talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Big Middle Eastern Thread

football forum

17 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Do other countries also have an obligation?

Should they adopt a strict or open policy?  Should countries take in as many as they can?

Discuss. 

All intervening countries have an obligation. Never mind taking in refugees the way most Western countries are ditching those Afghans who helped them in any way is shameless. Was it German official who said ' It's not like we asked them to help us '. The reason there is so much chaos at the Kabul airport (apart from the free loaders who are hoping to board a plane to US) are those people who coordinated with the allied troops for years or are foreign based Afghans who came back to run the new government. They fear vengeance from the Taliban for them helping the allied forces and as much as Taliban are saying they are giving general amnesty to all and still there are no serious reports of killings there is very much anxiety will they keep to their words after the troops leave which is very near.

We still have I Syrian women selling the Big Issue at my supermarket, makes me wonder what will happen to the Afghans that may just have a suitcase. It is not fun to be in a Western society without any money and residing in a poor neighbourhood. 

They might be better in a moderate Muslim country though many of those have their own problems too.  

i was surprised we did not automatically allow the translators to come, seems there are some last minute changes in approach though how the chips we fall is anyone's guess. 

2 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Explosion at Kabul airport

Two explosions thirteen dead so far. ISIS possibly behind. 

Senseless violence continues. Very graphic scenes from the airport. People there were sitting ducks and reports of an attack were already there. 

8 minutes ago, Khan of TF365 said:

All so depressing. Multiple blasts over 80 dead including US Marines. Biden has to face serious blow back.

Honestly? I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the retreat being purposely botched to justify a renewal of american presence in Afghanistan. 

I mean, on my opinion it's just incompetence but considering US's government long history of lies to manufacture support for foreign interventions (e.g. the Tunkin Gulf incident, Saddam's WMD), it's hard not consider this possibility. 

But then again, I'm far from an expert, so it may be just me being stupid. 😂

• Upvote 1

I understand your point and got suspicious with the sudden mainstream news of ISIS-K all brandishing new uniforms, face masks all based somewhere with rich fertile soil and a lot of trees, guess the country as I can't yet certainly not Afghan. or Iraq.

I would not be surprised if this wasn't someone from the ranks of the Taliban just frustrated that the evacuations were taking too long rather then some glossy new terror group or official Taliban policy.

The next steps taken might give us some better insight.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Holy shit.

The 20 years war aside. The evacuation process has been a colossal fuck up in it's own. US was negotiating with the Taliban for 18 months under the current terms so I don't believe they didn't thought about the aftermath of the withdrawal. They had 18 months to fast track the visa process of people who feared targeting by the Taliban.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
7 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Holy shit.

1 hour ago, Khan of TF365 said:

The 20 years war aside. The evacuation process has been a colossal fuck up in it's own. US was negotiating with the Taliban for 18 months under the current terms so I don't believe they didn't thought about the aftermath of the withdrawal. They had 18 months to fast track the visa process of people who feared targeting by the Taliban.

It's a colossal fuck up in any case. 

IMG-20210831-013157.jpg

IMG-20210831-013212.jpg

I think expecting a hiatus of 10-15 years of no American intervention anywhere in the world is an absolute pipe dream.

America has existed as a country for something like 240 years and been involved in some sort of military operation for 223 of those years. 10-15 years would be one of the longest period of "peace" for the US in it's history.

So I don't think that'll be happening.

• Upvote 1

Why are Jordan and Saudi Arabia so protected off from all the shit that happens around them. They are protected by US but so are others but others have been affected by the spill over in places like Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan. 

Does the US has spread the word in the underworld that must stay off of these two or y'all be dead men.

4 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Why are Jordan and Saudi Arabia so protected off from all the shit that happens around them. They are protected by US but so are others but others have been affected by the spill over in places like Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan. 

Does the US has spread the word in the underworld that must stay off of these two or y'all be dead men.

Honestly, yeah - I'm sure that has something to do with it. They're important countries for the US hegemony. But also... the Saudis are a big financier and spreader of the Wahhabi and Salafist ideologies that these radical weirdos follow - so it may also be a case of not biting the hand that feeds them.

6 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

IMG-20210903-132021.jpg

What I said earlier. 90s was different everyone backed who they thought would win things changed after 2001. Taliban have realised Iran is a neighbour Saudis are not, immediate neighbours are important you can't ignore them.

Iran already started selling the Taliban oil.

I think it’s a disgrace tbh. Iran should be treating the Taliban the way the rest of the world treats Iran.

But the IRI and being a disgrace go hand in hand xD

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Iran already started selling the Taliban oil.

I think it’s a disgrace tbh. Iran should be treating the Taliban the way the rest of the world treats Iran.

But the IRI and being a disgrace go hand in hand xD

They probably see Taliban valuable in dealing with Western govts in future and they seem to have struck a deal with them to insure fair treatment of Tajik/Persian communities there which always been a problem since in the center power has always been in the hands of Pashtun nationalists. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They probably see Taliban valuable in dealing with Western govts in future and they seem to have struck a deal with them to insure fair treatment of Tajik/Persian communities there which always been a problem since in the center power has always been in the hands of Pashtun nationalists. 

I mean ultimately, I think the Iranian government probably most values any sort of stability in the region. And from their perspective, a US puppet government of a country filled with US soldiers on two of their borders probably didn't feel all that stable. Especially because the more recent US invasion led to the spread of ISIS, who scare the shit out of most Shias because... well look what they did with Shias in Iraq and Syria.

So having relations with the Taliban can improve some regional stability - which is a good thing from their perspective.

It doesn't help though that a bulk of Iran's foreign policy is devoted to their proxy wars with Saudi Arabia and Israel, though - which doesn't help regional stability. But they do want to be seen as constantly challenging US hegemony and the best way to do that in the Middle East is to remain confrontational with those two countries. Although they're trying to improve relations with the Saudis nowadays.