talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle Promoted Back To Premier League

1 hour ago, Any O'Brien said:

If he left tomorrow he would leave as one of my favourite people associated with NUFC. Not just a top manager but a top bloke as well.

Hope he loves NUFC as much as we love him.

He does, and managers that know what the club means to the fans are few and far between. I don't think anyone will ever topple the love I have for Chris Hughton, but Rafa certainly comes close.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

If he left tomorrow he would leave as one of my favourite people associated with NUFC. Not just a top manager but a top bloke as well.

Hope he loves NUFC as much as we love him.

Yeah, he's an excellent man as well as a good manager. His reputation in England has taken a beating from our press, pretty unjustly imo. Let's not forget his time at Liverpool came about because he revealed how bad of a financial situation the club were in under Gillett and Hicks, and he could have done the easy thing and kept his mouth shut and been a yes man. But he shed light on some of the behind the scenes stuff at Liverpool, which energised a lot of our fanbase to care more Gillett and Hicks, noticing what banks they were going to asking for the clubs for loans - and then organising campaigns to stop these banks from giving loans to them. It stopped the shite owners from being able to kick the can on going into administration, and postpone it for a different day. It made their ownership of the club untenable (as we were staring administration in the face) and a sale was forced by the man they appointed to oversee and authorise a sale of the club.

So aside from Istanbul, the Gerrard FA cup, some of the best football (if not the best football) and most definitely the best Liverpool side assembled in my lifetime, he also played a massive part in saving my club from a very very shite situation. I fucking love Rafa, most of us love him (some of them still blame him from us regressing post-Alonso sale and dealing with the worst of G&H - I think that's stupid), and I was gutted when he was sacked. With hindsight it looks like a terrible decision... and at the time I thought it was a terrible decision. That mistake has likely set us back years.

I hope the press gives him a bit more fucking respect, considering other managers might have jumped ship after your relegation and instead he stuck by with the club and secured promotion. I must say... I was thinking about how dramatic being a Newcastle fan might be when you compare the past few decades to the more recent years where you've bounced up and down and back up. But then I was thinking... imagine being Leeds or Nottingham Forest fans though xD

The thing is people in this country are idiots. There were people on Twitter saying last Summer "Rafa doesn't know the league and he will struggle" and the same mongs are now refusing to give him any credit because we should have walked it.

Yes, we spent big money in the Summer but we replaced a team's worth of players. We also made a huge profit because of the players that left us. From June last year to August last year he replaced a team full of players and also took us from being a club with a losers mentality and turned us into a club that wants to battle and win games. We have some quality players I don't deny that but that doesn't mean you're guaranteed to "walk the league". The amount of change this club oversaw in the Summer yet we have been promoted and nearly won the league. Last time we went down we kept basically the same team and it helped big time. 

Rafa deserves credit for getting the job done, he hasn't worked any miracles but he has proven himself at a level that as people pointed out he isn't used to and he deserves respect for that too. It's been clear that he always demands more and always demands better when we drop points or even after victories. Previous managers have made pathetic excuses for the team not winning.

If he's here 5 year I think he will end our trophy drought, the League Cup or FA Cup. There'd be a fucking statue of him in Newcastle city centre.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah, he's an excellent man as well as a good manager. His reputation in England has taken a beating from our press, pretty unjustly imo. Let's not forget his time at Liverpool came about because he revealed how bad of a financial situation the club were in under Gillett and Hicks, and he could have done the easy thing and kept his mouth shut and been a yes man. But he shed light on some of the behind the scenes stuff at Liverpool, which energised a lot of our fanbase to care more Gillett and Hicks, noticing what banks they were going to asking for the clubs for loans - and then organising campaigns to stop these banks from giving loans to them. It stopped the shite owners from being able to kick the can on going into administration, and postpone it for a different day. It made their ownership of the club untenable (as we were staring administration in the face) and a sale was forced by the man they appointed to oversee and authorise a sale of the club.

