The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2019/20 General Chat

• The title was changed to Premier League 2019/20 General Chat
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Wonder if Naby will be fit for opening day and its all really dependent on what happens at the African Cup in a weeks time as well. Somehow international games bring the worst results with them.

2 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Edit: @Grizzly21, you like collecting balls, you got one of these yet?

Not yet, still not gotten back into collecting them but I will hopefully soon. This one looks nice :D 

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

@Stan

Yep, as expected given their European exploits. 

Means a Saturday in front of TV watching other season openers and Soccer Saturday. No complaints from me! 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Cicero said:

What are your expectations?

It's hard to say because it's largely going to be dictated by how the others perform. I'm going to make a potentially silly claim here but this is a superb opportunity for clubs like us, Wolves and Everton to finish above any combination of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United. My reasons for those three are I think they're all in situations that'll take more than this season to solve and we're about 3 players off being a very good side in my opinion.

I want some form of European football next year. My expectations are usually pretty dynamic - I can handle coming 8th if you can genuinely point to a strong top 7. It's when you get Burnley not winning a game in about 3 months and still getting 7th where I get annoyed at us not taking advantage.

My worry with us is that a strong end of season raised expectations and will put pressure on a talented, albeit young side.

• Subscriber

Last time we were at home first game we won the league so this clearly bodes well.

Our first game's an interesting one, although I can see it being a cagey draw. Neither side will want to lose that.

• Administrator

First batch of games moved for TV:

Saturday 17th August:
Arsenal vs Burnley, 12.30 (BT Sport)
Man City vs Spurs, 17.30 (Sky)

Sunday 18th August
Sheff Utd vs Palace, 14.00 (Sky)
Chelsea vs Leicester, 16.30 (Sky)

Monday 19th August
Wolves vs Man Utd, 20.00 (Sky)

Friday 23rd August
Aston Villa vs Everton, 20.00 (Sky)

Saturday 24th August
Norwich vs Chelsea, 12.30 (BT)
Liverpool vs Arsenal, 17.30 (Sky)

Sunday 25th August
Bournemouth vs Man City, 14.00 (Sky)
Spurs vs Newcastle, 16.30 (Sky)

Saturday 31st August
Southampton vs Man Utd, 12.30 (BT)
Burnley vs Liverpool, 17.30 (Sky) 

Sunday 1st September
Everton vs Wolves, 14.00 (Sky)
Arsenal vs Spurs, 16.30 (Sky)

Saturday 14th September
Liverpool vs Newcastle, 12.30 (BT)
Norwich vs Man City, 17.30 (Sky)

Sunday 15th September
Bournemouth vs Everton, 14.00 (Sky)
Watford vs Arsenal, 16.30 (Sky)

Monday 16th September
Aston Villa vs West Ham, 20.00 (Sky)

Friday 20th September
Southampton vs Bournemouth, 20.00 (Sky)

Sunday 21st September
Leicester vs Spurs, 12.30 (BT)
Newcastle vs Brighton (17.30 (Sky)

Sunday 22nd September
West Ham vs Man Utd, 14.00 (Sky)
Chelsea vs Liverpool, 16.30 (Sky)

Saturday 28th September
Sheff Utd vs Liverpool, 12.30 (BT)
Leicester vs Newcastle/Everton vs Man City - will be finalised depending on Man City's CL dates.

Monday 30th September
Man Utd vs Arsenal, 20.00 (Sky)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Comparison of each team's shirt sponsor deals:

IMG_20190717_192612.thumb.jpg.6609f8d5d4b76fbddaa96afa6d6cb69d.jpg

Not many surprises there. Another area where the big six make an extra £20m-£30m over the rest of the league which helps them stay a step ahead financially. What is more interesting is that none of the top six have deals with gaming companies but almost all other teams do. Is this a coincidence? Is this because they have so many big money offers they can be 'moral' and rise above having a gambling firm on their shirts? Is there another reason?

On 17/07/2019 at 19:30, RandoEFC said:

Comparison of each team's shirt sponsor deals:

IMG_20190717_192612.thumb.jpg.6609f8d5d4b76fbddaa96afa6d6cb69d.jpg

Not many surprises there. Another area where the big six make an extra £20m-£30m over the rest of the league which helps them stay a step ahead financially. What is more interesting is that none of the top six have deals with gaming companies but almost all other teams do. Is this a coincidence? Is this because they have so many big money offers they can be 'moral' and rise above having a gambling firm on their shirts? Is there another reason?

