talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Round 07: Canada

football forum

• Administrator

A second steering wheel input from Sebastian Vettel after he regained control of his Ferrari Formula 1 car was pivotal in his Canadian Grand Prix penalty, Autosport has learned.

The Montreal F1 stewards ruled that Vettel had rejoined the track in an unsafe manner following his error at the first chicane with 22 laps to go and forced Lewis Hamilton off the circuit.

The five-second penalty imposed for the incident meant Vettel lost what would have been his and Ferrari's first win of the 2019 F1 season to Hamilton.

Vettel was adamant he had done nothing wrong, and said he had been powerless in the situation because his car was out of control after running over the grass.

But while it is clear from on board footage that Vettel was battling to control his car as he bounced off the grass onto the circuit again, it is understood that the stewards' decision was based on Vettel's actions at the point he had effectively recovered from the incident.

The stewards examined slow motion footage of Vettel's actions from the moment that he had regained control and started steering his car - and felt the evidence showed that he could have made different choices that would have been within the rules.

The footage clearly captures Vettel correcting an oversteer moment as he rejoins the track - which is shown by a sharp steering wheel movement to the right.

Shortly after that, Vettel has sorted the oversteer and begins steering to the left to follow the direction of the circuit - suggesting he is now under control.

But a split moment later, rather than keeping to the left, Vettel is shown to release the steering wheel - which allows his car to drift to the right, cutting off the route that Hamilton would have taken had he had clear space.

The movement to straighten the wheel, which put the Ferrari into the path of Hamilton's Mercedes, is believed to be key to the unanimous decision by the stewards to punish Vettel.

The stewards also used an extra CCTV camera view of the incident, which was not broadcast on the international television feed, showing Vettel moving his head and looking in the mirrors to see Hamilton was during the moments when he was releasing the wheel to the right.

On board footage of the Vettel incident also shows his head turning towards the mirrors in the moment when he is drifting out - suggesting he knew where Hamilton was.

Had Vettel kept his car tight to the left once he had regained control, then there was likely enough room to have allowed Hamilton through on the right - in which case the matter would almost certainly not have been investigated.

The fact that telemetry data showed Hamilton had to brake to avoid the collision with Vettel indicated how the Mercedes driver was caught out by his rival's actions.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Cannabis said:

I watched it too you idiot, look through the posts as proof if you really want xD. Unsure where that bizarre accusation has come from.

I feel like the majority of F1 fans thinks it's an unfair penalty. Hamilton fan or not, I'm not sure why you get so much enjoyment at a true low moment in a sport you supposedly love. This wasn't racing, simple as. 

• Subscriber

@Eco if you like open wheel single seater series I highly recommend watching IndyCar. Little bling bling, plenty of proper old-school, no-nonsense racing. As an American you should have easy access to it.

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Because the pro-Vettel being rattled is funny as. Just like @Tommy giving it the big guns when Vettel put it on pole before the race was also funny as.

It's a bit like saying laughing at a football team is weird if you love football.

You keep talking about being rattled and all that. Yet, you are the first one who throws a hissy fit when being "rattled" and you run crying to your girlfriend or whatever. If you can dish out, you must also be able to take. If I say one wrong word now, you'll go "ffs, let it go :61_sob:". 

Keep laughing about the rattled, yet you keep crying when rattled yourself. Coward! 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

You keep talking about being rattled and all that. Yet, you are the first one who throws a hissy fit when being "rattled" and you run crying to your girlfriend or whatever. If you can dish out, you must also be able to take. If I say one wrong word now, you'll go "ffs, let it go :61_sob:". 

Keep laughing about the rattled, yet you keep crying when rattled yourself. Coward! 

Any close up videos?

• Administrator

Does get fucking boring to be honest when you come in to a thread and all you see is the word 'rattled' whenever Vettel does so much as breathe. 

We get it, you hate Vettel and Ferrari. Yawn.

• Administrator
Just now, Cannabis said:

Says you who literally has a panic attack over Lewis every weekend. Pipe down and get to bed.

Eh xD?

Any proof of this? Pretty sure I was one who backed him over Vettel this weekend?!

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Because the pro-Vettel being rattled is funny as. Just like @Tommy giving it the big guns when Vettel put it on pole before the race was also funny as.

It's a bit like saying laughing at a football team is weird if you love football.

No - it's like a football team losing a massive match on a controversial handball that ultimately determines the outcome of the match. One team is pissed they got cheated, and the other gets a win that they don't really feel great about. 

• Subscriber

I thought Ricciardo's defensive driving against Bottas was a joy to watch. Hard and near the limit but surely not dirty? Bottas himself didn't seem to mind or complain either.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, nudge said:

I thought Ricciardo's defensive driving against Bottas was a joy to watch. Hard and near the limit but surely not dirty? Bottas himself didn't seem to mind or complain either.

Yeah agreed. I think that was just good racing, by both drivers. Bottas being sensibly aggressive and Ricciardo sensibly defending the space within limits. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived