talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Hakim Ziyech Signs For Chelsea

18 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

What are you going on about, I never said no club wanted him I merely responded to MadLad as to why he was so 'cheap' and didn't garner any major interest until Chelsea had just picked him up. I'm only saying him turning 27 soon probably turned some clubs off him considering the outlay. 

Once again Mertens cost a 4th of what Ziyech cost, so a much lower risk transfer and why they're not remotely comparable. 

Mertens was cheaper because he only had a year contract left while he was at PSV.      Ziyech had a 40 million buyout in his contract.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

What an outlandish claim. In case you forgot, the market has hugely inflated since 2013. That was the year Gareth Bale went for 100M and shocked the world. Nowadays that is common practice. Literally the only thing you are right on is that Mertens didn't have the pedigree that Ziyech now has. 

25-45M is piss cheap in todays market. Besides my only argument was that Mertens went when he was 27, so age in the Eredivisie for the most part doesn't matter. It's important in less physical leagues but the Netherlands is not one of them.

An outlandish claim! xD

He cost £8m... The market has inflated but Mertens at that time wouldn't cost you anywhere near £35m in todays game. 

13 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Mertens was cheaper because he only had a year contract left while he was at PSV.      Ziyech had a 40 million buyout in his contract.

Fair enough that explains why he was brought at the price he was. 

1 minute ago, Chaaay AFC said:

An outlandish claim! xD

He cost £8m... The market has inflated but Mertens at that time wouldn't cost you anywhere near £35m in todays game. 

Fair enough that explains why he was brought at the price he was. 

My counter to that: Hirving Lozano. Cost 40M and is nowhere near as good as Mertens. Nor at Napoli nor at PSV. So I doubt he would have cost less than 30M.

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

My counter to that: Hirving Lozano. Cost 40M and is nowhere near as good as Mertens. Nor at Napoli nor at PSV. So I doubt he would have cost less than 30M.

Well guess what Brian, Lozano is only 24 and maybe Lozano is proof why not many were interested in Ziyech. The Eredivise is a very hit and miss league, so £35m is a big outlay for a 27 year old who has spent his career there. That was my original point, I'll leave this here now it's pretty pointless going round in circles about it. 

2 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Well guess what Brian, Lozano is only 24 and maybe Lozano is proof why not many were interested in Ziyech. The Eredivise is a very hit and miss league, so £35m is a big outlay for a 27 year old who has spent his career there. That was my original point, I'll leave this here now it's pretty pointless going round in circles about it. 

Lozano being 24 is probably why he cost a lot, but still. Let's not pretend Mertens was some mug at PSV. He would have been cheap but the market has inflated and I doubt he would have cost less than 25M.

35M really isn't a lot for a player who was important in beating Real Madrid and Juventus in 2 legged ties. It's not like he's not proven. I don't think he's worth more than 70M mind. However, 27 isn't that old for me for clubs in top leagues to not consider him. He plays in the Eredivisie which has world class facilities and can also be a physical league in it's own right. I personally do believe that 27 can be too old in other feeder leagues like South American leagues or Belgium. The players there need to leave early I'd say. In the Netherlands? Only if you're at a weaker club. Ajax and PSV play in the CL groups regularly.

• Subscriber

I do think it's a good price and I do think the fact it's such a decent price makes it all the more baffling it's taken until now for anyone to properly go for it. Surprised me Ajax held on as long as they did.

Ziyech is another great bit of business as 10 years ago he would've been sold for under 20 million.  Now Ajax dont really need to sell their players anymore and can hold out to for top money, they have nearly 300 million euros just in the club accounts,  plus Ajax can afford to pay their players a high wage.  PSV on the other hand due to not having Champions League football, they are forced to sell players to just keep the club running, like with Bergwijn.

Ajax are close to signing Boadu and Stengs from AZ Alkmaar, also with Ryan Gravenberch, Ekkelenkamp, Brobby and Unuvar coming through the youth, Ajax still are in a fantastic position to carry on being successful.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived