talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Big Middle Eastern Thread

football forum

15 hours ago, 6666 said:

What happened to this Netanyahu prick getting done for corruption?

The trial’s ongoing and he hasn’t been able to form a government since their latest election. I feel him increasing tensions over Palestine is his way of keeping his trial out of the news - which is shamelessly horrific… but that’s what you get from an apartheid state tbh

It’s finally starting to get more coverage in the Western media, which is good - although irritating, but not surprising, that they’d be slow to react to this news.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/21/leaks-show-chelsea-owner-abramovich-funded-israeli-settler-group - this always blows my mind. I’ve known Abramovich is a shitty person for as long as I’ve known about him, but I do think this makes all of his “anti-racism” campaigns with Chelsea fans look like a bit of a hollow joke

1 hour ago, McAzeem said:

Same cycle again and again. Armed Palestinian factions fire rockets in retaliation, most intercepted. Annexations will go forth after things cool down.

They'll always go forward because they've got the tacit support of the US and EU.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They'll always go forward because they've got the tacit support of the US and EU.

Israel just fired rockets in Gaza, civilian causalities. They are planning a full ground operation if they get the green signal. This all is definitely planned to take away the attention from the political mess Nethanyahu is in. 

• Upvote 1

That high school bombing in Kabul is pretty fucking horrific.

Religious fundamentalists are absolute scum, and the Taliban are up there with the worst of them. They target kids, especially young girls, to control the population with fear... truly disgusting people.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That high school bombing in Kabul is pretty fucking horrific.

Religious fundamentalists are absolute scum, and the Taliban are up there with the worst of them. They target kids, especially young girls, to control the population with fear... truly disgusting people.

It was a school for Hazara population they are the most persecuted group in Afghanistan's history, there was a complete genocide of them in early 1900s. They're majority Shia and ethnically quite distinct due to their Central Asian/Mongol looks, makes them easily identifiable targets. All this for power & warlords

Edited by McAzeem
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Is that really what's happening in this videos? I don't understand the languages so I'm not sure. 

I think those videos are actually catching a lot of the chaos that's been happening. They do show Bat Yam, which is where an Arab was lynched in the aftermath of this video.

But at the beginning of the video you can also see Arabs punching a guy with an Israel flag. I think a Rabbi urging for calm and peace in Bat Yam was also beaten up by his fellow Israelis so, Bat Yam seems to be a place where calmer heads are definitely not prevailing.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Is that really what's happening in this videos? I don't understand the languages so I'm not sure. 

Yeah, mainstream media don't show it. 

4 hours ago, McAzeem said:

Nethanyahu and co miscalculated all this. 

They have diverted the attention from the forced occupation of houses & police brutality that started this all, but they certainly didn't see these communal tensions across the country coming.

Also their use of overt brutal force, quick military build-up on Gaza was pre-planned.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Israel/Palestine is probably the biggest gap in my knowledge when it comes to major political conflicts in current/recent history. I do intend to read up on it. It doesn't help that all of the reporting in the West seems to be done entirely through the lens of Israel's relationship with the UK/US and this obsession with picking a side and it becoming a cynical proxy "you're racist, no you're racist" discourse between political factions in those countries. 

For now, all I can say is that it's terrible to see the casualties of so many innocents on both sides. People are talking about countries having a right to defend themselves, about laws, constitutions, etc. I'm sorry but if you're carrying out air strikes and killing children then neither of you are the good guys.