The better place to talk football.

Nicolas Pépé - Lille to Arsenal Transfer Complete

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Nicolas Pépé - Lille to Arsenal Transfer Complete
3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Lille are absolutely being dismantled. 

Yeah it was always gonna happen after their season, especially since they needed to raise money. They're making some smart signings though and I expect them to do well again. They need to hold on to Bamba and Ikoné though, and I think they will.

At the beginning of the window this wasn't a signing I thought was possible. He was another player who had become too good, too sought after and too expensive for us to compete for. I'm genuinely shocked that we've pulled it off. I can't remember the last time I was so happy with a signing.

• 1 year later...

One of the biggest disappointments for me, was very excited when we got him but he just hasn't delivered whatsoever. I don't think we have helped him and he has never had a truly good run of games, but he is never consistent. The way some Arsenal fans still try to justify his performances is baffling, Zaha would've been the much smarter signing. 

17 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Worst signing in Premier League history @shut up

As bad as Pepe has been, didn't Chelsea sign Danny Drinkwater for £35m and I cannot think of a single thing he has done? I couldn't even tell you how many times he's appeared for Chelsea either.

Worse in my book for sure. I just think Pepe get's it all the time now as there is a bit of a bandwagon on him.

The only thing I would say though is, I can't believe things are that bad at Arsenal from an attack perspective that you cannot justify a squad number for Ozil. Madness.

The "worst Premier League signing" discussion has been ruined a bit recently because it's Kepa by an absolute mile, and I don't think you could make a reasoned argument otherwise. Solid first season is a bit of a myth as well as he was below par then, just not season-derailingly bad.

But yeah, Pepe just isn't good, and at 25 with a full season under his belt, he's fast running out of excuses. I think it goes under the radar a bit because Arsenal fans have plenty of other targets for their ire. One of them, Lacazette, profiles similarly to Pepe (or did when he was signed) and I'd find it concerning Arsenal seemingly didn't learn their lesson then

39 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Chelsea have a few contenders, Torres, Kezman,  Shevchenko were big fee flops. 

Amazing that they have kept on picking up trophies despite these failures, for most other clubs a signing failing as badly as them would be catastrophic.

It’s not that shocking tbh... especially those signings before FFP where they were just pumped up with oil money.

Archived