talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Rick said:

I mean, I think Maguire is a decent player but if he was Spanish he would cost 15m. Fleece those mancs as much as possible please.

Weighing it up I hope we do. We'd get well over the odds for him. I could name about six players I'd keep over him.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
On 28/06/2019 at 19:40, Inverted said:

You can get a player as good for a third of the price Maguire will cost. An absolutely insane transfer, that only one of the Manchester clubs could consider.

The funny thing here is we possibly have done, twice, last summer.

It's not impossible that Benkovic and/or Soyuncu are as good, if not better.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Dan said:

The funny thing here is we possibly have done, twice, last summer.

It's not impossible that Benkovic and/or Soyuncu are as good, if not better.

Benkovic could definitely take his place, I think. Soyuncu not right now but could do within next 1-2 years. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Benkovic could definitely take his place, I think. Soyuncu not right now but could do within next 1-2 years. 

Benkovic seems to have injury problems that worry me. Soyuncu we blew a good chance to give some time to last season. To be honest our strategy makes no sense to me if we go and sign someone like Dunk or Tarkowski to replace Maguire should he go.

If we aren't going to play Soyuncu this year then loan him to a Norwich like side.

• Subscriber

702389828_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.bc7223d7ad23a6311883061e35d564d2.png

Harry Maguire: Manchester United bid £70m for Leicester City defender

Manchester United have made a £70m bid for Leicester defender Harry Maguire.

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keen to sign an experienced central defender and Maguire also has the leadership qualities he is looking for.

It is understood that Leicester's board have been made aware of Maguire's wishes and that the 26-year-old would welcome the chance to step up to what he regards as a higher level.

However, £70m would also be short of Leicester's valuation of the player.

The England defender, who has also attracted interest from Premier League champions Manchester City, signed a five-year contract last September and manager Brendan Rodgers made it clear at the end of the season he feels Maguire can develop even more if he remains at the club.

Maguire, who is currently on holiday, has been concerned at the prospect of Leicester pricing him out of a move away from the King Power Stadium.

United have already signed youngsters Daniel James and Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Swansea and Crystal Palace respectively. The addition of Maguire would take their summer spending to almost £140m.

United have had a long-standing interest in Maguire but they backed away from a deal 12 months ago because they felt the £70m that would be needed for a transfer to be concluded was too high.

Leicester would be loathed to lose one of their key men ahead of a campaign that, with no European football to distract them, offers genuine hopes of marking Rodgers' first full season as manager with a top-six finish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48839601

• Subscriber
50 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Leicester should snatch that. 

Why take the first offer? They're idiots. They'll cave in and give us 80.

I like Maguire but £70m is ludicrous, can't believe Leicester actually turned it down. If they can get £75-80m that's incredible business, I do think Maguire can make the step-up I'm just not sure if he will live up to that price tag though. 

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Why take the first offer? They're idiots. They'll cave in and give us 80.

I think they'll meet you somewhere in the middle, like 75.

They might be overpaying, but no matter how you slice it Wan Bissaka and Maguire is a massive improvement on Ashley Young and Phil Jones.

• Subscriber

I also like him and also think £70mil is over the odds, but it's a simple bargaining tactic that you don't just take the first bid. Man Utd will get desperate. I bet we get another ten million on top of that, and for me I say good luck to him and onwards and upwards to us.

• Subscriber

Leicester are in absolute heaven here. Maguire has nowhere near the indispensability that Mahrez had to them yet they've got the two most free spending clubs in the country ready to fight for him. Easily replaceable for half the price as long as they get their target right.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Panna King said:

Yesterday: Man United have £70 million offer for Harry Maguire rejected by Leicester 

Today: Arsenal make £50 million bid for Harry Maguire xD

Tomorrow: Arsenal bid £50,000,001 for Harry Maguire :ph34r:

• Subscriber

It's easy to laugh at United for bidding £70m for Maguire but somehow Leicester manage to be even stupider by turning it down. Maybe it's because they know United are big enough idiots to pay even more. Probably that actually.

• Administrator
Just now, RandoEFC said:

It's easy to laugh at United for bidding £70m for Maguire but somehow Leicester manage to be even stupider by turning it down. Maybe it's because they know United are big enough idiots to pay even more. Probably that actually.

Yeah sorry but we're not stupid at all for turning it down xD 

1 - it paves the way for higher offers either from Man Utd or Man City

2 - if no further offers then we have a player who is still capable of being a good defender in our squad for next season until bids come flowing next summer. 

When will people realise that pretty much any club in the Premier League can refuse offers for their players knowing they are more than likely financially sound and don't need the money (unless it's astronomically stupid like £100m for someone actually old like Crouch or Murray)?

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Yeah sorry but we're not stupid at all for turning it down xD 

1 - it paves the way for higher offers either from Man Utd or Man City

2 - if no further offers then we have a player who is still capable of being a good defender in our squad for next season until bids come flowing next summer. 

When will people realise that pretty much any club in the Premier League can refuse offers for their players knowing they are more than likely financially sound and don't need the money (unless it's astronomically stupid like £100m for someone actually old like Crouch or Murray)?

Maguire isn't worth £70m. You could easily sell him, buy an equal or better centre back, and make a tidy profit of £30m or more that could apparently pay for Ayoze Perez and still leave you change. It's not outrageous to question Leicester turning down that sort of money even if 'stupid' is a clear exaggeration.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Maguire isn't worth £70m. You could easily sell him, buy an equal or better centre back, and make a tidy profit of £30m or more that could apparently pay for Ayoze Perez and still leave you change. It's not outrageous to question Leicester turning down that sort of money even if 'stupid' is a clear exaggeration.

I know he's not 'worth' £70m. Barely any player that leaves for big money is 'worth' it. It's just a price tag slapped on a player which a buying club is then stupid enough to offer.

We don't need to buy another centre-back yet. We already have 2 (Benkovic/Soyuncu) and then perhaps a couple coming through our youth squad. 

1 hour ago, JOSHBRFC said:

The price on this when City have just signed Rodri for less is hilarious. English players are so overpriced, never fails to amaze me.

Maguire has a massive forehead, that costs extra 

On 03/07/2019 at 11:10, Panna King said:

Yesterday: Man United have £70 million offer for Harry Maguire rejected by Leicester 

Today: Arsenal make £50 million bid for Harry Maguire xD

And that's £20 million over the top  ..go back with a £30 million offer xD

• The title was changed to Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

Archived