talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Nicolas Pépé - Lille to Arsenal Transfer Complete

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s not that shocking tbh... especially those signings before FFP where they were just pumped up with oil money.

Morata's the only other one I can think of in recent times. That said, those two moves alone, especially Kepa, were absolutely criminal so it's surprising to see Marina Granovskaia enjoy the reputation she does among Chelsea fans in spite of them.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Morata's the only other one I can think of in recent times. That said, those two moves alone, especially Kepa, were absolutely criminal so it's surprising to see Marina Granovskaia enjoy the reputation she does among Chelsea fans in spite of them.

A lot of our failed transfers come at a time where the club were yo-yo-ing the kind of football we want to play. Kepa however was a deal where Courtois really left us fucked, and clubs around Europe knew how desperate we were. 

That said, she is also responsible for negotiating the fee for:

Oscar and Ramires for a combined total of 100 million. 

Hazard for an estimated 130-150 million. 

Sold a declining Matic for 50 million. 

And just recently negotiated a lower asking price for both Werner and Havertz. 

Ok,  Barcelona is on the line and offer Dembélé/Griezmann for Pepe. Who says no?

22 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I'm surprised how bad Hazard has been at Real Madrid, really thought he had the ability to flourish there.

I feel like that it has a lot do with his body. 

Hazard seems to have a tendency to gain weight and as he´s approaching the 30s, it gets worse. That gain-loss of weight movement is terrible for the body. He probably needs to be more careful during his vacations. But the talent is still there, I still think he´s a top 10 player in the world. 

21 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

The "worst Premier League signing" discussion has been ruined a bit recently because it's Kepa by an absolute mile, and I don't think you could make a reasoned argument otherwise. Solid first season is a bit of a myth as well as he was below par then, just not season-derailingly bad.

But yeah, Pepe just isn't good, and at 25 with a full season under his belt, he's fast running out of excuses. I think it goes under the radar a bit because Arsenal fans have plenty of other targets for their ire. One of them, Lacazette, profiles similarly to Pepe (or did when he was signed) and I'd find it concerning Arsenal seemingly didn't learn their lesson then

To be honest I think the issue isn't really the player but more the style that the managers he's had at Arsenal want to play. He didn't fit Emery's system and doesn't fit Arteta's system (which is similar to Emery's but probably more defensive). The talent is definitely there and despite popular belief, he has shown signs of it. With his price you'd obviously expect more than a few signs but we haven't really seen him in a system that suits him. Don't think it really suits anyone playing in our front three to be honest... 

1 minute ago, shut up said:

He's got a goal or assist every 100 minutes for Arsenal this not. Not too bad at all. He's been a better signing than Keita, who has just been a massive waste for two years.

liverpool fans deflecting again.

Weird Keita obsession

9 minutes ago, shut up said:

Pepe had only been at Arsenal for a year and has shown flashes of brilliance but overall very inconsistent and needs to improve, but at least he's been available to play and make a contribution (a goal or assist in every 100 mins this season isn't too bad at all)

Keita has been crocked for over two years now. He's literally done nowt for liverpool. And i've just checked if he played against brighton and he's injured again xD

Keita definitely hasn't lived up to the hype around him before he signed. Clearly a quality player in there but can't keep himself fit. Weird because I don't think he was a sick note in Germany? He doesn't seem to like it when the going gets tough either I don't think. 

Liverpool are doing just fine with Keita only playing about 30 games a season though. If he somehow manages to live up to the hype then great but if he doesn't then he still has a part to play as a squad player. Arsenal need far more than that from Pepe

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, shut up said:

Liverpool's form in 2020 isn't great. You've just been beat by Atalanta and just dropped points to Brighton. Liverpool (this season) aren't 'doing fine' without Keita at all. First two seasons it hasn't mattered but this season you could really do with him contributing. 

Huh? They're top of the table in both competitions. 

Think that's pretty good xD

Hardly like they're languishing in mid table struggling without him. 

59 minutes ago, shut up said:

Liverpool's form in 2020 isn't great (compared with previous year). You've just been beat by Atalanta and just dropped points to Brighton. Liverpool (this season) aren't 'doing fine' without Keita at all. First two seasons it hasn't mattered but this season you could really do with him contributing. 

Top of Champions League group and as it stands top of the league. Will end the day in second after a difficult start and loads of injuries. Liverpool are doing fine

Pepe is dog shite and has suffered through the back of dodgy dealing as that is why people have lost their job at Arsenal over it, plus money has gone missing from this deal.  It is another disastrous deal by Arsenal and people used to say that Arsenal were a well run football club xD.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon 69 said:

Probably in the French league. PSG or Lyon might buy him for 30 million.

His end product was immense then he arrived at Arsenal and played under two managers who cripple attacking players. 

52 minutes ago, Cicero said:

His end product was immense then he arrived at Arsenal and played under two managers who cripple attacking players. 

His goal contributions are actually still right up there for us this season. He has talent, the system we're playing is just shit.

Archived