talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leonardo Resigns As Milan Sporting Director

OFFICIAL: Leonardo leaves Milan

Milan have announced that Leonardo has stepped down from his position as sporting director.

“Leonardo joined AC Milan in its hour of need a few short weeks before the closing of the summer transfer window,” CEO Ivan Gazidis told the club’s official website.

“Under very difficult circumstances he put his heart and soul into addressing a highly complicated situation and transmitting his energy and his ambition to the team.

“I am very grateful to Leonardo for everything he has contributed to our great Club and wish him well in his future endeavours.”

More to follow...

:bye:

• The title was changed to Leonardo Resigns As Milan Sporting Director
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eco said:

More turnover is not what Milan needs. Now they will get a new coach and new Sporting Director. 

I think they needed a new Sporting Director tbh. And it may be better to have a coach on the same page as a new sporting director.

Milan's youth team were also relegated this season. For such a club to be thoroughly mediocre is a reflection of all the poor decisions made since 2010. Right from the very top.

Unfortunately for Milan fans, as long as they don't have good ownership leading them, I don't see them making a turnaround in their fortunes for them.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Why Leonardo was ever deemed as a good option for sporting director is beyond me. Why?

Anyway... He'll probably be going back to the comfort zone of PSG.

As much rationale as appointing Maldini.

23 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

As much rationale as appointing Maldini.

Maybe.

I have no idea what Maldini has done in learning this field at all. He has the status which is a big part of the tools required to finalise deals but nothing to do with identifying what's required for the club you represent. Andoni Zubizarreta who was technical director for sport at Barcelona and like Maldini, a club legend, he done a great job but also committed errors. Now Barcelona have brought back Eric Abidal because Carles Puyol who has taken the course, passed it with flying colours and travelled the world working at clubs in South America, Central America, Asia and Europe (curiously done 11 months at AC Milan in the background) refused the position because in his words ; "I'm not ready for this particular job on this scale".

As far as I'm concerned massive clubs offer these positions without having looked into what that individual can provide in that capacity and rely on that person's backroom staff to execute correctly. It rarely works! A club to look at in this sense within Europe is Ajax who DO bring back past greats for this position but make the, go through the process of learning the trade.

15 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Why Leonardo was ever deemed as a good option for sporting director is beyond me. Why?

Anyway... He'll probably be going back to the comfort zone of PSG.

I don´t think he did a bad job. Players that he brought to Milan, such as Paquetá, Piatek, Caldara and Bakayoko could play an important role for the club in the long run. 

Apparently, Leonardo left Milan because he and Gazidis didn´t get along well. 

PSG, under Leonardo, will probably raid Serie A for many good youngsters. Dude is smart and know how to convince players.

6 hours ago, El Profesor said:

I don´t think he did a bad job. Players that he brought to Milan, such as Paquetá, Piatek, Caldara and Bakayoko could play an important role for the club in the long run. 

Apparently, Leonardo left Milan because he and Gazidis didn´t get along well. 

PSG, under Leonardo, will probably raid Serie A for many good youngsters. Dude is smart and know how to convince players.

Mate, Milan has been a total and utter disaster for years in the signing players issue. It goes further back than Leonardo anyway and Milan have many other problems. But their signing policy has been a joke.

It's actually ironic Gazidis is now there because Milan are an exaggerated and extreme version of Arsenal.

7 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

So that's yet another director for Milan... Yet another inconclusive job title and yet another recycled personnel guy. What he and Maldini will actually do remains unclear.

Well Maldini was in Madrid (Santiago Bernabéu) today with Boban and apparently there was some kind of negotiation was going on. When a journalist shouted up at the window they could be seen at; "how's it going?", Maldini answered back; "It's going well!".

Archived