talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Malcom - Signs For Zenit St. Petersburg

football forum

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I get where people are going with that argument but Russian football is established and has a big history. Chinese football doesn’t!

Football's been one of the more popular sports in China since the 1900s. Just because their league is a new rebranding of their old league structure (which was another rebranding of an older league structure) and the clubs are all fairly new, it's not like they don't give a shit about football.

A player goes to either China or Russia over a good side in a top league is doing the same thing regardless of their destination. They're chasing money.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Football's been one of the more popular sports in China since the 1900s. Just because their league is a new rebranding of their old league structure (which was another rebranding of an older league structure) and the clubs are all fairly new, it's not like they don't give a shit about football.

A player goes to either China or Russia over a good side in a top league is doing the same thing regardless of their destination. They're chasing money.

I never said they don’t give a shit about football mate. I said they’re nowhere bear or on the same planet as Russian football historically. Qatar take football extremely seriously too. They try really really hard.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I never said they don’t give a shit about football mate. I said they’re nowhere bear or on the same planet as Russian football historically. Qatar take football extremely seriously too. They try really really hard.

Well Russia's got the advantage of having part of their country be in Europe so they get some of the prestige of playing in Europe from time to time.

Their league is still shite and players go there when they want money and don't care about prestige.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well Russia's got the advantage of having part of their country be in Europe so they get some of the prestige of playing in Europe from time to time.

Their league is still shite and players go there when they want money and don't care about prestige.

That’s why I agree with the arguments against going there. Russian football has done stuff at the highest level both club and international.

Zenit is a relatively new invention due to the money in that particular region of Russia.  But there are historic Russian clubs like CSKA Moscow and Spartak Moscow that have made a mark considering what’s around in Europe. Then you have that Ukrainian club Dynamo Kiev which I needn’t say any more. I remember that period. 

Is it any different in going to the Premier League in this day and age? Players leave to double their wages!

Do you think a player leaves Sevilla and goes to Cardiff due to football reasons? Do they choose going to a club like West Ham or Wolves over Valencia for footballing reasons? Not at all, they do it to double their wage.

Half of Spain's best Spanish players are flocking to England. They never did 10 years ago and that's because they couldn't double their money by making such a move then. Let's not fool ourselves.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Is it any different in going to the Premier League in this day and age? Players leave to double their wages!

Do you think a player leaves Sevilla and goes to Cardiff due to football reasons? Do they choose going to a club like West Ham or Wolves over Valencia for footballing reasons? Not at all, they do it to double their wage.

Half of Spain's best Spanish players are flocking to England. They never did 10 years ago and that's because they couldn't double their money by making such a move then. Let's not fool ourselves.

The Premier League is at least equal in challenge and quality to La Liga though. If you have two equal challenges in front of you and one of them pays more money you'll obviously choose that one.

The Russian League isn't comparable to English or Spanish leagues in terms of challenge. This is different taking potentially a bit more money and an easy life over slightly less money to play in a league where you'll actually have to challenge yourself.

Completely different set of choices.

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

The premier league is what Serie A and La Liga were at one point. The best league in Europe with the most money. So players go to Europe because of money and the quality of the league.

Its a bit different to going to Russia and sort of disappearing from most people’s radars.

Archived