What's the score with Sport Pesa? Rumours that they're closing down from what I seen today? Also the below from David Conn. Either way they're getting some bad publicity at the moment

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMike said:

What's the score with Sport Pesa? Rumours that they're closing down from what I seen today? Also the below from David Conn. Either way they're getting some bad publicity at the moment

I love how this guy uses "the peoples club" in quotation marks as if to imply that we had any fucking thing at all to do with it.

The worst part for me is reading that the Isle of Man is a part of this because I live there. Unfortunately e-gaming is a bit of a niche sector for us over here and is a huge part of our economy. Many large gambling companies have their head office registered in the Isle of Man on paper, such as Paddy Power, due to lighter tax restrictions, and more importantly less scrutiny into what they do. Some companies like PP just do it for the tax reasons and actually run their operations from somewhere else but some do take advantage of things that are 'technically legal' over here so this story is very believable, Sport Pesa wouldn't be the first. I don't have much in the way of specifics, I'm just aware of a certain 'dirtiness' to the industry over here.

As for Everton, it doesn't reflect well but ultimately it's nothing we've done. I imagine all if the other gambling companies on that list are doing the same thing or would have been doing it if they'd have thought of it first. I know people who work for some of these companies over here who will openly admit that their employers give them free use of a gym, games room and other perks to try and distract them from the fact that "our entire job is to get gambling addicts to give us their money even if it puts them into crippling debt". 

I have issues anyway with having gambling companies on a shirt sponsor. I'm pretty sure it was discussed on here a few months ago, something about how a country had made it illegal to have betting logos on kid sized football shirts, or maybe it was one team who decided that themselves. I understand that the £10m we get from Sport Pesa helps the club but in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that much money at all these days, and I don't see why we can't find a different shirt sponsor outside of the gambling industry to give us a similar deal, or even one where we got half the money and didn't associate ourselves with gambling at all.

Personally I'd be more than happy to see us fuck off a shirt sponsor and the money altogether and stick Everton in the Community on there instead.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

As for Everton, it doesn't reflect well but ultimately it's nothing we've done.

How in the fuck could anyone blame Everton for the actions of their shirt sponsor?!

That'd be like blaming Liverpool for Standard Chartered going around the Iran sanctions. The club has no fucking say in what the company that paid for their logo on the shirts does in their business, they've just traded money for that advertising space.

10 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I love how this guy uses "the peoples club" in quotation marks as if to imply that we had any fucking thing at all to do with it.

The worst part for me is reading that the Isle of Man is a part of this because I live there. Unfortunately e-gaming is a bit of a niche sector for us over here and is a huge part of our economy. Many large gambling companies have their head office registered in the Isle of Man on paper, such as Paddy Power, due to lighter tax restrictions, and more importantly less scrutiny into what they do. Some companies like PP just do it for the tax reasons and actually run their operations from somewhere else but some do take advantage of things that are 'technically legal' over here so this story is very believable, Sport Pesa wouldn't be the first. I don't have much in the way of specifics, I'm just aware of a certain 'dirtiness' to the industry over here.

As for Everton, it doesn't reflect well but ultimately it's nothing we've done. I imagine all if the other gambling companies on that list are doing the same thing or would have been doing it if they'd have thought of it first. I know people who work for some of these companies over here who will openly admit that their employers give them free use of a gym, games room and other perks to try and distract them from the fact that "our entire job is to get gambling addicts to give us their money even if it puts them into crippling debt". 

I have issues anyway with having gambling companies on a shirt sponsor. I'm pretty sure it was discussed on here a few months ago, something about how a country had made it illegal to have betting logos on kid sized football shirts, or maybe it was one team who decided that themselves. I understand that the £10m we get from Sport Pesa helps the club but in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that much money at all these days, and I don't see why we can't find a different shirt sponsor outside of the gambling industry to give us a similar deal, or even one where we got half the money and didn't associate ourselves with gambling at all.

Personally I'd be more than happy to see us fuck off a shirt sponsor and the money altogether and stick Everton in the Community on there instead.

I can see why the first point wound some blues up. The replies to that tweet are hilarious though. They're all calling him a murdering redshite cunt amongst other things. He is (or was until the takeover) a Man City fanxD Good post though and I didn't realise that about Paddy Power

10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How in the fuck could anyone blame Everton for the actions of their shirt sponsor?!

That'd be like blaming Liverpool for Standard Chartered going around the Iran sanctions. The club has no fucking say in what the company that paid for their logo on the shirts does in their business, they've just traded money for that advertising space.

I think we'd all probably like our clubs to be more careful with who they choose to associate themselves with. I suppose any huge company isn't going to be squeaky clean though

• The topic was unpinned

Archived