talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

• Subscriber

You're having a laugh Teso. You're managed by a bloke who'd be lucky to manage Sheffield United with his CV. Obviously there are valid reasons for him going to Manchester United, the pull of the club is huge even in the current situation, but the set up at the minute isn't going to get the very best from him.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Dan said:

You're having a laugh Teso. You're managed by a bloke who'd be lucky to manage Sheffield United with his CV. Obviously there are valid reasons for him going to Manchester United, the pull of the club is huge even in the current situation, but the set up at the minute isn't going to get the very best from him.

Watch out, you might make him cry for "downgrading Man Utd"

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.db95c476dc7b8bf1c0cf5bf854d7af22.png

England defender Harry Maguire, 26, has been left out of Leicester's squad for Friday's friendly with Atalanta due to the ongoing uncertainty over his future, with the Foxes wanting a £90m deal if Manchester United are to sign him. (Telegraph)

Manchester United's current bid for Maguire stands at £80m and the club could spend more than £150m in total before the transfer window closes.(Independent)

• Subscriber

All but done. Lovely work. Said all along they'd cave in for silly money. Just don't go and buy someone bang average and go and get that class winger in.

• Subscriber

I think this is the deal that truly confirms nothing will change at United as long as Woodward is in his position, and probably as long as the Glazers are in charge. Even now with Solskjaer, Butt, and other "proper United" figures running things on the football side they continue to act like this on the non-footballing side.

There's no way Man City can be considered the ones throwing money around in England after this. Pogba, Lindelof, Lukaku, Sanchez, Fred, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire.

Well done Leicester City stuck to their guns and got an absolutely sensational deal. I like Maguire and think he is a good signing for United but £85m is insanity. People will point to Liverpool paying £75m for Van Dijk, but I feel like at least Liverpool had a plan in place and a very strong structure. United are still a bit of a mess and I can see Maguire failing, especially under the current regime at United.

There will be no excuses for Ole now, he is definitely not lasting long if it goes tits up early on. 

Truly terrible bit of business. Not because Maguire is a bad player (he's just a good centre back) but because it's about 50m more than his value, even in this mad market. 

Utd could have got Koulibaly for the same. Or if they had sense, triggered the 25m clause in Aderweireld's contract a fortnight ago.

Absolute idiots and it's hilarious. 

42 minutes ago, Eco said:

@Teso dos Bichos and @DeadLinesman

You guys can't be happy about this...right? 

They've paid well over the odds... but both he and Wan-Bissaka should make a big improvement on Ashley Young and Phil Jones. It's not their personal money, so while they might be annoyed United didn't show much financial sense... I don't think it's necessarily anything for United fans to feel bad about.

What I think this does do, that might be a big negative for United, is it puts a hell of a lot of pressure on Solskjaer - because there were cheaper options out there on the market, but they decided to go with what was the manager's obvious top choice. You can make the argument that United under Woodward show no vision, but going gung-ho for your top choice players is usually what you do when you've got a specific plan for those players (like when we failed to get Virgil the summer before we went back in for him in January... we didn't look to alternatives, we stuck to our guns and brought in the man we identified as "the one"). When you spend that much on a player you've pursued basically the entire transfer window, turning up your noses at other options (including Alderweireld and Koulibaly, who I think most people would agree are better CBs), you better have a fucking plan basically.

The good thing for Solksjaer is I can't fathom that United won't be much better defensively with Young and Jones out and replaced by their expensive new signings. But I suppose people can question whether it was worth this amount of money for a player, when there were better and cheaper options available... which would have given United more money to spend on what I think is their most pressing need if Pogba is staying at the club and is expected to be a key player. They need midfielders with a high workrate, they need more than just McTominay. With Juve and France, Pogba was a highly successful and influential midfielder when he's the finishing touch to an already very talented midfield. What we've seen in his time back at United is when he's the best midfielder in the side and the midfield isn't a well oiled machine... then Pogba is a very inconsistent player.

