talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gianluigi Buffon - Leaves PSG; Parma & Brescia interested

football forum

Official: Buffon rejects PSG renewal

Gianluigi Buffon will not remain at Paris Saint-Germain for the 2019-20 season, confirmed the club. “My adventure outside Italy comes to an end.”

The former Parma and Juventus star had tried out a new experience in Ligue 1 at the age of 40, but will not extend the contract that expires on June 30.

“Following joint discussions, Paris Saint-Germain and Gianluigi Buffon have agreed to not renew the legendary goalkeeper's contract which expires on 30 June 2019,” read a statement.

“Paris Saint-Germain is honoured to have had the greatest goalkeeper in the history of football at the club, a 2006 World Cup winner with many individual awards since the start of his career. The club also wishes the unforgettable "Gigi" the best in his personal projects that now await him.”

Intriguingly, the statement Buffon released on his personal Instagram and the one on the club website are slightly different, as a couple of phrases were excised.

“Today my adventure outside Italy comes to an end: PSG proposed a contract renewal that I did not feel ready to accept, pushed by my desire to prepare for new personal experiences and new professional challenges.”

Buffon also spoke to the official PSG website about his time at the club.

"Thank you all for everything I have had the opportunity to experience in Paris. Thank you for the emotions that we have shared together.

“Twelve months ago, I arrived at Paris Saint-Germain filled with enthusiasm, welcomed by the incredible warmth of the fans. It was really moving. Thank you, once again, from the bottom of my heart.

“I leave happy to have enjoyed this experience, which has undoubtedly helped me to grow. Today my adventure outside Italy comes to an end.

“I would like to thank the chairman Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, the whole club and my teammates. I wish you all the best, convinced that together you will write the pages of a wonderful story.

“Ernest Hemingway wrote that there are only two places in the world where people can live happily: at home and in Paris. Today onwards, this will also apply to me: Paris, in some way, will always remain my home... Allez Paris! Thank you and good luck with everything!”

This phrasing suggests either Buffon has decided to retire, or he will continue to play in Italy, having been linked with his first club Parma.

"I will never forget the pride that everyone at Paris Saint-Germain, both the club and the fans, felt when they saw Gianluigi Buffon wearing our jersey," said Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, Chairman and CEO of Paris Saint-Germain.

“For the first time in his fabulous career, Gianluigi had made the brave choice to leave Italy, struck by our ambitious and modern project.

“During his time at PSG he brought his phenomenal experience and his sense of professionalism not only to his teammates but also to all areas of the club. We will miss his warm and open personality here at the club.

“Gigi will forever remain among the football giants who have worn the Paris Saint-Germain colours and shared the values of the club.

“We will be honoured to welcome him again next year, along with other former players, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of our club.”

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Gone back to where it all began for him. A romantic ending to his career and I like that because his legend deserves it.

Yes. I am so happy for him, especially if he does go to Parma for 1 year before calling it quits. The man will get a very long and well deserved standing ovation everywhere he goes. 

The last of the true great Italian legends still playing. 

Proper way to draw his career to a close. I was a bit disappointed last year first of all with the fall out from the CL semis and then he joined PSG; he never struck me as the type to do either, but neither should cloud his legacy, and fair play to him for now returning home to see out what has been one of the greatest careers we will ever see from a footballer.

He is my favourite footballer ever from outside the Rovers camp and it will be such a sad day when he calls it quits. For the last 20 years we've had debates over who the best keeper in the world is - Schmeichel, Kahn, van der Sar, Valdes, Casillias, de Gea, Neuer: through all of those debates Buffon was always the other name in contention, incredible how he managed to play at the very top of his profession for two decades. He's probably the last great name left playing from the greats I grew up watching - Figo, Raul, Totti, Nesta, Henry, Shevchenko etc. Makes me feel fucking old xD

I was looking at the caps he has, 176 which lead me to an interesting discovery. All of Italy's centurions have played in this decade, save for Maldini (2002) and Zoff (83).

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

I was looking at the caps he has, 176 which lead me to an interesting discovery. All of Italy's centurions have played in this decade, save for Maldini (2002) and Zoff (83).

I think his generation of Italian football will likely go down as the greatest. SOOOOO many legends. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

I think his generation of Italian football will likely go down as the greatest. SOOOOO many legends. 

It could be that they competition for places was less significant leading to players amassing more caps.

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

It could be that they competition for places was less significant leading to players amassing more caps.

Totti, Nesta, Pirlo, Del Piero, De Rossi, Buffon, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Zambrotta, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Toni, Materazzi

And that's leaving out Vieri and Maldini.

That is one hell of a generation. 

8 minutes ago, Eco said:

Totti, Nesta, Pirlo, Del Piero, De Rossi, Buffon, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Zambrotta, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Toni, Materazzi

And that's leaving out Vieri and Maldini.

That is one hell of a generation. 

I feel like my dad will disagree and say the late 80s/early 90s Italy was better.

But personally, I have no idea. Italy sure knew how to produce some quality fucking footballers.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I feel like my dad will disagree and say the late 80s/early 90s Italy was better.

But personally, I have no idea. Italy sure knew how to produce some quality fucking footballers.

I'd love to hear his reasoning. 

Buffon, Del Piero, Maldini, Pirlo, and Cannavaro are the best ever from Italy in their positions (Sorry Zoff)

• The title was changed to Gianluigi Buffon - Leaves PSG; Parma & Brescia interested
Report: Brescia move for Buffon

Serie A new boys Brescia have reportedly made an offer for Gianluigi Buffon as he targets a return to Italy.

According to La Repubblica, Brescia are the first club to submit a ‘serious’ proposal for Buffon following his exit from Paris Saint-Germain.

The newspaper adds the goalkeeper talked to Francesco Totti on the final day of last season at the Olimpico but that the conversation did not develop into interest on Roma’s part.

Elsewhere on the peninsula, Lazio and Genoa could also be about to enter the fray, with the 41-year-old’s agent admitting the two sides were in his heart.

Sky Sport Italia, on the other hand, claims the US and China are possible destinations if he decides to continue playing.

Failing that, the Juventus and Italy icon could take the directorial route.

57 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

He should have a go in Spain as I reckon a few clubs would gladly take him in and give him first team football.

definitely can do a better job than courtois at Real

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

He should have a go in Spain as I reckon a few clubs would gladly take him in and give him first team football.

If he does just 1 year. Brecia or Parma make the most sense from a nostalgia point of view. 

• Subscriber

Hes an Italian legend both at club level as well as for his country. Retiring anywhere except Italy seems like a crime in all honesty. Parma is just the icing on the cake and I think hes the kind of guy who would want to end it there too. 

On 05/06/2019 at 17:29, Eco said:

I'd love to hear his reasoning. 

Buffon, Del Piero, Maldini, Pirlo, and Cannavaro are the best ever from Italy in their positions (Sorry Zoff)

My dad thinks teams from his era > teams from our era. I think he's wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked

Archived