• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Huawei Saga

football forum

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Looks like its all going to blow over eventually as many suggested. They'll broker a deal and sort it out in maybe two months. Good for the market honestly because killing off a good competitor is never good for the consumer.

5 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Looks like its all going to blow over eventually as many suggested. They'll broker a deal and sort it out in maybe two months. Good for the market honestly because killing off a good competitor is never good for the consumer.

Not surprised. Loads of soft twats panic trading in their phones mind due to this. 

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/5/20754443/huawei-hongmeng-os-phone-announcement-developer-conference

So they're coming out with an OS. Not so shocking really but the bigger question is adoption and I dont think China will care either ways because they've got the population to support it and they can always slash the prices of devices to offset any potential loss in revenue from countries where android is popular.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Meh. I'll still stick with it until next year. Would cost me a fair bit to buy out of the contract anyway. 

The irony is that the likes of Apple probably do the same as Huawei but no one really cares. 

I dont think you're in any danger at all. Android's application lifecycle is over a year and if things kick off the way they do for Huawei I can't see anyone keeping them out of the US for too long. The prices of devices alone with kill the market outside America. The bigger news I have been seeing is that they are now trying to get into chip manufacturing to combat the ARM license fallout they had. If they succeed there, which is a big if, then they could set the path for development of a sustainable OS outside the US and Europe. That's a big shift in development for Mobile devices imo and probably what Huawei are really after.

• Subscriber

https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/07/trump-huawei-zte-ban-tech/

Goes into effect August 13th which isn't so far away. I do have a question about this technology though and if the government of the US thinks that making it on home-soil wont incur the same security threats that the Chinese equipment brings with it? I wonder who will step in and fill the gap now because from the looks of it these companies were heavily entrenched in a lot of federal areas. 

• 3 months later...
  • Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/11/the-us-gives-huawei-its-third-90-day-support-exemption-from-export-ban/

Seems like this 90-day exemption is going to keep going till they can't say its an extension anymore. The idea that all telecom companies should replace their infrastructure in 90 days is a bit silly and some companies have even claimed that it will cost billions of dollars through no fault of their own. Huawei, in the meantime, are just smiling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/12/huawei-is-now-shipping-smartphones-with-zero-us-components/

This is just the start of things going downhill for manufacturing now. The only problem they have to overcome is getting popular applications on their platform and it might actually be a success. Will it happen though is a totally different question that needs to be answered. I can't imagine them prying away all those companies setup in the US because the govt. would then impose some strict rules on them operating and working with China.

• 2 months later...

Archived