So aside from Istanbul, the Gerrard FA cup, some of the best football (if not the best football) and most definitely the best Liverpool side assembled in my lifetime, he also played a massive part in saving my club from a very very shite situation. I fucking love Rafa, most of us love him (some of them still blame him from us regressing post-Alonso sale and dealing with the worst of G&H - I think that's stupid), and I was gutted when he was sacked. With hindsight it looks like a terrible decision... and at the time I thought it was a terrible decision. That mistake has likely set us back years.

I hope the press gives him a bit more fucking respect, considering other managers might have jumped ship after your relegation and instead he stuck by with the club and secured promotion. I must say... I was thinking about how dramatic being a Newcastle fan might be when you compare the past few decades to the more recent years where you've bounced up and down and back up. But then I was thinking... imagine being Leeds or Nottingham Forest fans though xD

Genuinely didn't know that. My opinion of the bloke has shot up. I've got a lot of respect for that. Really did put the club first.

• Subscriber

Out of interest, what are you expecting to spend? I'm quite intrigued by what you do this summer. I think you're the first promoted side since the new TV deal who really will throw big money at it. Hull were a shambles, Middlesbrough didn't spend a great deal, Burnley have spent a bit but nothing major. You won't catch any of those three throwing £30mil at a player and I reckon you would.

Was listening to Talksport earlier and a Newcastle fan said they need to spend £150mil to stay up next year. I can't be the only one who would expect a bit more than just survival for that kind of outlay.

There's a lot of shite in the Premier League and teams like Burnley and Watford can stay up without having to sign amazing players.

Some of our fans want a whole new team because only about 3 or 4 players can actually say they've had a great season. (Ritchie, Shelvey, Gayle and maybe Clark).

I think we need to be patient and progress across 3 transfer windows towards the top 8. Start with 3 or 4 big first team signings this summer totaling £60-80m. Add a £15-20m player in each of the windows after that as was the plan when Keegan came back years ago under Ashley.

Also someone like Michael Carrick on a free for a year might be a smart move.

• Subscriber

That's my thinking too. I'd expect any team, even if it was Reading, who spent £150mil in the summer to have minimal relegation trouble. There is value out there.

People under-estimate the collective effort of a team. You reel off a lot of your players and you don't think 'wow' but they can work in the right system. I'm talking the equivalent to players like Albrighton & Simpson for us. Not the sort of players you'd pay a lot for but the sort who can make a team tick.

It still surprises me you got Ritchie. How highly do you rate him? I always saw him as one of these players I liked and couldn't believe dropped a division. I remember him looking the best player on the pitch when we beat Dagenham in a cup game in 2008.

Ritchie has been quality, everything about him. He has had a few quiet games but overall I would say he's been our best player. Has picked us up and dragged us through games at times - Wigan and Burton at home. I love his attitude though, always giving 100%, always making his mouth go although sometimes to referees pointlessly. 

If we look at his resume Rafa has always succeeded when given time and patience. Success at Liverpool, Valencia, and to a certain extent at Napoli came over a few years not overnight. I thought he was very solid and very calming at Chelsea as well. For some reason a lot of Chelsea supporters have a stick up their arse concerning Benetiz.

8 minutes ago, Spike said:

If we look at his resume Rafa has always succeeded when given time and patience. Success at Liverpool, Valencia, and to a certain extent at Napoli came over a few years not overnight. I thought he was very solid and very calming at Chelsea as well. For some reason a lot of Chelsea supporters have a stick up their arse concerning Benetiz.

He succeeded and Liverpool and Valencia. Complete failure at Napoli though. I can't believe neutrals still defend the job he did there.

19 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

He succeeded and Liverpool and Valencia. Complete failure at Napoli though. I can't believe neutrals still defend the job he did there.

Don't you dare celebrate that cup win then. 

Just now, Spike said:

Don't you dare celebrate that cup win then. 

I find it baffling that people defend Rafa's job at Napoli. I rarely criticize other people's views but anyone who defends Rafa at Napoli don't have a clue what was going on at the club.

He spent over 200M and took Napoli from 2nd to 5th. He bottled a free pass to the Europa League final against Dnipro, and couldn't beat Bilbao to get to the UCL group stages. That's the obvious stuff. However, some of the things he said in the Italian press were downright embarrassing. The most memorable example was when the fans were pointing out that the defence was the issue with Napoli dropping many points and Rafa saw that. He laughed it off and said that no defensive changes would be made. What was the result? More points dropped and less clean sheets. 

