talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

• Subscriber

Seems to be a battle between the two Manchester clubs for Harry Maguire.

The word on the grapevine is he favours the blue half.

We apparently value him at £90million, which to be honest even in this market I don't think we'll get, but I can see him going for a lot still.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Dan said:

The word on the grapevine is he favours the blue half.

Lol, really? Shocking that he'd prefer the side that's actually able to compete for titles present day rather than the side that's looking like it's got yet another rebuilding season ahead of it. xD

I hope he stays at Leicester though. City don't really need him and they'll probably stunt his career (like they did with Mahrez) and United do need a better CB, but the world is better when they are dogshit.

• Administrator

Hope we keep him. He's flawed in some parts but there's also many other reasons that he's valued so highly of in most parts. 

A club like us, these days, don't need to sell our best assets just to keep the financies in the black. There's no pressure to sell to get money in. 

Apparently he doesn't even want to leave anyway. Just slap a ridiculous price tag on him anyway and watch clubs do one.

• Subscriber

Think the 90m is to deter clubs from trying to get him but would you really say no to that kind of money? If the deal can be closed soon then Leicester have the whole summer to pick and choose players as replacements and invest wisely too. Rip off one of the Manchester clubs and make good on a cheap investment.

• Administrator
Just now, Mel81x said:

Think the 90m is to deter clubs from trying to get him but would you really say no to that kind of money? If the deal can be closed soon then Leicester have the whole summer to pick and choose players as replacements and invest wisely too. Rip off one of the Manchester clubs and make good on a cheap investment.

To be fair, we wouldn't even need to buy a replacement. We've got Benkovic (who played for most of the season under Rodgers at Celtic), Caglar Soyuncu (youngster, played for Turkey national team already), Jonny Evans and then Wes Morgan. The latter 2 obviously getting on a bit but could still do a job, especially Evans.

Couple of reserves could come through, too.

It's why we don't need to sell. Nowadays clubs like us, Wolves, Everton, West Ham etc can say no to the money cos it's not like we're desperate for it.

I'd rather keep a good enough player for our squad than rip off a club just for the sake of it.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

To be fair, we wouldn't even need to buy a replacement. We've got Benkovic (who played for most of the season under Rodgers at Celtic), Caglar Soyuncu (youngster, played for Turkey national team already), Jonny Evans and then Wes Morgan. The latter 2 obviously getting on a bit but could still do a job, especially Evans.

Couple of reserves could come through, too.

It's why we don't need to sell. Nowadays clubs like us, Wolves, Everton, West Ham etc can say no to the money cos it's not like we're desperate for it.

I'd rather keep a good enough player for our squad than rip off a club just for the sake of it.

The issue with that is the player can get turned by the prospect of a better club and in reality if City comes knocking it doesn't really matter about whether the club needs the money anymore. He might not get as much game time but learning under someone like Guardiola might improve him in areas where he is deficient and thus improve his overall game as well. I think England would be the real beneficiaries in the end but like you said clubs these days dont need to sell just for the sake of it anymore. You wouldn't also necessarily use the money to buy another defensive player maybe an offensive one to supplement your attack as well. Vardy is getting on and someone to come in and play there wouldn't be such a bad idea i'd imagine?

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

The issue with that is the player can get turned by the prospect of a better club and in reality if City comes knocking it doesn't really matter about whether the club needs the money anymore. He might not get as much game time but learning under someone like Guardiola might improve him in areas where he is deficient and thus improve his overall game as well. I think England would be the real beneficiaries in the end but like you said clubs these days dont need to sell just for the sake of it anymore. You wouldn't also necessarily use the money to buy another defensive player maybe an offensive one to supplement your attack as well. Vardy is getting on and someone to come in and play there wouldn't be such a bad idea i'd imagine?

Maguire has already apparently said he doesn't want to leave. I know a footballer's word is about as trustworthy as a politician's these days but it's something to hang on to xD 

Agree about investing in other parts of the squad, mind.

• Subscriber

I'd still start Evans next year, our record with him is as good as any of the other centre halves.

If we did go for a replacement I'd go for Ake, but if we do then you've got to question why we spent about £35mil on Benkovic and Soyuncu a year ago.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Man City need a world class centre back not Harry Maguire. He’s probably more solid than United’s defenders so I can see why they’d go for him

Maybe to keep the homegrown quota going?

• Administrator
5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I can't see City being in for him. Probably a case of his agent/Leicester trying to get more out of Man Utd.

Better off staying with us than go to the car-crash of a club that Utd are right now. 

• Subscriber

£90m would be beyond ridiculous. That's 20% more than Liverpool paid for Van Dijk for fucks sake.

Nailed on he goes to United for £85m and Woodward thinks hes done a great job to get them down to that price. xD

For City he would be an upgrade on Stones but you could get two better defenders for £90m if you look abroad.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2019 at 18:20, RandoEFC said:

£90m would be beyond ridiculous. That's 20% more than Liverpool paid for Van Dijk for fucks sake.

Nailed on he goes to United for £85m and Woodward thinks hes done a great job to get them down to that price. xD

For City he would be an upgrade on Stones but you could get two better defenders for £90m if you look abroad.

Maguire isn’t that good imo and I think he’ll be exposed if United get back to fighting for top honours

Don’t think he’s a massive improvement on what they have tbh and probably wouldn’t be getting this move if he wasn’t English

• Subscriber

Quite right. Delighted we actually hold some power nowadays.

There's no way he'll go for £100mil by the way.

I'd cash in for a good amount tbh.

• Subscriber

I get the feeling Leicester have this method where we'll let one player go a summer if we're able to collectively strengthen. Like last year, we let Mahrez go and took the hit in his position, but at the same time we managed to get in Maddison, Ricardo and Evans who are all upgrades on what we had - as well as two promising centre halves in Soyuncu and Benkovic (those two cost a combined £30-35mil which I bet the majority weren't aware of).

Likewise here, if we sell Maguire for say, £75million, that will pay for Tielemans and allow us to get in either a quality, productive wide man (something we haven't had since Mahrez), or another striker, or simply just replace Maguire. It's tricky to know what to do with centre halves, because as stated we paid a fair bit for two last summer and if we aren't going to utilise them then you've got to ask why we bothered. I would rather use Soyuncu than go and sign Lewis Dunk who we've been linked with, and strengthen elsewhere.

This summer I'd like to see us sign Tielemans, Justin (he's pretty much a done deal), Maupay & Sarr. Maguire is a loss but how big a loss, time will tell - he's made plenty of defensive errors in this side.

• The title was changed to Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

Archived