• Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough)
    • Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal)
    • David Luiz (Chelsea)
    • Michael Keane (Burnley)
    • Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not my vote but Gary Cahill has constantly been written off as 'over it' or 'never had it' but he has performed very admirably in the back three. My vote is Azpilicueta...wait. Anyway I've watched very little football this season because of work and the only player I can in confidence vote for is: David Luiz.

• Administrator

McAuley - I've mentioned in a few other threads already but he's been one of the key reasons why West Brom have and will finish so highly and against the odds this season. 37 years old and still playing at the highest level. Not many continue to do that and do it so well, either. Still scoring the odd goal, too. No doubt West Brom are on their holidays now, but who can blame them? he's been a stalwart, solid as a rock in that defence. Old-fashioned type defender, rugged and no-nonsense. But gets the job done.

David Luiz - there were serious questions when Chelsea re-signed him but what a re-signing it has turned out to be. Will help lead them to a title most likely, and Conte has managed to get even more out of him when people thought he was past his peak. Playing in the back 3 that Chelsea do gives him time on the ball and I think he's jus a really, really good defender. 

Any one of the 3 Chelsea center halfs who appeared when Conte went to 3 at the back (Where is Dave in your list of possibles?), something many seem to be trying to copy now at back end of the season. Young Gibson at Middlesbrough needs a shout, very impressive in a shocking team and deserves as much plaudits as the guy at Burnley.

Went for Keane and Vertonghen but shocked that nobody's voted for Ashley Williams.

I feel I have to give credit to David Luiz too as I always rightfully slagged him off for being shit. Since he returned to Chelsea though he's actually looked like a defender

• Subscriber

Vertonghen and Luiz.

Vertonghen has been brilliant this year, best season as a Spurs player by a considerable distance. Shown real leadership in the best defence in the league. Luiz has been pretty outstanding for Chelsea also so think it's a pretty easy choice

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Vertonghen and Luiz.

Vertonghen has been brilliant this year, best season as a Spurs player by a considerable distance. Shown real leadership in the best defence in the league. Luiz has been pretty outstanding for Chelsea also so think it's a pretty easy choice

No Toby?

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Cicero said:

No Toby?

Wasn't given the option, and quite honestly Vertonghen has probably been better this year. Toby is clearly the superior player but Jan's had his best season to date. 3-4-2-1 really suits him.

• This topic was locked and unpinned

Archived