talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should Religion Stop LGBT Lessons in School?

football forum

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, José said:

It doesn't. What bothers me is how they shove their beliefs/ways an expect a non-lbgt to be okay with it. For example, I smoke pot, and soon it will be legal here, but that doesnt guarentee that some may still not agree with it. Does it bother me? Not at all and the same should apply for the LGBT, find your true self and then live it. 

It's like my family right now, I have two cousins (both from cali, go figure) and they have both come out as lesbo/bia. I dont approve of such lifestyle but I do approve of the right to freedom. They do their thing  without the need for all the family to be okay with it, just like a do my smoking. Some things are better kept on the DL. 

The stuff in bold is the problem. If you can’t see how your language may cause offence then it proves the lessons are necessary in this case as in a multitude of others. 

Gay people have been murdered, beheaded, imprisoned and chemically chastrated for being gay but I think we can all agree that their plight pales into insignificance compared to that of the stoners.

16 hours ago, Danny said:

Gay people have been murdered, beheaded, imprisoned and chemically chastrated for being gay but I think we can all agree that their plight pales into insignificance compared to that of the stoners.

I was fined once for smoking a spliff in public though, surely that's comparable to being brutally killed or chemically castrated.

#FreeGonzo

Although I wasn't imprisoned and I'm currently free and it wasn't that big of a deal. And I'm clearly being sarcastic - it's nowhere near the same sort of persecution. Because it's not persecution, it's just stupid drug laws.

• Subscriber

Theres some extremely concerning opinions and assumptions in this thread from people on both sides who clearly have no idea how things work in schools so I'll try and clear a few things up.

We all need to separate the sexual aspect of this here. Remember that the physical sex aspect of relationships, same sex or heterosexual relationships, is only a small part of it. Actual sex education, the physical side, isn't taught until kids reach the age of about 14 in the UK, it might be different elsewhere.

How this will work with toddlers or younger kids is not going to involve any exposure to sexual acts at all. What they will try to achieve in primary school is nothing more than kids accepting that sometimes, someone in their class might have two Dads, or two Mums, instead of a traditional mother and father, and that's okay. That's literally all it's going to be, and if anyone thinks that this is going to cause 7 year olds great internal struggles about their sexuality then I'm worried for them.

If children have been brought up sheltered enough that the thought of a same sex couple completely destroys their world view, then that's all the more reason to make sure they build some awareness of people having different relationships sooner rather than later because you can imagine them going several more years being completely oblivious that the first time they see two men walking down the street holding hands their reaction is going to be even more extreme.

I also agree that parents should have a big say in how their kids are educated in this regard but unfortunately, wherever you go you'll either get parents who avoid the topic because they're scared of turning their kids into queers if they ever allow them to find out that gay people exist, and parents who are so bigoted and uneducated themselves that they'll pass on their own dangerous views about people being different to them to another generation, and you've got parents who don't give enough of a shit or don't think it's their job to take responsibility for this aspect of their child's education. As a result, schools have to make some effort to educate the kids. Of course it's difficult to tailor it to 20 kids at once with different backgrounds, different beliefs at home, different levels of prior understanding, but it's better than nothing.

As for the actual mechanics of it, I don't know that they'll ever teach about gay sex in schools at all. Topics like this are delivered in a very factual manner, in science they will learn about the act of reproduction and in PSHE or whatever it's called in other countries, they'll learn about the rights and wrongs of relationships and consent, the risks of pregnancy and STIs, contraception, how oral and possibly anal sex carry different risks, and how to be safe. Most often, kids are encouraged to ask questions about anything they're curious about. Certainly, as a teacher, if you're teaching about sex, or religion or politics in any way, trying to project any single view onto the content, whether that be Vote Leave or LGBT views will get you in a lot of trouble.

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:41, Azeem said:

The reason i searched it because you said its an accusation that sexualizaton is being forced on kids. 

Whats the point to say ' Who wants to be drag queen when they grow up ? to a toddler if no one is teaching to be homosexual or transsexual. 

As Artful Dodger said, lets teach them about Islam/Hinduism/Christianity and ask little kids ' Who wants to be a Muslim/Hindu/Christian when they grow up,  surely no one will find that okay. 

I'm not sure I did say that? I'm saying, we teach kids about different religions and beliefs, that many of us either don't believe in or actively disagree with. Therefore there's no issue with children being taught about the existence of different relationships. Sexual matters should be left out of it but the simple informing of gay relationships is no problem.

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm not sure I did say that? I'm saying, we teach kids about different religions and beliefs, that many of us either don't believe in or actively disagree with. Therefore there's no issue with children being taught about the existence of different relationships. Sexual matters should be left out of it but the simple informing of gay relationships is no problem.

