talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Favourite Historical Side

football forum

Can be due to the type of players, the system, the achievements, or anything . Obviously, trying to exclude club sympathies. 

For me it's Van Gaal's Ajax, featuring wonderkids like Seedorf, Overmars, and Van der Sar, players just entering their prime like the De Boers and Litmanen, and backed up by seasoned legends like Rijkaard and Blind.

Not content with just having one of the most outrageously talented squads ever, he also decided to implement an extremely aggressive 3-4-3 diamond in which the central defender somehow ended up running in behind to lay it off for the left winger.

ajax-95-old.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peru of 1975-1978. As Spike said I haven't really seen them to appreciate them in their fullest but just flying this flag around with pride is enough to put them as my favourite.

I think I most would have liked to see the Holland team in world cup 1974 and the original Michels/Cruyff Ajax side of the same era. Just to be a fly on the wall and be able to appreciate their football revolution as it happened.

6 hours ago, Spike said:

I don't really know how to comment on a team that I wasn't alive to witness. Sure I can appreciate them in retrospecitve but not in zeitgeist.

I guess it's as much about getting a mental snapshot of what they were like and what they meant for the game.

Plus there are clips and highlights out there even for really old sides. That Ajax side is also in the unique position where all of its younger players actually were young enough to be seen by me, though playing for other teams. 

If it was favourite side we ever saw play regularly Id echo @Devil-Dick Willie and say Heynckes/early Guardiola Bayern. Because they were just pants-shittingly good and had essentially no weakness. They could crush Barca physically and tactically, and everyone else they could pass to death.

10 hours ago, Inverted said:

Can be due to the type of players, the system, the achievements, or anything . Obviously, trying to exclude club sympathies. 

For me it's Van Gaal's Ajax, featuring wonderkids like Seedorf, Overmars, and Van der Sar, players just entering their prime like the De Boers and Litmanen, and backed up by seasoned legends like Rijkaard and Blind.

Not content with just having one of the most outrageously talented squads ever, he also decided to implement an extremely aggressive 3-4-3 diamond in which the central defender somehow ended up running in behind to lay it off for the left winger.

ajax-95-old.jpg

It was a 4 3 3 but when Ajax attacked a defender that would be Rijkaard in that team, would move in to midfield to create more opportunities for passes and attacking plays, creating the 3 4 3, it is an amazing tactic but rarely seen in today's football. Cruyff actually made a tactical video educating people on Dutch tv about this formation for the Dutch national team as he used it himself at Barcelona.

• 2 months later...

Ultimate soft spot for me has to be the Brazil 2002 World Cup side.

That 3 pronged attack was deadly, arguably the best we have seen IMO.

The original Ronaldo up front. Supported by Rivaldo and Ronaldinho. What a front 3.

Not only that, you had Roberto Carlos and Cafu bombing forward on the wing in support.

Goals, goals, goals. Pure scintillating to watch.

Archived