talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nicolas Pépé - Lille to Arsenal Transfer Complete

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Really good player, but £70m for a back up? 

Doesn't seem right to me?

You need to read the source you're getting it from. It says Liverpool will only make the move if Salah leaves Anfield. So it's probably bollocks 

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1137101/Liverpool-71m-hijack-Nicolas-Pepe-Mohamed-Salah-transfer-news-Arsenal-Man-Utd-gossip

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Eighty fucking million xD

That is mental. It's unreal really that Lille can hold out for that.

They're very much a club to keep an eye on by the way. They've gotten Monaco's old director in who was largely responsible for their side in 2017 and Lille look to be making similar strides.

Like I said, rumor is bollocks. 

Pepe is essentially a 20 goal per season winger potential wise, why on earth would he go to Liverpool to play second fiddle to Salah and Mane? Bayern makes the most sense for him. Pepe and Sane on the wings will be lethal. 

• 2 weeks later...

City have Sane and Mahrez as options from the bench. We have Lallana and Shaqiri in sort of similiar positions. 

We need to start making signings like this. Yes, our front three are amazing but if you give them no competition at all then eventually they could become unintentionally complacent.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

City have Sane and Mahrez as options from the bench. We have Lallana and Shaqiri in sort of similiar positions. 

We need to start making signings like this. Yes, our front three are amazing but if you give them no competition at all then eventually they could become unintentionally complacent.

I agree. The squad is generally very good but if we're bringing players in let's do it properly and go after someone that genuinely pushes us towards another level

55 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree. The squad is generally very good but if we're bringing players in let's do it properly and go after someone that genuinely pushes us towards another level

If you're talking about established elite players as a possible target ("another level"), then you run the risk of upsetting the apple-cart mate. This part is the most difficult one when you've gone and won the most marketable club trophy on earth with the addition of having been in the final again the previous year (making you established)... Anything on "another level" would only come to be a first team player and from there I don't have to say anymore.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

If you're talking about established elite players as a possible target ("another level"), then you run the risk of upsetting the apple-cart mate. This part is the most difficult one when you've gone and won the most marketable club trophy on earth with the addition of having been in the final again the previous year (making you established)... Anything on "another level" would only come to be a first team player and from there I don't have to say anymore.

I get what you're saying mate but at the same time other clubs that operate in the top tier of that competition with regularity manage to have a much more compelling substitutes bench than ours. Man City, Madrid Barca all have great players to bring on when a change is called for.... We have origi.

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

I get what you're saying mate but at the same time other clubs that operate in the top tier of that competition with regularity manage to have a much more compelling substitutes bench than ours. Man City, Madrid Barca all have great players to bring on when a change is called for.... We have origi.

And Origi has produced telling moments hasn't he?

Sometimes it's good just to have good players (Origi isn't special at all, but he's good and capable off the bench) that don't cause problems, know their place (I know that sounds dodgy but you know what I mean) and with their enthusiasm and commitment they come on and give you deciding moments.

Those elite clubs you mention consistently have major issues with their confectioning of stellar squads that you sometimes wonder how the player can possibly accept his status at the club.

As far as I'm concerned you either sell one of your first teamers to then sign another elite footballer or you have to be very clever to sign those fringe players that fit into the system being implemented by the serving head coach.

Something Liverpool have done very well with Klopp is that they've signed players that can reproduce the system he requires from his players and the same happens at Manchester City which is why we have what we have in terms of final standings. Other clubs (that shall not be named) have just gone out and signed the dish of the day without a second thought to whatever project a coach wants to implement.

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Bet Barca wish they had Big Cock Divock, the man who smashed their dreams

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Bet Barca wish they had Big Cock Divock, the man who smashed their dreams

This is what I was referring to. He executed the moment that his coach asked from him and the fans hoped would happen. The issue doesn't lie in that area but it is something to think about where signing players to keep those that feel like undisputed first teamers under the spotlight and with decent competition available on the bench.

28 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

This is what I was referring to. He executed the moment that his coach asked from him and the fans hoped would happen. The issue doesn't lie in that area but it is something to think about where signing players to keep those that feel like undisputed first teamers under the spotlight and with decent competition available on the bench.

Tbh I think if Barca were actually paying attention instead of moaning to the ref that a corner was correctly given, that quickly taken corner wouldn’t have worked. Ter Stegen was still clapping and telling his defenders to pay attention... as he wasn’t paying attention and the ball is almost at Origi’s feet.

We definitely need more attacking depth. It’s the one area that the quality really drops off beyond the starting eleven that considerably.

21 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

And Origi has produced telling moments hasn't he?

Sometimes it's good just to have good players (Origi isn't special at all, but he's good and capable off the bench) that don't cause problems, know their place (I know that sounds dodgy but you know what I mean) and with their enthusiasm and commitment they come on and give you deciding moments.

Those elite clubs you mention consistently have major issues with their confectioning of stellar squads that you sometimes wonder how the player can possibly accept his status at the club.

