talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Vincent Kompany Steps Down as Anderlecht Player/Manager

football forum

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the right decision, goes out on a massive high. As good as he can be, he has looked a bit uncomfortable with Guardiola's desire for defenders to be auxiliary midfielders, and as he gets older he will get less game time. If Aston Villa come up I could see him going there, big club where he is likely to play a lot.

I would be desperate to keep him involved with the City Football Group, or whatever it is that they call themselves, especially post-his football career, so I’d try and dangle a massive financial carrot in front of him, if it’s feasible, to get him to sign for NYCFC and for him to do some additional ambassadorial stuff.

Really wish he'd gone last season as I'm almost certain we'd have won the title. If they didn't have his iron leadership I wouldn't have backed then to hold their nerve and win the last 14.

However if he's leaving because they're bringing in De Ligt then god help us.

• Administrator

One of the best defenders this league has seen. Won it all domestically and has been a rock at the back for City. 

Not only a great footballer but actually a very decent person anyway. City will miss his presence in general I feel but when you have Stones and Laporte and perhaps other defenders they'll but, perhaps they won't miss him on the pitch for too long... 

• The title was changed to Vincent Kompany Leaves Man City; Now Player-Manager at Anderlecht
2 hours ago, Stan said:

One of the best defenders this league has seen. Won it all domestically and has been a rock at the back for City. 

Not only a great footballer but actually a very decent person anyway. City will miss his presence in general I feel but when you have Stones and Laporte and perhaps other defenders they'll but, perhaps they won't miss him on the pitch for too long... 

Who fills the leadership void though mate? The mean that wears the armband and steadies the nerves of his teammates...?

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Player-Manager’s rarely work but I hope it does for Kompany. 

I thought they only happened by accident when the manager leaves unexpectedly and there is none to take his place...

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Who fills the leadership void though mate? The mean that wears the armband and steadies the nerves of his teammates...?

Often these days there's a team of captains/leaders. Or I think there should be, anyway. 

And a team like Man City prepares for the eventuality that Kompany would be leaving. David Silva is their vice captain so perhaps he takes over. Then there are players like Aguero or Fernandinho who have been there a while and could take the armband. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Often these days there's a team of captains/leaders. Or I think there should be, anyway. 

And a team like Man City prepares for the eventuality that Kompany would be leaving. David Silva is their vice captain so perhaps he takes over. Then there are players like Aguero or Fernandinho who have been there a while and could take the armband. 

If that's what they do I'm happy.

Replace a great defender and leader with only a great defender.

It gives me confidence that we can run them close next year

1 hour ago, Harry said:

If that's what they do I'm happy.

Replace a great defender and leader with only a great defender.

It gives me confidence that we can run them close next year

I think you overestimate the important of a single leader or captain in a football team/squad. Kompany has actually looked a bit suspect at times defensively and I doubt they'll miss him at all on the pitch. Off it, yes, he's a cool, measured man who is always good to have around but with them now being seasoned champions they're not suddenly going to drop off. 

6 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I think you overestimate the important of a single leader or captain in a football team/squad. Kompany has actually looked a bit suspect at times defensively and I doubt they'll miss him at all on the pitch. Off it, yes, he's a cool, measured man who is always good to have around but with them now being seasoned champions they're not suddenly going to drop off. 

I'm not so sure mate. The entire culture and ethos of a team on the pitch can come from one player.

Carlos Puyol, Sergio Ramos, Gerrard, Terry. Great leaders. The contribution of these players was partly the effect they had on their entire team. Kompany was in that category imo.

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

Sad end to the season, arrived before the money and became the best CB in Man City's history even though he was signed as a DMF   ... one of the top CB's in the world will replace him ;)

Not sure Stones or Otamendi are quite on that level mate...

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.060dc164a00ce2f6e1a1f71e546db07e.png

NOT IN-VIN-CIBLE 

Vincent Kompany accused of ‘thinking he is God’ after a horror start to life as Anderlecht manager

Vincent Kompany’s triumphant homecoming to Anderlecht as player/manager has turned sour already.

The Manchester City legend did not sign a new contract at the Etihad in the summer in order to pursue a return to his native Belgium.

Despite his glistening trophy haul for his 11-year stay in Manchester, the 33-year-old has led the biggest club in the Jupiler Pro League to just two points from the opening four games of the season.

The Brussels side lost 4-2 at lowly Kortrijk on Saturday, with Kompany accepting blame for all four goals.

