talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Huawei Saga

football forum

• Subscriber

I know we have a news section that deals with breaking news but this is more to discuss the tech side of it and what's going to happen to anyone or all users who have recently bought Huawei products if the ban isn't reversed? News coming out now says that Microsoft is looking to drop their laptops and ARM has effectively pulled out which is a bigger deal than Google pulling out. Incase you don't know, the link below gives you a brief idea.

https://www.techradar.com/news/googles-huawei-android-restrictions-heres-what-it-means-for-you

I think this is good really in the longer run for international markets but for the US its going to spell a bit more domination of the bigger market players like Samsung and Apple. Huawei is actually used here in India by Bharati for all their wireless devices and they'll continue to do so too. 

I will say one thing, Huawei made a lot of products that were pretty dismal initially but since then they've come leaps and bounds. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I was going to get my partner the P30 Pro, she loved the P20 and compared to her Samsung she has now and the iPhone7, the Huawei pissed all over it. But now, it's basically spending a 1000 euros on a dud! I don't know what sits more uneasily, that Huawei was effectively providing the Chinese government a means of spying on Western countries or that Donald Trump has so much unchecked and unrestrained power that he can kill a company through pressuring the likes of Google. Who, I am certain he has pressured through monetary means (we'll make you pay MORE tax!). There's so much more to this that we may level learn about. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Batard said:

I was going to get my partner the P30 Pro, she loved the P20 and compared to her Samsung she has now and the iPhone7, the Huawei pissed all over it. But now, it's basically spending a 1000 euros on a dud! I don't know what sits more uneasily, that Huawei was effectively providing the Chinese government a means of spying on Western countries or that Donald Trump has so much unchecked and unrestrained power that he can kill a company through pressuring the likes of Google. Who, I am certain he has pressured through monetary means (we'll make you pay MORE tax!). There's so much more to this that we may level learn about. 

I don't think he just pressured Google. Because if ARM (A company founded in Japan and headquartered in the UK) has also pulled out just because they have US-Patents on designs there's something much bigger going on. I partly blame the Chinese in all of this too. If someone said your devices are leaking info back to your government then let a third-party come audit your hardware and close the book. Instead, they played the cat and mouse game thinking that it would never come to fruition and now have to deal with an Orangutan with a gavel laying down the law.

• Subscriber

They could just sell phones with no OS to markets and then somebody gets wise and puts a Google Variant OS (not like they dont do this already) on there. I doubt anyone would pick up a flagship phone for 100 if they were getting something with similar specs for 20. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

They could just sell phones with no OS to markets and then somebody gets wise and puts a Google Variant OS (not like they dont do this already) on there. I doubt anyone would pick up a flagship phone for 100 if they were getting something with similar specs for 20. 

How likely it is that they (Huawei) will just go on and develop a completely new OS?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, nudge said:

How likely it is that they (Huawei) will just go on and develop a completely new OS?

They can and they are. The big issues lie on two fronts

• Google Play Services -> Its not easy to create the app store behemoth and the infrastructure to support users like Google has. It may work for a segment of the population just wont work with as many to turn over the profits they have been. Can they do it? Yes. Can they do it in 3mos - 9mos? Absolutely not.
  • ARM Processors -> Put the OS aside, now they have another issue and that's the mobile chip tech they put in their phones as well. This one is about as big as Google stepping away. They have been building a new OS but then you've now got to contend with this as well. They've apparently stock-piled 3months worth of hardware from vendors they've worked with so they can sustain this for a while but in the longer run they'd need to start working on this too and this adds to the first point of going back to scratch.

I have never used Huawei products, as I'm 100% embedded with Google (Pixelbook, Pixel, Home, Chromecast, T-shirts, tattoos). But if they were leaking info back to China, then they have rightfully fuck off. 