As far as I'm concerned you either sell one of your first teamers to then sign another elite footballer or you have to be very clever to sign those fringe players that fit into the system being implemented by the serving head coach.

Something Liverpool have done very well with Klopp is that they've signed players that can reproduce the system he requires from his players and the same happens at Manchester City which is why we have what we have in terms of final standings. Other clubs (that shall not be named) have just gone out and signed the dish of the day without a second thought to whatever project a coach wants to implement.

There is something to having underdog players that can lift to the occasion, and enthusiasm youngsters keen as can be that push for a starting place, but it's also good to have sufficient depth and quality such that you'll not have your season vulnerable to derailment if one of your front three get injured.

Next year is a pretty crucial one in the Klopp project. We need to be appropriately hedged against injury prone defenders and a potential unplanned outage in our front three.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh I think if Barca were actually paying attention instead of moaning to the ref that a corner was correctly given, that quickly taken corner wouldn’t have worked. Ter Stegen was still clapping and telling his defenders to pay attention... as he wasn’t paying attention and the ball is almost at Origi’s feet.

We definitely need more attacking depth. It’s the one area that.

But that's football and playing Devil's Advocate I'd say that we would be taking away credit from Origi with that historic moment. He was alive to it and that's a talent in itself plus adding the factor of him wanting to prove a point. Hunger is as important as anything else and of course Klopp has to think about this but I would say not too much yet. Yes it's true those players won the Champions League this season just ended and add to it all that many of them participated in the previous final. For foreign players that's the maximum at club level but Liverpool also came pretty close to achieving the league title and that remains a target which will keep all of them hungry.

Adjustments to the playing staff are always required but going back to the reason behind this particular mini debate is that one must be careful of what's brought in. You guys yourselves (Liverpool fans) consistently say that the front three are irreplaceable or that you wouldn't change any for anyone out there.  I think that's exaggerated but I do understand it and THIS is where the dabete is, an interesting debate that we've diverted off-topic on this thread.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Doesn’t mean we don’t need depth just because our front 3 is so good

But what does that depth mean?

Let me put one out there for you, a name.

Lorenzo Insigne of Napoli.

An extremely talented player, very different to what you have but with a particular factor in his game that fits into perfection where Klopp's football ideal is concerned. He is very dynamic, but different to anything you have.

Imagine he was chased (this is all hypothetical but follow me)... Where would he fit in? I personally think, feel that he should be fa first teamer if he were signed but because of a fan's tribal and "one of our ours" psychosis, only a third party could think clearly. What would a signing like that without a departure do to the harmony within the camp?

I'm sick if us having an amazing first choice 11, but then a ropey bench. The best teams in the world have a bench that full of potential starters. We don't have that. 

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

I'm sick if us having an amazing first choice 11, but then a ropey bench. The best teams in the world have a bench that full of potential starters. We don't have that. 

You are the best team in the world. You knocked-out and outperformed what looked to be the best team in the world last season with Barça. I think this is all very subjective.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

But what does that depth mean?

Let me put one out there for you, a name.

Lorenzo Insigne of Napoli.

An extremely talented player, very different to what you have but with a particular factor in his game that fits into perfection where Klopp's football ideal is concerned. He is very dynamic, but different to anything you have.

Imagine he was chased (this is all hypothetical but follow me)... Where would he fit in? I personally think, feel that he should be fa first teamer if he were signed but because of a fan's tribal and "one of our ours" psychosis, only a third party could think clearly. What would a signing like that without a departure do to the harmony within the camp?

Insigne wouldn’t fit in with us imo. But look mate, it’s not that difficult - we are competing with Man City. Take a look at their bench last season and then another at ours.

And any new signing will have to fight their way into the first team and that’s a good position to be in. I think Pepe should know he’d be coming in from Ligue 1 and his new teammates he’d competing with a spot for are 2 of the best goal scoring wingers in a much better league.

Any wide player joining us should just take a look at what Salah and Mane have done for us and know that that’s the standard that’s expected if they want to start over them. And if some players don’t want that and aren’t going to fight for a spot then they’re probably not someone Klopp’s going to want

Our bench is very good now. I think we can even get away with not signing cover at full back because we have others who can fill in for the first choices.

I think we need one more up top though to bridge the gap in quality to Salah, Mane and Firmino. I love Origi and he come up with most of our big moments last season but I wouldn't be happy having him starting multiple games in a row of there was a long term injury. Bringing someone in doesn't necessarily mean they're coming in to solely act as cover for those three either. We've seen Klopp switch to 4-2-3-1 at times last season when Shaqiri was in form.

View image on Twitter

Jimmy McCann@JamesMcCann74

Hearing that Lille forward Nicolas Pepe has snubbed a move to Man Utd in favour of joining Liverpool.
A deal has been agreed and talks are on going. The fee is believed to be around £68m. Expecting this one to be done very soon. Would be a fantastic signing for Liverpool. #LFC

8:08 AM - Jul 10, 2019

182 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Not sure how reliable this bloke is?

• The title was changed to Nicolas Pépé - Lille to Arsenal Transfer Complete

Archived