The better place to talk football.

When they see us - Central park 5

football forum

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Finished this the other day.

Going to be bold here. I would say this is up there with the best TV I have seen this year.

Absolutely gripped. So intense. For someone who knew so little about the events beforehand, I am amazed what I've learnt.

The performances from the child actors were of an exceptionally high standard but there is no doubt, the lad who plays Koreey Wise as a kid through to adult steals the show.

Only a 4 parter, and yet so cleverly constructed to tell the tale from all perspectives.

And even more amazing was the hour long show with Oprah Winfrey interviewing the cast as well as the real life people involved.

I don't usually go 'all in' and champion many series, but I urge anyone to watch this. 

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Lucas said:

Finished this the other day.

Going to be bold here. I would say this is up there with the best TV I have seen this year.

Absolutely gripped. So intense. For someone who knew so little about the events beforehand, I am amazed what I've learnt.

The performances from the child actors were of an exceptionally high standard but there is no doubt, the lad who plays Koreey Wise as a kid through to adult steals the show.

Only a 4 parter, and yet so cleverly constructed to tell the tale from all perspectives.

And even more amazing was the hour long show with Oprah Winfrey interviewing the cast as well as the real life people involved.

I don't usually go 'all in' and champion many series, but I urge anyone to watch this. 

I put it above 7 seconds. You can watch the actual real interviews of the innocent suspects on Youtube, the full interviews from police.

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Finished watching this (thanks to plane journeys) over the past few days. Absolutely sensational in terms of storyline for several reasons and the way the show is portrayed, as well as the actors playing young and adult versions of the 5.

It's also incredibly disconcerting and eye-opening what they had to go through as kids against racist cops, growing up with that life in jail and coming out not hating every soul on earth as if the world was against them. The humility they show is far more moving and emotional than what the cops/detectives ever showed in terms of their arrogance and stubbornness, even several years after the investigation took place. 

I genuinely feel sorry for what they had to go through. 

Like @Lucas above I had no idea about the story before watching so it was shocking in so many ways throughout. Also meant I didn't know this Matias Reyes existed or his role to play. Coincidence he ends up in same prison as Korey (who was superb in being able to play a kid and an adult!). That moment in the show where Reyes comes to fruition and you realise his role in the thing is so moving and almost jaw-dropping.

I implore so many to watch it. It mirrors the attitude of some cops in America these days and how institutionally racist it is in some parts. Genuinely gripping series. 

Archived