But on paper, the 2 bigger money signings definitely improve the shit out of United's backline. So I can understand why United fans would be pleased, and it looks like they've got their manager's top targets in... and there's always something to be said about that. But I agree that the overall transfer strategy for United this window can be questioned. I still think it's a bit more encouraging than previous seasons.

If United are still crap next season though, I think Woodward has to go. He's wasted so much money and it sort of blows my mind that Solksjaer was given the job permanently, then the wheels came off pretty spectacularly once he was given the job permanently, but Woodward is still willing to back him more than they backed Mourinho the season previously after he'd just come 2nd place (granted in a year where City ran away with the league without any real competition). Seems like if this money was there to spend, and United were okay with spending pretty frivolously, it makes more sense to back a man that's a proven winner in the league than a man who's track record isn't all that great as a manager.

Haha if that were Barca you wouldn’t be labeling this buy as a ‘price you have to pay for being an elite global brand’. 

United got beautifully rinsed and Leicester are laughing all the way to the bank. 

37 minutes ago, Rick said:

Truly terrible bit of business. Not because Maguire is a bad player (he's just a good centre back) but because it's about 50m more than his value, even in this mad market. 

Utd could have got Koulibaly for the same. Or if they had sense, triggered the 25m clause in Aderweireld's contract a fortnight ago.

Absolute idiots and it's hilarious. 

Both Alderwiereld and Koulibaly rejected them. 

Dybala the latest 

4 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

That money will be gained back quicker than Liverpool or LcFC could generate such revenue and they get to sell the jersey of the English CB with the best potential :what: that's the price man utd has to pay for being one of the richest sport teams. 

I’d love to hear that same argument when Barca overspends on a player. 

You just said he’d be 5th choice at United. Behind Smalling and Jones. So now he’s all of a sudden better, let alone England’s best CB? xD

1 minute ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

That money will be gained back quicker than Liverpool or LcFC could generate such revenue and they get to sell the jersey of the English CB with the best potential :what: that's the price man utd has to pay for being one of the richest sport teams. 

Yet when Barca waste money, do you criticise them? Last year you were mocking us for spending so much on VVD and Fabinho. Now you've got a defender that costs more than our entire starting back 4 did with VVD in it... and you're defending it.

And for the record, I'm one of the only non-Man Utd fans (if not the only non-Man Utd fan on here, at least so far) that's so far posted on here saying it's not so bad of a signing despite the price, that it's a clear improvement (at least on paper) for you in the position, and that there's something to be said about a manager getting his top players.

And I agree with you, when you're Manchester United and you really want a player... chances are you'll have to pay well over the odds when buying a player from another English side that doesn't want to sell. We've seen that recently at literally every single big club in England trying to sign another desired player from an English club, multiple times. But people can still question whether it was the right decision, considering it's arguably that United have other areas of the pitch they need to strengthen and there were cheaper options out there.

Ah so just because United have had more youth team players, which is a whopping 1 more than Barca, justifies their overspending as opposed to Barca. 

Also didn’t realise Barca took more pride in their academy than a club that produced the class of 92 and busby babes. 

Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

A man utd youngster has been involve in every goal so far this preseason whether via goal or assist. De Gea has his position cover but more youngsters will be given the chance in the rest of the positions. Man utd has the most potential when it comes to youth and there is no need to buy a Chelsea reject like Solanke. xD

Same as Barca. A Barca youth player assisted Rakitics’ goal against us and a Barca youth player scored all the goals against Kobe last week. 

We’ve won 5 of the last 6 FA Youth cups so keep believing you have the best youth just because they wear the United kit. Much like AWB being better than TAA going forward and now Maguire being the best English CB when a week ago you said he’d be 5th choice at United. 

• The title was changed to Harry Maguire - Manchester United Sign Leicester Defender For World-Record Fee

Archived