talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle Promoted Back To Premier League

On 26/04/2017 at 2:36 AM, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I find it baffling that people defend Rafa's job at Napoli. I rarely criticize other people's views but anyone who defends Rafa at Napoli don't have a clue what was going on at the club. He spent over 200M and took Napoli from 2nd to 5th. He bottled a free pass to the Europa League final against Dnipro, and couldn't beat Bilbao to get to the UCL group stages. That's the obvious stuff. However, some of the things he said in the Italian press were downright embarrassing. The most memorable example was when the fans were pointing out that the defence was the issue with Napoli dropping many points and Rafa saw that. He laughed it off and said that no defensive changes would be made. What was the result? More points dropped and less clean sheets.

A fall from second to fifth? Shock horror. You're willing to place that completely on Rafa? There's more to a team's success than just their manager. Look at the Premier League last year... did Leicester win the title because of Ranieri alone? Did they fuck. Also Napoli under Rafa had some good defensive options like Christian Maggio, Raúl Albiol and Faouzi Ghoulam. Not too shabby for a team who aren't drowning in money. You also fail to account for the players who left and funded the rough €200m he spent: Cavani went to PSG for €64.5m and Lavezzi left the season before leaving another €30m or thereabouts. Overall I'd say Benitez did a pretty good job seeming as such a small movement over a couple of seasons would go bearly unnoticed amongst other clubs of Napoli's stature.

Besides, did you even consider the players he had at his disposal that were shite under his reign? Higuain, Callejon, Hamsik, Mertens and Insigne. Yet, all 5 looked absolutely clueless with them showing the odd sign of brilliance. The good thing that came from Rafa was that he attracted some of these players but what's the point of that if you don't even have a clue how to use them? His judgement that second season was also abysmal. I don't know in what world he thought Michu and Lopez were good enough for Napoli. He also tried to build Liverpool 2.0, as Napoli was constantly linked with ex Liverpool or current Liverpool players. It was unbearable. Lastly, I've lost count how many points we lost at home to absolute dross.

Higuain came in for €40m and was sold on for €90m for Juve. I really don't think they'd have been willing to pay such a high return had the player been shit: he scored 53 goals in 104 games under Benitez which when you think about it is great.   Dries Mertens scored nearly one in three too and was already there whilst Callejon got nearly one in four and was already there. Looking at the stats Marek Hamšík played similarly to how he did under Mazzarri going by his stats alone and Insigne wasn't awful considering he didn't start hitting in the goals under just last season after moving around from club to club on loan spells. The stats don't lie. Aside from Higuain all five of them were at Napoli when Benitez came. As for Michu his form for Swansea had been amazing and had attracted the likes of Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona to name a few. Until his unfortunate injury which threw his career Michu was looking absolutely outstadning hence the interest. The way you talk about players not being up to Napoli's standard makes you sound like a pretentious bourgeoisie arsewipe.

That Liverpool comment cracked me up by the way. Rafa knew he could get class like Reina into the club for realtively little and having work closely with players in previous years it was a wise move.

The cup win was irrelavent. It was a nice win as any cup is, but Mazzarri won it 2 years prior to it so that took away from it a bit. He bottled nearly every important match he went into and the only time it was going well was at the very beginning where Napoli was flying and got unlucky to get knocked out in the UCL groups. But he was awful, and most Napoli fans you will meet will tell you the same. After that first half of the first season he never showed any signs of a good manager and I find it hilarious that people are actually still trying to defend the job he did at Napoli.

'The cup win was irrelevant' is the most contrived bullshit I've seen so far. I'm sure that's what Barcelona think when they win the Champions League or what Portsmouth though when they won the FA Cup a few years ago. No matter what the trophy nor how soon it's been won after another is irrelevant. Fans of the likes of Fiorentina or Atlanta would have most likely been ecstatic in the situation and you're trying to tell me the Napoli fans weren't happy with it?

I'm not going to comment on Newcastle as the fans are very happy for him and there's probably something behind the scenes that I'm missing just like you are with his time at Napoli. I also don't follow the championship so I don't have a place to comment, but I can comment for Napoli and can here tell you that, he succeeded at Valencia, he succeeded at Liverpool, he even succeeded at Chelsea. He failed at Napoli. End of.

