talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Diego Llorente Signs For Leeds

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's been one of the highlights of Real Sociedad's season, one of the only standout points. He replaced Íñigo Martínez who defected from La Real to Athletic Bilbao and has done a marvellous job. Whether he's ready for the step up in intensity from La Real's very measured game to Liverpool's high intensity, is something only Klopp and the Liverpool technical team can really answer mate. But he's very strong.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

He's been one of the highlights of Real Sociedad's season, one of the only standout points. He replaced Íñigo Martínez who defected from La Real to Athletic Bilbao and has done a marvellous job. Whether he's ready for the step up in intensity from La Real's very measured game to Liverpool's high intensity, is something only Klopp and the Liverpool technical team can really answer mate. But he's very strong.

You can never really gauge a player from a highlight reel but from what I've seen he is very good at understanding the opponents play and is actually someone who works very well in a counter-attack system as well. Also looks like he has ball playing skills as well which would server very well in our back line long-term.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Cheers mate. 

• The topic was locked
  • 8 months later...
  • Administrator

Leeds have signed him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54272055

Leeds United have signed Real Sociedad defender Diego Llorente on a four-year deal for an undisclosed fee, which is understood to be around £18m.

The Spain international will provide competition for centre-backs Robin Koch, Liam Cooper and Pascal Struijk.

Former Real Madrid player Llorente, 27, can also play in midfield.

He is the newly-promoted side's fourth major signing of the summer following their Championship title win last season.

Leeds have spent significant money, including a club record £26m for Valencia forward Rodrigo, £13m on Freiburg defender Koch, and £16m on ex-Wolves winger Helder Costa.

"It was a difficult decision for me and my family [to leave Sociedad] but I have taken the best decision of my football career," Llorente told BBC Radio Leeds.

"The coach [Marcelo Bielsa] has been an important factor. I can improve under him and it will be an honour to learn from him.

"I spoke with Pablo [Hernandez] a few days ago. He told me about the city and the team, and I have also played with Rodrigo in the national team."

Marcelo Bielsa's side have conceded seven goals in their first two Premier League games, losing 4-3 to Liverpool on the opening weekend and beating Fulham by the same score on Saturday.

Llorente, who will wear the number 14 shirt, has won five international caps for Spain.

Marcelo Bielsa loves versatility so Llorente's ball-playing qualities and ability to do a job in front of the back four if required, like Brighton loanee Ben White did on occasion last season, will be a major plus.

It also represents a change in approach from Bielsa as his squad begins to expand in an area where it was felt he thought he had enough cover with the likes of Leif Davis and right back Luke Ayling.

Llorente, who was in Spain head coach Luis Enrique's recent Uefa Nations League squads, says he is ready to play in Sunday's game at Sheffield United, but that will depend on him being is up to Bielsa's notoriously stringent fitness levels.

• The title was changed to Diego Llorente Signs For Leeds
  • The topic was unlocked
On 27/05/2019 at 13:14, SirBalon said:

Well this sounds promising albeit, based on the season before last. I haven't seen him so I've no idea what we are getting.

Hopefully, he is comfortable with the ball at his feet as this seems pretty much a stipulation for Bielsa. We could also do with him being dominant in the air, we're extremely vulnerable when the ball is crossed into our box at the moment.

Can't imagine him going straight into the line up till he's had time to work with the team and grasp the tactics, but with him, Kiko Casilla, Pablo Hernandez and Rodrigo, he won't struggle to feel at home.

Archived