I'm not an Apple fan, but they have, on numerous occasions, stood up for the privacy of the users. When the Boston Marathon bombings happened and the government wanted complete access to the guilt party's fun...Apple told them to find another way as they were going to help. Despite all the terrible shit I think Apple does, they certainly try to do well in protecting their customer's rights. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Eco said:

I have never used Huawei products, as I'm 100% embedded with Google (Pixelbook, Pixel, Home, Chromecast, T-shirts, tattoos).

Wait what? You have Google tattoos? O.o

9 hours ago, nudge said:

Hope the Chinese close all Apple manufacturing and assembly plants in China as retaliation.

It'd hurt Apple in the short term, because they'd have to find another place to get very cheap labour… but they'd probably just open up plants in Indonesia, or somewhere like that, where it's even cheaper labour - that would either mean more profits and/or cheaper phones for them. As China's middle class keeps growing, I imagine more and more of those kinds of jobs will leave China regardless, tbh.

I have an Huawei phone, I like it and was thinking of getting a newer Huawei model when my upgrade is due, but I'm not sure I will now. It's unfortunate though as they are generally class phones. I have nothing to really spy on so I couldn't give a fuck about that, although if certain apps stop working/it's a farce installing them then there is no point bothering.

• Subscriber
On 24/05/2019 at 21:54, JOSHBRFC said:

So Ive had one for about 3 months now, how will this affect me? Cba reading every chapter and verse about it. 

Should have zero impact for the next three months assuming the US Govt and Huawei stay at logger heads. Post the three months however, you'll stop getting updates and the phone will remain as-is for its lifetime. Now, this isn't such a big deal except for instances where Google updates its Play-Store and Services then you're SOL and the phone may even stop letting apps work properly. I figure you've got a good 11 months left on it before it becomes harder to use which I think is a good amount of time to get off it and onto another manufacturer.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Should have zero impact for the next three months assuming the US Govt and Huawei stay at logger heads. Post the three months however, you'll stop getting updates and the phone will remain as-is for its lifetime. Now, this isn't such a big deal except for instances where Google updates its Play-Store and Services then you're SOL and the phone may even stop letting apps work properly. I figure you've got a good 11 months left on it before it becomes harder to use which I think is a good amount of time to get off it and onto another manufacturer.

Download updated .apk from one of the apk sites and then install it on your phone; problem solved?

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Download updated .apk from one of the apk sites and then install it on your phone; problem solved?

I figured post a year he can just swap out the provider and not have to go through the hassle of rooting the phone but yeah if you like the device a lot and want to hold onto it an APK adds atleast another three years to the phone.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

I figured post a year he can just swap out the provider and not have to go through the hassle of rooting the phone but yeah if you like the device a lot and want to hold onto it an APK adds atleast another three years to the phone.

Granted I think the US will just use Huawei as a bargaining chip in the trading war anyway and the whole thing will just calm down on its own without any consequences.

I have a feeling that this is more America trying to flex its muscles more than anything and possibly pressured Google into doing this. 

The fact Trump mentions that 'any trade deals with China could involve Huawei' says something. 

Regardless, unless any major offers comes up, I have another year on my phone so unless I buy out the contract (which will be quite a bit anyway), I'm pretty much stuck with the P20 Pro. Not that I'm complaining too much mind. 

EDIT: @nudge beat me to it. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Granted I think the US will just use Huawei as a bargaining chip in the trading war anyway and the whole thing will just calm down on its own without any consequences.

I agree its a bit funny how it all went down and the nature of it all. Google jumping on board is just 'compliance' and nothing else. They've invested so much money and time in China to break that market its hurting them as much as its hurting Huawei.

• Subscriber
23 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I'm only a few months into my contract with EE. I may contact them and see if they can swap me phones. Hmmmm 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I'm only a few months into my contract with EE. I may contact them and see if they can swap me phones. Hmmmm 

I'd wait on it. Chances are this will all blow over before the summer is done. I doubt the US govt. wants to egg China in this considering that most of the stuff they manufacture comes out of there.

Archived