talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Romelu Lukaku - Signs For Inter

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 24/05/2019 at 14:36, Cicero said:

Can only see this coming to fruition if Icardi leaves. Icardi and Martinez are both superior players to Lukaku so it's baffling why they are after him. 

Because Icardi HAS to be gone, he is despised by the fans and his wife is more hassle than what he's worth. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Because Icardi HAS to be gone, he is despised by the fans and his wife is more hassle than what he's worth. 

Where? Real? PSG?

Can't see the former given Zidane won't risk all that baggage. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Where? Real? PSG?

Can't see the former given Zidane won't risk all that baggage. 

I heard reports of Juvenuts, Real, and Barcelona. 

If Chelsea weren't on a ban, then I would expect to hear rumors of him going there since Sarri has always spoken so highly of him. 

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

I heard reports of Juvenuts, Real, and Barcelona. 

If Chelsea weren't on a ban, then I would expect to hear rumors of him going there since Sarri has always spoken so highly of him. 

uqTjbTS.gif

I find it astounding the positive press Lukaku gets. Not even in his best moments did I get it and my past posts are there to be seen. He has his moments but isn't top class at all for me. Players like him going for big money and speculation is part pf the problem.

Conte won't confirm Icardi

Antonio Conte has refused to confirm that Mauro Icardi will have a future with Inter, while stating ‘we have a plan’ amidst Romelu Lukaku speculation.

Conte was appointed Inter’s new Coach on Friday, and he emphasised the Nerazzurri had ‘the same ambitions as me’.

“We’re talking about a top club with a great history, who at this moment have the same ambitions as me, to win, to try to build something important for this club, and for this reason I decided to come to Inter,” he told BBC World Service.

“I think this is a new challenge for me, a new chapter in my life and for sure in my past I was Juventus Coach and won titles with them.

“I want to do the same now, the history of this club is important and we must have great respect for this and bring the team to the same level as in the past.”

The 49-year-old is believed to be keen on replacing Icardi with Lukaku, whose future seems increasingly distant from Manchester United...

“I think now it’s very difficult to talk about this,” he replied.

“For sure we have a plan and we’ll try to improve the team, but it’s also very important to have a great will and great ambition.

“It’s not true [Inter met Lukaku] but I repeat at this moment, there’s a sporting director to talk about this and answer questions about the transfer market.

“Now we’re very focused to take the first step and start working together. Every situation we’ll see, and we’ll make the best decision with the club.

“We have to work very hard together to make the best decision for the club because the club is the most important thing, in the present and in the future.”

So has he got around to meeting the Argentine yet?

“No, no, absolutely not. I’ve only just started to breathe the Inter atmosphere. I now have to go with my hands and feet into this new challenge.”

The 49-year-old was then asked about his time at Chelsea, where he won a Premier League and FA Cup, as well as the best player he coached at Stamford Bridge.

“I’m delighted about my time at Chelsea. When I arrived, they were out of the Champions League and finished 10th in the table.

“I opened a new chapter for Chelsea, with many young players. At the same time I won the Premier League and reached the FA Cup Final in my first season, and then in the second we won the FA Cup.

“To win in England now is very difficult, but I won and that’s the most important thing.

“We had many good players, but for sure if I have to pick one player then I have to say Kante.

“We’re talking about a special player because he always has a smile on his face, he’s a fantastic player and I wish him all the best.”

Finally, he passed judgment on Saturday’s Champions League Final between Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur.

“I see a very balanced game, two strong teams in Liverpool and Tottenham. My expectation is an exciting game, with two good teams who play with high intensity.”

Lukaku's a good player, but he's not in himself an elite player. As a focal point he can elevate a decent side because he can rack up goals reliably from all types of service when a team looks to him as the key player. 

He can play for a better team like Belgium, using his movement and intelligence to make space for others, but he isn't in himself good enough to be the focal point of a top side. He's just not technically good enough to be the focal point for a technically elite team. 

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I find it astounding the positive press Lukaku gets. Not even in his best moments did I get it and my past posts are there to be seen. He has his moments but isn't top class at all for me. Players like him going for big money and speculation is part pf the problem.

