talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Is Van Dijk Really That Great?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They gave it to Modric last year despite him being below average for most of the year. Ironically the better playmaker and the best playmaker last year was Messi as he played a little deeper but they penalised him for it. xD

3 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Balon D'Or is an award for the player who scores the most and who is the most popular. Goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders who don't score are irrelevant.

Cannovaro won it mate. But that was a year everybody was taking his performances.

I do get a feeling there's a similar level of universal praise for VVD this year, although personally I'd say it was a bit over the top.

Just now, Harry said:

Cannovaro won it mate. But that was a year everybody was taking his performances.

I do get a feeling there's a similar level of universal praise for VVD this year, although personally I'd say it was a bit over the top.

He did mate 13 years ago because Italy won the World Cup. See the trend in the past two decades.

Last 20 years:

One defender, five midfielders and 14 strikers /players who score goals.

There should be a Balon D'Or for a keeper, defender, midfielder and striker

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Why over the top? Hes been nothing short of outstanding and deserves all the praise he gets. 

36 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why over the top? Hes been nothing short of outstanding and deserves all the praise he gets. 

I agree with that for sure but at times it's sounded like he's had the single greatest year of any defender in history and that is pure hyperbole.

He's an absolute legend. My second favourite player and I wouldn't swap him for anyone. But there are a number of awesome defenders around and I don't think the quality gap at CB between Virgil and the rest of the world is as pronounced as is being made out.... definitely there have been years since cannovaro last won the balon dor as a defender where someone has had a year comparable to VVD this year.

Still though I'd give him the award as I think it should go to defenders more often than it does.

• The title was changed to Is Van Dijk Really That Great?
On 08/06/2019 at 21:16, Harry said:

I don't think any award should be that boring. Messi is a great player but there are many worthy of recognition each year.

I'd also suggest if Messi truly was as great as deserving the award every year both Barcelona and Argentina should have won a shit ton more silverware. Argentina have won nothing at all, and Barcelona despite being an incredibly strong side continue to wilt under serious challenge year after year.

That's also me believing the player most influential in the winning of footballs greatest team prizes should generally be the frontrunner for the individual award.

What's a team winning silverware have anything to do with individual performances? Just look at your tie with Barca. Messi scored twice and created 10+ chances both legs, yet Barca still couldn't win. What more does he need to do when it's a team effort? 

I too believe the Balon d'Or should be awarded to the most influential player throughout the calendar year, but yet again it all falls down to Messi. 
1200.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

What's a team winning silverware have anything to do with individual performances? Just look at your tie with Barca. Messi scored twice and created 10+ chances both legs, yet Barca still couldn't win. What more does he need to do when it's a team effort? 

I too believe the Balon d'Or should be awarded to the most influential player throughout the calendar year, but yet again it all falls down to Messi. 
1200.jpg

Because the aim of playing is to win tournaments. A year where the big tournaments are won and a single name rings out above all others in that achievement are the years the Ballon D'Or should be going with the team that wins silverware imo.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Because the aim of playing is to win tournaments. A year where the big tournaments are won and a single name rings out above all others in that achievement are the years the Ballon D'Or should be going with the team that wins silverware imo.

He's dragged a mediocre Barca to another league title? 

Van Dijk himself has said Messi deserves it and infact practically every player questioned on it has said the same over the past couple of weeks. Only someone that hasn’t watched Barcelona this season can say otherwise. Nothing against players in different positions being awarded the Ballon d’Or but it doesn’t come down to the Champions League when we’re talking a whole year and let’s not forget this is a team sport. Messi practically carried the team in the final months and had Barcelona not even won anything I’d feel he deserves it for that as they arrived at the final stages of everything and won La Liga. 

12 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

De Ligt has been better than Van Dijk anyway. If anyone deserves it other than Messi, it’s him with even de Jong coming above the Liverpool defender for me. Relativity does exist!

De Ligt better than VVD this season? Dont talk wet xD

De Ligt is a promising player but let's not pretend that hes been nothing short of average in games that have mattered towards the end of the season. 

Looks slow and lumbering to me, certainly not a patch on VVD. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

You can compare VVD's season to any of the premier league greats. 

You know I saw this on twitter today and i wish i could find the tweet where they compared the season just passed to the one Vidic had in 08/09. I think VVD is a great CB but then you look at Vidic that year and its better in certain areas. What it doesn't show I suppose is the breadth of competition also offered at the time and the quality of games.

Edit: NVM found it

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

You know I saw this on twitter today and i wish i could find the tweet where they compared the season just passed to the one Vidic had in 08/09. I think VVD is a great CB but then you look at Vidic that year and its better in certain areas. What it doesn't show I suppose is the breadth of competition also offered at the time and the quality of games.

Edit: NVM found it

Have some respect on Titus Bramble please. 

9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

De Ligt better than VVD this season? Dont talk wet xD

De Ligt is a promising player but let's not pretend that hes been nothing short of average in games that have mattered towards the end of the season. 

Looks slow and lumbering to me, certainly not a patch on VVD. 

De Ligt and De Jong have taken a kid’s side to the Semi-Final of the Champions League whipping the winners of the last three editions 1-4 at the Santiago Bernabéu and winning the League and Dutch Cup double.

Now give me tangible evidence of your pov? Do it with reality backed up by facts!

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Have some respect on Titus Bramble please. 

Haha saw that in the tweet trails list too and then you have to really question the stats and what they tell of the time. Anyone that watched United during the time can safely say he probably didn't have to deal with as much as Titus would have. That Vidic vs VVD stat could also state that VVD is the kind of defender who is better at judging the game and positioning as well who knows.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

De Ligt and De Jong have taken a kid’s side to the Semi-Final of the Champions League whipping the winners of the last three editions 1-4 at the Santiago Bernabéu and winning the League and Dutch Cup double.

Now give me tangible evidence of your pov? Do it with reality backed up by facts!

Which defender made more mistakes leading to goals this season?

Just now, SirBalon said:

De Ligt is 19... Where do you want to go with this?

Well you said he was better, so where do you want to go with this? He’s either a kid that’s entitled to make mistakes or he’s better than VVD, he’s not both

VVD is part of a great side, a team built meticulously by its coach and I am a massive fan of what’s occurring there. But to compare what Ajax have achieved with a couple of very special players this season with VVD’s achievement at Liverpool have achieved at a club with five times the resources requires nothing less than simple understanding.  

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well you said he was better, so where do you want to go with this? He’s either a kid that’s entitled to make mistakes or he’s better than VVD, he’s not both

VVD didn’t make a mistake all season?

That’s a ridiculous argument.

Archived