Yes but you don't teach them at toddler level  enforced by the state

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Are we taught religion growing up? Or in today's curriculum? I know at Uni it is an elective course, but didn't think it was a mandatory thing in primary and secondary schools. 

Don't know how it is in today's curriculum but we had mandatory religion classes in primary school. In secondary school, we had an option of choosing between religion or ethics classes. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Don't know how it is in today's curriculum but we had mandatory religion classes in primary school. In secondary school, we had an option of choosing between religion or ethics classes. 

It’s exactly like that in Spain still. Although the growing extreme-right (VOX) wants to bring back crucifixes in classrooms and mandatory Catholicism (the Opus Dei type doctrine) all through secondary education too.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Are we taught religion growing up? Or in today's curriculum? I know at Uni it is an elective course, but didn't think it was a mandatory thing in primary and secondary schools. 

Every school teaches some RE. It's also very factual and in the UK at least its absolute taboo for teachers to teach or tell kids to follow a certain religion, they simply get taught the key traditions and beliefs of each major religion. 

Obviously if you go to a specific faith school that's different.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

I remember being taught Islam & Christianity in my religious studies lessons (which I really liked). They were the main 2 topics throughout the syllabus; Hinduism/Sikhism, Judaism were touched upon but not in as much detail. 

I did RS at A-Levels as well but it was more theology/philosophy-based and more on religious texts as opposed to anything else. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I had a teacher who pushed his beliefs (Christianity) onto pupils which I thought was ridiculous. I do understand that he was a rare case.

I was taught Christianity, Islam, Sikhism and Hinduism. Nobody really took RE seriously as there's a lot of ignorance towards religion. 

Yeah we had one in primary school who did RE seemingly every day and it was more like Sunday school than actual school. Unless we were supposed to learn only christianity that year which I doubt because no other teachers were like that, he was a definite bible basher. Lesser of two evils though because the fella we were supposed to have originally got sacked the summer before for apparently having pictures of students getting changed in his desk drawers O.o.

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I had a teacher who pushed his beliefs (Christianity) onto pupils which I thought was ridiculous. I do understand that he was a rare case.

I was taught Christianity, Islam, Sikhism and Hinduism. Nobody really took RE seriously as there's a lot of ignorance towards religion. 

Did they tell you in those lessons that being homosexual would be a damnation to hell when your terrestrial life ceases? 

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Homosexually was never discussed in school. 

Neither was it at mine and I went to a Catholic school. Like they didn’t even exist but then again never touched on the scriptures that allegedly allude to it being a sin and an aberration. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah we had one in primary school who did RE seemingly every day and it was more like Sunday school than actual school. Unless we were supposed to learn only christianity that year which I doubt because no other teachers were like that, he was a definite bible basher. Lesser of two evils though because the fella we were supposed to have originally got sacked the summer before for apparently having pictures of students getting changed in his desk drawers O.o.

How small were his students?!

2 hours ago, Cannabis said:

That pretty much sums up how I felt about RE really. Learnt a little but was wasn't really arsed overall.

Had to do it as mandatory roughly until your choices for GCSE's and if it wasn't one of your core choices, you could still get 'half a GCSE' (@RandoEFC, heard of that?) for it. Ended up doing it after a bit of persuasion (it's an extra qualification etc).

After a question in a mock exam along the lines of 'How would the world be a better place?', I responded with a cringe worthy answer of 'removing all evil from the world'. I proceeded to name Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Tony Blair and George W Bush. I got pulled to the side and giving a bollocking. 

Did R.E in High School, in Primary School I went to a Christian school, which had a church next door. Us 5 Muslims in the school didn't have to go, was great, because we just nicked and eat all the crisps which were sold at the tucks shops while the rest were in Church.

36 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Funnily enough, I was just browsing the net in general and came across this. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48457650

Read into that as you please. 

This is exactly what I was telling Azeem. But those that manipulate and force lies are always stronger than those handling facts, the truth. We have similar issues surrounding toddler vaccinations at the moment worldwide.

7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

This is exactly what I was telling Azeem. But those that manipulate and force lies are always stronger than those handling facts, the truth. We have similar issues surrounding toddler vaccinations at the moment worldwide.

balto-didnt-bust-his-ass-across-the-alas

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Had to do it as mandatory roughly until your choices for GCSE's and if it wasn't one of your core choices, you could still get 'half a GCSE' (@RandoEFC, heard of that?) for it. Ended up doing it after a bit of persuasion (it's an extra qualification etc).

Yeah that was what we did and it's still a thing at my current school.

3 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Nobody informed the police?

Well I assume so.

Archived