That's a bit unfair for me. He's hit double figures in all of his full seasons in the Premier League, and the two seasons before he left Everton he scored 18 then 25 league goals. A lot is made of him only scoring against shit teams which is a fait criticism to an extent, but those numbers in an upper mid table side are still impressive.

United has ruined him though. Whether it's his own choice, Mourinho or the influence of sponsors and agents even(?) hes put on far too much weight which has cost him his main strength as a strong but agile centre forward and he does too much bullshit off the pitch which makes me think he's no longer interested in furthering his football ability now that he's made it to an elite club.

With good management and direction he could have become a real top striker but now I don't know whether he'll ever be able to get that fitness and confidence back that made him so formidable before he went there.

25 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That's a bit unfair for me. He's hit double figures in all of his full seasons in the Premier League, and the two seasons before he left Everton he scored 18 then 25 league goals. A lot is made of him only scoring against shit teams which is a fait criticism to an extent, but those numbers in an upper mid table side are still impressive.

United has ruined him though. Whether it's his own choice, Mourinho or the influence of sponsors and agents even(?) hes put on far too much weight which has cost him his main strength as a strong but agile centre forward and he does too much bullshit off the pitch which makes me think he's no longer interested in furthering his football ability now that he's made it to an elite club.

With good management and direction he could have become a real top striker but now I don't know whether he'll ever be able to get that fitness and confidence back that made him so formidable before he went there.

I've just never seen anything different in him from your average decent striker. He benefited from his natural physical strength but I never thought there was natural talent there.

45 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I've just never seen anything different in him from your average decent striker. He benefited from his natural physical strength but I never thought there was natural talent there.

If you are able to use your body, which is naturally bigger than most defenders, to score goals, then that is a talent unto itself. I would say Peter Crouch had a very successful career being able to use his body to his advantage. 

• Administrator

Can see Icardi perhaps going to Atletico now that Griezmann and perhaps Costa will be leaving. Think he'd do quite well there, too.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Can see Icardi perhaps going to Atletico now that Griezmann and perhaps Costa will be leaving. Think he'd do quite well there, too.

Would MUCH prefer this over him going to Juventus. Just get his ass outta Italy. 

• Subscriber
Just now, CaaC - John said:

Inter Milan want Belgium striker Romelu Lukaku but Manchester United have valued the 26-year-old at £62m.  (Sportmediaset - in Italian)

Looks like Lukaku is staying at United. I doubt Inter will touch him at that cost. I also think its an unsafe investment considering how he just manages to go missing at times with his forward play. When he is in the mood, however, he can be a handful and if Inter are so interested in a point man I don't see why they don't go over to Portugal and try to get Marega who will undoubtedly go for much less and is a proven problem-maker for defenses. There is a good striker in there I think.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Looks like Lukaku is staying at United. I doubt Inter will touch him at that cost. I also think its an unsafe investment considering how he just manages to go missing at times with his forward play. When he is in the mood, however, he can be a handful and if Inter are so interested in a point man I don't see why they don't go over to Portugal and try to get Marega who will undoubtedly go for much less and is a proven problem-maker for defenses. There is a good striker in there I think.

Also, the Sun says...

Lukaku's move to Inter is under threat - because the club are struggling to raise £40m to meet financial fair play rules.  (Sun)

15 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think there is a massive problem surrounding genuine traditional strikers (in terms of a 9) in world football at the moment. There are a number of powerful clubs canvasing the foobtall planet in need of someone that offers guarantees in terms of prolific scoring and the truth is there aren't many. There are players that score a lot of goals that play in forward positions like Mbappé, Griezmann or even Neymar for example, but they are extremely expensive and also you'd think that their destination if they're to leave their current clubs would be to the biggest and most probable of success.

Inter have a big problem if they lose Icardi.

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I think there is a massive problem surrounding genuine traditional strikers (in terms of a 9) in world football at the moment. There are a number of powerful clubs canvasing the foobtall planet in need of someone that offers guarantees in terms of prolific scoring and the truth is there aren't many. There are players that score a lot of goals that play in forward positions like Mbappé, Griezmann or even Neymar for example, but they are extremely expensive and also you'd think that their destination if they're to leave their current clubs would be to the biggest and most probable of success.