Fuck me. You really are disillusioned. Anyone would think Rafa stole your hamster.

The reason he's been met with gratitude at Newcastle is because he's a good manager just as he was at Napoli. Also talking of good things behind the scenes at Newcaslte shows arrogance. As I'm sure the Newcastle fans could tell you Mike Ashley is by no means an ideal owner with a dispicable resumé if you could call it that and the current squad is by no means perfect. A failure would have been getting you relegated. He did a fine job. End of.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not even going to bother replying to such bollocks. The argument was done and dusted and most Napoli fans you meet would agree that he failed at the club. 

Most would stop reading at the fact that you compared Napoli to Leicester given one was a fairy tale story and the other was a team that's been finishing second for years now. I read all the way and its a load of shite from start to finish.

I've already said he is an OK manager but anyone who says he did a good job at Napoli and base that off his Coppa Italia win alone shows a lack of knowledge on the matter. He was abysmal.

On 26/04/2017 at 2:43 AM, Spike said:

The arrogance and entitlement of this generation is astounding. 

That's all I can say. As always Spike sums it up perfectly.

14 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Not even going to bother replying to such bollocks. The argument was done and dusted and most Napoli fans you meet would agree that he failed at the club. 

Most would stop reading at the fact that you compared Napoli to Leicester given one was a fairy tale story and the other was a team that's been finishing second for years now. I read all the way and its a load of shite from start to finish.

I've already said he is an OK manager but anyone who says he did a good job at Napoli and base that off his Coppa Italia win alone shows a lack of knowledge on the matter. He was abysmal.

This is a reply. :dam:

2 minutes ago, Cure said:

That's all I can say. As always Spike sums it up perfectly.

You're a fucking idiot xD

I'm not criticizing you for saying Rafa did a good job at Napoli although that is an idiotic opinion to have as anyone who was following the club on a consistent basis would know that he did an abysmal job. Like him or not, he was awful. 

The reason I'm criticizing you is because Toony said it best: no one cares. I wasn't planning to come in this thread with Newcastle's league triumph. I doubt it was a wind up either. No one would make a post that long to wind someone up, if it was the only thing I can tell you is to get a life.

Its quite funny, you don't even follow Italian football and yet you're claiming that Rafa did this great job at Napoli without knowing any sort of context and just basing it off that trophy he won and other cherry picked numbers. Its hilarious how Mourinho gets knocked for spending millions and finishing in 4th/5th yet Rafa gets praised for spending millions and taking a team backwards.

I don't want to ruin this thread for anyone else so I'll leave it there. I've already harped on about Rafa enough and nobody cares at the end of the day. 

• Subscriber

Durham comes out with some good stuff every now and then but he really does know how to ruin it. I get the whole Brighton throwing it thing but some of the stuff he was coming out with earlier was beyond belief.

He's a knob that Durham, absolute troll on Twitter but he loves Chris Hughton.

Brighton threw it away too but their intensity dropped after promotion and we needed the wins to ensure ours. Once we got it to the final day I fancied our chances.

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think Rafa wanted assurances that he'd have sufficiant funds available before he'd commit himself to a new contract. 

He must have got those assurances. 

Yeah I've been reading what's been coming from there for a few weeks but like Carragher said, it's just posturing from Benitez, he does it all the time. Newcastle fans didn't need to worry. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4456834/amp/Rafa-Benitez-not-change-never-quit.html

10 hours ago, Aaroncpfc said:

They've taken his point out of context there. What he was getting at was 'Bottle and Hove Albion' lost the league as Jack Grealish's goal was scored once the Newcastle game had finished. Albeit he did pick the wrong person to respond too.

Our game hadn't finished. Grealish goal news came through at the same time as everyone was celebrating Gayle's goal, well, I say celebrating the goal, actually Dwight Gayle decided rather than celebrate the goal he and the rest of us should mock Sunderland xD what a lad

Mike Ashley has very kindly released a statement saying Rafa can have all the money he makes from selling players xD

Archived