Besides, did you even consider the players he had at his disposal that were shite under his reign? Higuain, Callejon, Hamsik, Mertens and Insigne. Yet, all 5 looked absolutely clueless with them showing the odd sign of brilliance. The good thing that came from Rafa was that he attracted some of these players but what's the point of that if you don't even have a clue how to use them? His judgement that second season was also abysmal. I don't know in what world he thought Michu and Lopez were good enough for Napoli. He also tried to build Liverpool 2.0, as Napoli was constantly linked with ex Liverpool or current Liverpool players. It was unbearable. Lastly, I've lost count how many points we lost at home to absolute dross. 

The cup win was irrelavent. It was a nice win as any cup is, but Mazzarri won it 2 years prior to it so that took away from it a bit. He bottled nearly every important match he went into and the only time it was going well was at the very beginning where Napoli was flying and got unlucky to get knocked out in the UCL groups. But he was awful, and most Napoli fans you will meet will tell you the same. After that first half of the first season he never showed any signs of a good manager and I find it hilarious that people are actually still trying to defend the job he did at Napoli.

I'm not going to comment on Newcastle as the fans are very happy for him and there's probably something behind the scenes that I'm missing just like you are with his time at Napoli. I also don't follow the championship so I don't have a place to comment, but I can comment for Napoli and can here tell you that, he succeeded at Valencia, he succeeded at Liverpool, he even succeeded at Chelsea. He failed at Napoli. End of.

3 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I find it baffling that people defend Rafa's job at Napoli. I rarely criticize other people's views but anyone who defends Rafa at Napoli don't have a clue what was going on at the club.

He spent over 200M and took Napoli from 2nd to 5th. He bottled a free pass to the Europa League final against Dnipro, and couldn't beat Bilbao to get to the UCL group stages. That's the obvious stuff. However, some of the things he said in the Italian press were downright embarrassing. The most memorable example was when the fans were pointing out that the defence was the issue with Napoli dropping many points and Rafa saw that. He laughed it off and said that no defensive changes would be made. What was the result? More points dropped and less clean sheets. 

Besides, did you even consider the players he had at his disposal that were shite under his reign? Higuain, Callejon, Hamsik, Mertens and Insigne. Yet, all 5 looked absolutely clueless with them showing the odd sign of brilliance. The good thing that came from Rafa was that he attracted some of these players but what's the point of that if you don't even have a clue how to use them? His judgement that second season was also abysmal. I don't know in what world he thought Michu and Lopez were good enough for Napoli. He also tried to build Liverpool 2.0, as Napoli was constantly linked with ex Liverpool or current Liverpool players. It was unbearable. Lastly, I've lost count how many points we lost at home to absolute dross. 

The cup win was irrelavent. It was a nice win as any cup is, but Mazzarri won it 2 years prior to it so that took away from it a bit. He bottled nearly every important match he went into and the only time it was going well was at the very beginning where Napoli was flying and got unlucky to get knocked out in the UCL groups. But he was awful, and most Napoli fans you will meet will tell you the same. After that first half of the first season he never showed any signs of a good manager and I find it hilarious that people are actually still trying to defend the job he did at Napoli.

I'm not going to comment on Newcastle as the fans are very happy for him and there's probably something behind the scenes that I'm missing just like you are with his time at Napoli. I also don't follow the championship so I don't have a place to comment, but I can comment for Napoli and can here tell you that, he succeeded at Valencia, he succeeded at Liverpool, he even succeeded at Chelsea. He failed at Napoli. End of.

Better give that cup back then. You don't deserve it.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

The arrogance and entitlement of this generation is astounding. 

Believe as you want to, but to me Rafa is a shit manager who's had his glory days just like Wenger. Just my opinion. He was awful at Napoli, cup win or not. End of.

Peace out

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Believe as you want to, but to me Rafa is a shit manager who's had his glory days just like Wenger. Just my opinion. He was awful at Napoli, cup win or not. End of.

Peace out

Nah.

Archived