talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gianni Infantino Faces Legal Proceedings From Switzerland

football forum

• Subscriber

1398120081_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.f77d49279a7a221484e20cc5e4b8e7e0.png

Gianni Infantino has been re-elected as president of football's world governing body Fifa for a second term.

The Swiss-Italian, 49, was re-elected until 2023 without opposition at Fifa's annual congress in Paris.

He succeeded Sepp Blatter in 2016 and has increased the number of teams at the 2026 World Cup and proposed key changes to the Club World Cup.

Ex-president Blatter was in charge for 17 years until he was banned amid a corruption scandal in 2015.

Infantino's re-election was marked by a round of applause after rules were changed earlier in the day to no longer require a vote from Fifa's 211 members if only one candidate was standing.

In a lengthy speech at the congress, Infantino focussed on the relative calm of his first term in charge compared to the situation he inherited.

"Nobody talks about a crisis at Fifa any more or rebuilding it from scratch," he said.

"Nobody talks about scandals or corruption, we talk about football. We can say that we've turned the situation around.

"This organisation has gone from being toxic, almost criminal, to being what it should be - an organisation that develops football and is now synonymous with transparency, integrity."

Former Uefa secretary general Infantino was behind the expansion of the World Cup from 32 teams to 48 for the 2026 tournament, which will be held in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Plans to bring the expansion forward to the 2022 World Cup were however abandoned last month.

In March, Fifa approved Infantino's plans for a 24-team Club World Cup starting in 2021, despite top European clubs saying they would boycott the tournament.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48524088

• The title was changed to Gianni Infantino Re-elected as FIFA President
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53598206

Swiss prosecutors have launched legal proceedings against Fifa president Gianni Infantino.

It is in relation to an alleged secret meeting the head of world football's governing body held with the Swiss attorney general Michael Lauber.

Lauber last week offered to resign after a court said he covered up the meeting and lied to supervisors during an investigation by his office into corruption surrounding Fifa.

Both have denied any wrongdoing.

Lauber's office said he officially tendered his resignation on Tuesday, with his last day of active duty set for 31 August.

It comes after special prosecutor Stefan Keller was appointed last month to review criminal complaints against the two men and others.

He found indications of criminal conduct related to their meetings, the authority overseeing the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) said.

"This concerns abuse of public office, breach of official secrecy, assisting offenders and incitement to these acts," the watchdog overseeing the OAG said in a statement.

The OAG said it had taken note of the development, adding Lauber would make statements to parliamentary committees if necessary.

The watchdog said Keller had now opened proceedings against both Infantino and a regional public prosecutor who was involved in the meetings, and was seeking parliamentary approval to have Lauber's immunity from prosecution waived.

• The title was changed to Gianni Infantino Faces Legal Proceedings From Switzerland

Remember when we said nobody could be worse than Blatter?

That settles that. No more Europeans in charge of FIFA. I'd say no South Americans either judging from the utter shite that goes on in CONMEBOL.

Just now, Mpache said:

Remember when we said nobody could be worse than Blatter?

That settles that. No more Europeans in charge of FIFA. I'd say no South Americans either judging from the utter shite that goes on in CONMEBOL.

Or just better voting and higher standards. 

Just because Blatter and Gianni are corrupt, doesn't mean all Europeans are....

I know you're very anti-Euro-centric, but even that is too much. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Or just better voting and higher standards. 

Just because Blatter and Gianni are corrupt, doesn't mean all Europeans are....

I know you're very anti-Euro-centric, but even that is too much. 

I was hoping I wouldn't get a comment like this, but I'm judging it on what goes on in UEFA (and CONMEBOL for that matter). Too many pothead and corrupt ideas. I wasn't trying to sound racist in any way.

Not saying the other federations are better mind, but they seem to have less of these "ideas" than UEFA does.

2 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I was hoping I wouldn't get a comment like this, but I'm judging it on what goes on in UEFA (and CONMEBOL for that matter). Too many pothead and corrupt ideas. I wasn't trying to sound racist in any way.

Not saying the other federations are better mind, but they seem to have less of these "ideas" than UEFA does.

Ah, well then you might should have spent 2 seconds just making sure your exact thoughts were conveyed. xD

Certainly their needs to be a restructure of how this is done to eliminate the corruption in it. 

Archived