And the centre-half has also come under intense scrutiny from pundits in his home country.

Ex-Anderlecht, Belgium and Sheffield Wednesday striker Marc Degryse snapped: “Kompany is only human, besides being a good footballer – but I feel he thinks he is God.

“In the coming international break, a coach would normally have two weeks to work intensively with his squad.

“But Kompany will be off with Belgium to play San Marino and Scotland – before having his testimonial game in Manchester.

“Some people like to be busy, but they can become too preoccupied.

“Kompany should think about this. There are limits to everything.

“If another centre-back had made the mistakes he made he’d have been criticised – and Kompany would have dropped him for the next game.

“Of course Kompany shouldn’t retire from playing – but he has to make sure something like this doesn’t happen again.

“If he is honest as a manager he can’t be happy with himself as a player.”

https://talksport.com/football/590157/vincent-kompany-god-anderlecht-manager-record-table/

2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.060dc164a00ce2f6e1a1f71e546db07e.png

NOT IN-VIN-CIBLE 

Vincent Kompany accused of ‘thinking he is God’ after a horror start to life as Anderlecht manager

Vincent Kompany’s triumphant homecoming to Anderlecht as player/manager has turned sour already.

The Manchester City legend did not sign a new contract at the Etihad in the summer in order to pursue a return to his native Belgium.

Despite his glistening trophy haul for his 11-year stay in Manchester, the 33-year-old has led the biggest club in the Jupiler Pro League to just two points from the opening four games of the season.

The Brussels side lost 4-2 at lowly Kortrijk on Saturday, with Kompany accepting blame for all four goals.

And the centre-half has also come under intense scrutiny from pundits in his home country.

Ex-Anderlecht, Belgium and Sheffield Wednesday striker Marc Degryse snapped: “Kompany is only human, besides being a good footballer – but I feel he thinks he is God.

“In the coming international break, a coach would normally have two weeks to work intensively with his squad.

“But Kompany will be off with Belgium to play San Marino and Scotland – before having his testimonial game in Manchester.

“Some people like to be busy, but they can become too preoccupied.

“Kompany should think about this. There are limits to everything.

“If another centre-back had made the mistakes he made he’d have been criticised – and Kompany would have dropped him for the next game.

“Of course Kompany shouldn’t retire from playing – but he has to make sure something like this doesn’t happen again.

“If he is honest as a manager he can’t be happy with himself as a player.”

https://talksport.com/football/590157/vincent-kompany-god-anderlecht-manager-record-table/

Why Kompany was offered such a job at a club like Anderlecht is beyond me. It is an absolutely ridiculous move for such a club. What basis is there for such a signing.

What a waste of money!

• The title was changed to Vincent Kompany Steps Down as Anderlecht Player/Manager
  • Subscriber

A couple of days old before the sacking.

Quote.thumb.png.7f0d951e6cf010651e50410cd8679132.png

Vincent Kompany accused of trying to copy Pep Guardiola as Anderlecht boss

Vincent Kompany took over as player-manager at Anderlecht this summer after leaving Man City but is yet to win

Vincent Kompany has been slammed for trying to copy Pep Guardiola after failing to win his first four matches as player-manager of Anderlecht.

The famous Belgian, 33, left Manchester City at the end of last season to return to his first club.

But the City legend's coaching career has got off to a nightmare start – and he sent his players out to apologise to fans after their 4-2 weekend defeat at Kortrijk.

And former Anderlecht and Ajax coach Aad de Mos claimed Kompany is failing because he is trying to play Guardiola-style football with inferior players.

"In football, you do not have to copy another coach,” insisted the Dutchman. “Kompany wants to do the same thing as Guardiola in City and that makes me sick.

"City have players like Sergio Aguero and Kevin De Bruyne - Anderlecht needs to get by with more modest players. Guardiola has Aymeric Laporte, Ilkay Gundogan or Raheem Sterling - Kompany does not have them in Anderlecht.”

The Belgium defender was out of position for three goals against Kortrijk and De Mos, 72, added: “He should have been forbidden to do both jobs. It is ridiculous. Vincent is intelligent – he thinks during a match. It is normal that it affects him as a player when his team is not playing well.

"Former Dinamo Kiev coach Valeri Lobanovsky taught me one thing: as a coach, you have to forget his past as a player - all the great coaches started at the bottom of the ladder, like Cocu et Van Bommel.

FULL REPORT

Archived