing time, you offered more money, Teuchert decided in favour of Schalke...

That said, what's going on with Avdijaj? Enough talent, but completely messed up in the head?

Edited by nudge

Donis is somewhat out of the picture at present.  Not sure if his head is sorted and his love of yellow cards has been controlled, but his possibilities on the field have always been great.  If you are seriously interested I will ask my folks in Gelsenkirchen what he is up to but he is not in Benidorm with the squad at the moment and they have taken a fw kids from the Academy with them - Patryk Dragon, Lennart Czyborra, Jannis Kübler and Florian Krüger have joined them but no Donis!

Leon is having individual training sessions at the moment to try and get fit after his recent injury.  The management  have offered him an improved contract which will make him the highest paid player if he stays, but he seems to have set his mind on Bayern - despite Spain still showing interest.  He is also somewhat still upset by what has happened recently at 04 and seems determined not to go with a large fee being paid to the club and will stay until June to make sure he is free.  It is very messy (not Messi) at the moment!

• Upvote 1

Another one!  Croatia winger Marko Pjaca has joined Schalke 04 on loan from Juventus for the rest of the season.  After an injury left him out of the side for a while he is now getting back to form and will add to the options on either wing with Konoplyanka and Schopf are still trying to regain accuracy and there has been lack of good service to the front men from the wide players.

I've not seen much of him, but message from Ivan in Barca says he is a real prospect having played with him in the Croatian national team where he got his injury.

Sad to see Atsuto finally leave Germany for his home in Japan.  His injury cost us and he was probably one of our best 3 or 4 defenders in past seasons. That, and the fact that he shares the same birthday as Manuel and me makes him a bit special (to us that is).  Sayonara:bye:

Edited by SchalkeUK

• 2 weeks later...

Info for nudge  if you have not alreay seen it this is a quote from the Schalke press guys:Donis Avdijaj will get game time in the Eredivisie for the remainder of the season as the 21-year-old joins Roda JC Kerkade on loan for the remainder of the 2017/2018 season. 

Leon will continue with us until the end of the season and has agreed that Bayern will be his next home!  He has asked fans to help him get the team into the Champions League next season and to try and win the Pokal - so no aggro about his decision. He has played with Joshua many times and my own thoughts are for a reunion with Bayern's best young player!