talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Would You Rather Win Domestic League/Cups or Champions League?

football forum

League and Domestic success or winning the Champions League?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What for you signifies the greatest satisfaction as a club fan... League and domestic success or Champions League glory?

• National League and national cups
    • UEFA Champions League

Many will have had this debate before whether it be on a forum (online anywhere) or in a pub between friends. This is a debate that crosses frontiers and isn't exclusive to any European state (have to be careful wirh the "state" word these days in the uK) and is something of a controversial topic it seems.

So wherever you're from in Europe or even those that observe or are fans of the European game in other continents... What's your standpoint on this and why?

What's more important, what shows dominance and regularity during a football year... What is for you nthe ultimate satisfaction for a football season... Domestic success or the maximum victory in Europe's premier competition?

• The title was changed to Would You Rather Win Domestic League/Cups or Champions League?
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm desperate to see Liverpool win the league so I'd probably go with that. European success is huge though. The Champions League throws up so many great nights on the way to a final. 

Obviously I can't compare the winning feeling between the two until Liverpool win the league again. Most older Liverpool fans I know (my dad, his mates etc) who have seen both would say the European Cup though

It's the Champions League. The opposition is better, the games are bigger, the prize is more exclusive. Everyone's won their domestic league and/or cup at one point or another, but only a select few have been to Europe and brought home the big one. Those are the elite clubs of Europe no matter how many domestic prizes the rest have won.

Subjectively, I can understand other Liverpool fans favouring our domestic league because it's been so long, but for me it'll always be the Champions League.

36 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

It's the Champions League. The opposition is better, the games are bigger, the prize is more exclusive. Everyone's won their domestic league and/or cup at one point or another, but only a select few have been to Europe and brought home the big one. Those are the elite clubs of Europe no matter how many domestic prizes the rest have won.

Subjectively, I can understand other Liverpool fans favouring our domestic league because it's been so long, but for me it'll always be the Champions League.

So if Liverpool hypothetically win the Chanpions League, for you that would he a more successful season than Man City's?

Obviously there's a Liverpool league drought to be broken that right now would lead me to be more set on that but putting that one off aside it's a question where the answer is so obvious it doesn't need to be asked. 

It's obviously the Champions league.

Which tournament really lands you in the history books? Which ones twenty years later get spoken about outside of one country? It's obviously the Champions league. However the real goal should be to win both. Don't be a forth placed team that wins the CL. Win your league and the CL and do it a few times in a decade and you are immortalised for all time as one of the great sides. Without the CL there will forever be an asterisk.

If City or PSG fall from grace next year I guarantee most neutral football fans wouldn't even remember there was a time when they were good ..

For countries like England where there are probably six teams that can potentially win the title before the season starts the people will obviously give the league title the importance it deserves.

But for one or two horse leagues like Spain, Germany etc teams like Barca, Real and Bayern are sure to win the league title at least once or twice in lets say a decade so Champions League becomes the barometer of their success.

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

The league, unless you support Liverpool in which case you pretend it's the Champions League after bottling domestically.

As if you're getting involved in a thread like this

5 minutes ago, Azeem said:

For countries like England where there are probably six teams that can potentially win the title before the season starts the people will obviously give the league title the importance it deserves.

But for one or two horse leagues like Spain, Germany etc teams like Barca, Real and Bayern are sure to win the league title at least once or twice in lets say a decade so Champions League becomes the barometer of their success.

What if in a two horse race you don't finish second to the other supposed horse and anything between 17 to 20 points behind the prime horse?

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

What if in a two horse race you don't finish second to the other supposed horse and anything between 17 to 20 points behind the prime horse?

Again you proved my point its not really about the league title its just about finishing ahead of the other horse, if both Barca and Real end up trophy less but one finishes ahead of the other than their fans will be more than happy 

24 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Don't be a petulant child and read more than just a headline, if you have the capability. ;)

Dont be a lazy bum and choose your titles more appropriately, especially if you are then going to ask people to justify them.

53 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

So if Liverpool hypothetically win the Chanpions League, for you that would he a more successful season than Man City's?

Yes, and I don't think there could be much debate about it. We finished one point behind City in the league and we'd have the biggest prize in club football. Even if you value the league over the Champions League, I don't see how you could argue we hadn't had the better season in this hypothetical given how close we were in one and how much better we did in the other.

The more interesting question for me is what if Tottenham win it? There's no comparison in the league, but it'd be Tottenham going in the history books as champions of Europe, the envy of the continent. Which is more valuable? Let's hope we never have to have that discussion.

1 hour ago, Burning Gold said:

It's the Champions League. The opposition is better, .

As you know, the Premier League is harder to win :coffee:   ..with a cup you can get lucky draws, the best team does not always make the final

21 minutes ago, Michael Simeonovitch said:

Dont be a lazy bum and choose your titles more appropriately, especially if you are then going to ask people to justify them.

Read the content silly billy, as I can't cater for stupid people all in one title.

28 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Again you proved my point its not really about the league title its just about finishing ahead of the other horse, if both Barca and Real end up trophy less but one finishes ahead of the other than their fans will be more than happy 

That doesn't answer the question.

11 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Yes, and I don't think there could be much debate about it. We finished one point behind City in the league and we'd have the biggest prize in club football. Even if you value the league over the Champions League, I don't see how you could argue we hadn't had the better season in this hypothetical given how close we were in one and how much better we did in the other.

The more interesting question for me is what if Tottenham win it? There's no comparison in the league, but it'd be Tottenham going in the history books as champions of Europe, the envy of the continent. Which is more valuable? Let's hope we never have to have that discussion.

Totally agree with the first part although I'm not sure if you're comparing Spurs winning it with the, subsequently having a better season.

Archived