Inter have a big problem if they lose Icardi.

This is true as the traditional 9 is no longer the type of player that most clubs want to fit into their philosophy or style of play. Its more of a utility-style approach where the player has to be able to drop into the top of the midfield and shoulder other responsibilities like defending and the high-press in some cases but that doesn't mean its a position that cant be used effectively if a player is like that. I think Icardi dug his own grave with his behavior and how hes conducted himself as well. They may suffer for it but adopting a different system of play isn't going to hurt them in the longer run and just open up the possibilities of getting more players to play those positions considering how the market is for them now. I doubt they'll go chasing an elite level player for the same reason you mentioned, there isn't a true elite class player that does that anymore but I still think Lukaku isn't that player and is never going to be either.

7 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

This is true as the traditional 9 is no longer the type of player that most clubs want to fit into their philosophy or style of play. Its more of a utility-style approach where the player has to be able to drop into the top of the midfield and shoulder other responsibilities like defending and the high-press in some cases but that doesn't mean its a position that cant be used effectively if a player is like that. I think Icardi dug his own grave with his behavior and how hes conducted himself as well. They may suffer for it but adopting a different system of play isn't going to hurt them in the longer run and just open up the possibilities of getting more players to play those positions considering how the market is for them now. I doubt they'll go chasing an elite level player for the same reason you mentioned, there isn't a true elite class player that does that anymore but I still think Lukaku isn't that player and is never going to be either.

Italian football still suffers to a large extent on the reliance of a traditional 9 from club football to the national team. It guarantees a concentration on a defensive style with only one player dedicated to waiting up front. Only Napoli under Sarri has been willing to change that because even though Juve has the players available to play the more modern approach, they tend to use Mandžukić a hell of a lot, more times than not. I don't see Inter changing any time soon unless they sign a progressive coach.

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Italian football still suffers to a large extent on the reliance of a traditional 9 from club football to the national team. It guarantees a concentration on a defensive style with only one player dedicated to waiting up front. Only Napoli under Sarri has been willing to change that because even though Juve has the players available to play the more modern approach, they tend to use Mandžukić a hell of a lot, more times than not. I don't see Inter changing any time soon unless they sign a progressive coach.

I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with that system and it does have benefits when teams want to play more direct and dont want to rely on possession. This is something we see a lot of managers do right around the middle of the second half of games. I also think it has merit in systems where the midfield is extremely strong and plays to a more traditional diamond with the top of the diamond being a truly proficient AMF who can supplement an attacker like a second-striker. I can't think of any elite team right now that plays that way and its mostly because of the way football has evolved. Somewhere over the last decade possession has trumped effectiveness as a fix for not getting enough goals or being threatening enough and it works so more teams adopt it. I'd love to see the old system come back again as I quite enjoy watching a single striker play up front but for now the call of the day is to have a front-unit that interchanges responsibilities with a midfield that can back it up allowing wingers to become more important than strikers. Most big clubs adopt this to afford more tactical options and if you get the right personnel it becomes highly effective. 

Just found this article by searching on Traditional Number 9s and it talks about how you need to have two strikers to play that traditional role now and even then its still not a true 9.

https://thecomeback.com/soccer/what-happened-to-the-classic-number-9-striker.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

757343399_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.154166e77bde9ccacc1a1eddfb074c10.png

Romelu Lukaku 'has to leave' Man Utd - Roberto Martinez

Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku "has to leave" the Premier League club, says Belgium manager Roberto Martinez.

Lukaku, 26, joined United from Everton for £75m in July 2017 and has scored 42 goals in 96 games at Old Trafford.

Belgium's record scorer has been linked with a move this summer after falling down the pecking order under United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

"It is now important that Romelu finds the right club," Martinez told Belgian newspaper  Het Laatste Nieuws. 

"It would be a good thing for both parties."

Martinez, who has managed Lukaku at Everton and now at international level, added: "It is clear that he has to leave Manchester United."

Lukaku, who has been heavily linked with a move to Inter Milan, has a contract at United until 2022.

He scored 15 goals in 45 games last season but Marcus Rashford was often favoured in attack by Solskjaer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48673454

• The title was changed to Romelu Lukaku - Set to Sign For Inter

Archived